Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

custom true duals

4K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  Comanche 
#1 ·
I've always wanted true duals but dont wanna pay an arm and a leg or get something that i would have to cut up anyways. Took some stock mufflers and a set of inline4 pipes(38mm), grabbed my grinder and welder and went to town on them. Cut up and debaffled the stock mufflers and used the bends from the inline4 pipes. so far ive got about 19hrs of work and about $50 not including electricity cost. they will not be anything close to show quality but i will wrap and paint them black so they dont look like a hack job either. im running the rear pipe under the frame and have looked at clearance issues but there is always a "give and take" to everything. Just a few pics of where im at so far

front stock pipe Bicycle part Auto part Muffler Automotive exterior Vehicle

dreaming of duals Tire Vehicle Auto part Alloy wheel Automotive tire

inline4 pipes(one removed already) Auto part Material property Leg Hand Automotive exterior

used flanges and started tacking together Auto part Vehicle Motorcycle Engine Fuel line

mufflers welded back together Auto part Fender Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle

This is just a prototype and will post more later

See less See more
#2 ·
Just a thought. In the 4th photo were the front pipe joins the back pipe, might be good idea to add a curved piece were it joins. My thinking is that you may get alot of back presure on the rear cylinder this way were a curve will be more apt to help scavenge that cylinder.

#12 · (Edited)
Are you stationed there, attending school or working there? Just wondering since I've loved visiting there ever since I was in the Marine Corps. How cold is it right now over there?

Now on to the questions. Do you have sufficient room to run over and down between the radiator and front jug? What about the heat buildup in case it is a tight fit there? Just wondering so keep posting and let us know how that works out for you.

#13 · (Edited)
First and formost- Hats off and a warm hand shake to anyone who has served to protect all our rights and freedoms. Thank you for putting yourselves in harms way so that we can sleep safely.

well as for me ive been living in Nagoya for the past 12yrs teaching English.......more like showing English HEHEE and it about 10C now dang ive been here so long forgot what that would be in ferinheit

as for pipe routing im taking the rear down and under b/c round the front is gonna make the front travel quiet a ways and if i tried to make the rear go between the jug and frame out to the left im kinda worried about heat problems and having to relocate the ignition switch. Im trying to run it where the frame starts to angle up and between suspension assembly and the swing arm. Ive been asked about ground clearance. Its aready has a lowered shock(looks like a 3inch drop....not sure agian came with the bike) on it so im used to being very careful of bumps, curbs and the sort.

#14 ·
GOD BLESS you for that and you're just as much a Patriot based on your sentiments. That's a good gig you got there teaching (i.e. showing) English since my recollections point to the younger generations being absolutely fluent in English and the older generations refusing to communicate in English. Hope you get a chance to see Fuji when the weather's nice even if you already haven't done so. Looking forward to seeing your bike when it's done. How's the riding there on their freeways and streets? They are extremely efficient and safe drivers for the speeds they drive aren't they? Those tiny vehicles really crack me up though. Stay warm friend.

#15 · (Edited)
I will never question why a set of custom pipe cost so much.
after 47hrs to date i just got all the pipes tacked together and most of the fab work done. still have to do the "tack weld marathon" i only have a small stick welder and i have already blew a few hole so gotta basically go slow. still have to fab a few brace supports and slip-on clamps. and i hope to get all that done in 4hrs tomorrow *fingers crossed*

oh yeah the rear cylinder exhaust is now 8cm(about 3 1/2 inches) longer than the front. it shouldnt hamper performance much but its something im willing to live with

#18 ·
b4 i started doing the pipes and 100% committed i put the mufflers on where they would go, put up the kickstand and leaned her over. my floor boards are lower than stock pegs, ive lowered the front about an inch, the bike came with about a 3inch lower rear shock and still had a good 4inch clearance leaning over with my floorboard aready being pushed up. granted i wasnt on her while doing this but i dont think ill be leaning that far or taking corners at any speeds that require me to lean that far. if i have time ill try to set up the tripod and get pics

#19 ·
got all the welding done and took her for a test drive. boy its alot louder than i thot. was expecting the megaphone effect but not as loud and a bit higher tone than expected. well its the first of many more tries for sure. will post pics after clean up and paint

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.