Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

DIY kuryakyn triple whammy on my VN900 for about $5

34K views 97 replies 31 participants last post by  Seawolf_il 
#1 ·
I like the idea of "see-and-be-seen" and if I had my way I would light up my bike like a Christmas tree to be seen at night. Having a 900 Classic with only one red bulb seen from the rear was not cutting it. I like how some harleys have three red bulbs across the back, where their red turn signals glow all the time for increased visibility at night.

However, rather than spend $100 on the Triple Whammy, I decided to make my own for about $5 and some spare wiring (thanks eBay!)

From eBay, I purchased self-adhesive waterproof red LED lighting strip that uses SMD5050 LEDs (they are very bright for their size. I always look for these LEDs when doing projects like this).

Install was pretty simple. I opened the turn-signal housing, removed the bulb and the metal heat-shield inside.

I tried to find a way to get the wiring through the signal stalk so it would be seamless, but could not get the 1156 socket out of the chrome housing, and so decided to drill a small hole through the housing instead and run the wires under the stalk where they are barely noticeable.

The LED strip has an adhesive backing that is a 3M product and seems pretty sticky. I cut the strip so that 6 of the LEDs are intact. I stuck that to the inside of the housing, following the contours of the rear of the housing, and put a dab of hot glue on the ends for good measure. Sorry for the crappy cell pic to follow:

This shows the strip taped and glued into place in the back of the housing. The wires are just to the right, but to eliminate 'dark spots' seen through the reflector (especially if switching to clear reflectors) and to add a smidge of heat-protection, I covered the wires with metal duct-tape. A keen eye may notice that in this pic I ground-down the plastic ribs inside the housing, but this is not necessary. I was originally going to put the LEDs as a ring around the circumference of the housing, but getting over the screw holes was problematic and this worked just fine.

Then it was a matter of wiring. I can provide more details if needed, but it is very simple. I tapped the red wire for the rear license plate lamp as the + lead for the LED strips. For the - lead, I tapped the green + lead for the turn signal. This way, the current flows from the lamp bulb pigtail, through the LED strip, through the turn signal bulb, then to ground. Why do it this way instead of straight to ground? You could, but I wanted the red light to go away when the turn-signal is blinking. When the turn signal bulb is energized (turned on :) ) the LED strip sees +12V on both its wires which shuts it off, leaving the bright amber turn signal the only thing lit up.

Nice thing about this mod: It does NOT require clear lenses. Red will show through the amber lenses just fine.

I have a (low-resolution, sorry) video of how this works in action. The left-side turn signal (with amber lenses) is glowing red, and the right-side turn signal is flashing red/amber.

Click on it to see the video if you are curious :D

Thanks.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thank you. Now, I need to come up with something neat for the remainder of the strip.

I was thinking about frenching-in a row into the back of the passenger seat pad as kind-of a center-mounted-stop-lamp on a car. With a quick-disconnect of course.

#4 ·
Those are great ideas, Seawolf.

#5 ·
I like it, if I still had my lollipops I would do this in a minute! I'm still kicking my self for not going duel in the rear turns.

M

#6 ·
Nice mod! Idoes this just make it a run/turn, or did you also wire the brake light in somehow?

#7 ·
Thank you for all the props :)

Funny you should ask...

This is run/turn currently. That said, I already had a thought about adding in another strip into the housing (maybe another 3 LEDs) that would operate with the brake (but not when the turn-signal is blinking, like how I did the running light). It would be easy to do, All I would need to do is pull another wire (the + lead from the brake lamp pigtail) into the housing from the outside.

BUT, if I did the extra strip in the seat, I wouldn't really need the ones in the signal getting any brighter. Cars have a lamp that does not get bright, and one that does when the brake pedal is depressed, so that there is a differentiation that is easy to see...meaning it is easier to tell that the brake is on.

#23 ·
Just a thought.

I did your mod. With the alternating amber bulb and then red smled it looks great. Now was thinking of using dropping resistors to dim them a bit then wire in a full +12v from the brake to get them bright. With a couple diodes I think I can make it work. Your thoughts?

#8 ·
I'll stay tuned for the finished product - Very interesting!

#9 · (Edited)
If you get a trailer light module like this one, you can have the turn signals as run, turn and stop lights. This is basically the same exact thing as the Triple whammy. They are ripping people off with that thing IMO. They should have trailer modules at your local auto parts store for $20 to $30. You should probably tint your lenses Red with spray on lens tint too. I used one of these on my chopper and they work great.

#12 ·
NaPom: By finished product, you mean all three (stop/turn/tail)? I can do that. Problem is with a mod like this, a camera is not going to do it justice. You have to see it in person to appreciate it fully, but I'll do what I can and take some pics.

T-Sox: That is a brake light flasher, but now that is an interesting idea...have the main center brake light on full but modulate the lollipops on brake...you have caught my interest :) I agree that because it says 'motorcycle' on it, they rape you. As for tinting the lenses red, I like the red glow with the amber blink. I know that alternating colors like that may be illegal or not, depending on the state though federal DOT says red or amber is fine)

Motor and King: Thanks for the props :)

#13 ·
The module I'm thinking of is called a 'trailer light module'. They usually sell them at any auto parts store. They allow the 2 lights on a trailer to be used for running, brake and turn signals. On my chopper I only have two Red lights in the back. Just like on a trailer they serve for running, brake and turn signals. They are small lights but together they put out more than enough light.

#14 ·
Vary nice :cool:
I had my signals completely apart when I replaced both on the left side. They were aftermarket stock replacement type's. I ended up just replacing the cups because the wire was way too long and the stalks didn't quite color match.
You have your's almost there with the clips removed. If you pry up on the tab of the bulb socket then on the sides you can work it out of the stalk, it's only friction fit.
Then you might be able to just tap into the wires going to the socket. Getting them to fit around the outside of the socket when it's pushed back in the stalk may be the challenge though.

Attachments

#19 ·
I don't have any wiring diagrams, but it looks pretty straight-forward judging by the sticker on top. The only caveat is you need to cut your OEM turn-signal wires (it looks like to me) as these are intended to feed a separate set of lamps, the 'output' lead needs to go to the signal bulb wire.

I'll try to help here:
Cut the green turn signal wires in a place you can use the wiring later. I would suggest cutting them in the bulb's pigtail, because that would be easy to replace if you needed to.

==Car Side Wiring==
-Right Turn: connect to the green wire you cut that is still attached to the center of the bike, below the tail-light, for the right signal.
-Brake: connect to the brake bulb wire (I think it's red but I'm not certain. It is not the black/yellow wire)
-Left Turn: -Right Turn: connect to the green wire you cut that is still attached to the center of the bike, below the tail-light, for the left signal.
-Tail Light: Connect to the red lead for the license plate bulb (optional)

==Trailer-side==
-Left brake/turn: Connect to the green wire on the pigtail for the left turn signal.
-Right brake/turn: same, for the right-side
-Tail light: not used in this case. Use this to power some LED strips or some other supplemental lighting that is always on when the bike is on, if you want.

#25 · (Edited)
"Now was thinking of using dropping resistors to dim them a bit then wire in a full +12v from the brake to get them bright. With a couple diodes I think I can make it work. Your thoughts?"
Definately do-able. I have not measured the current draw or net resistance of the LED strip yet to do full calculations on what you are proposing, however I think around a 330ohm resistor would be a good place to start, though you may wish to change that to taste. You would really only need 1 diode on the non-resisted lead but you could do a diode on both if you wish. Just note that an additional diode drops the input voltage by 0.7V which in turn dimms the LEDs slightly as well so you may want to choose a lower resistor value in turn.

___________/-----330R-----\
+12-14.5V -->.......................------{+ LEDstrip -}----to GND or MAJOR Turn
___________\------{ |}------/

Hey guys, is anyone else able to find those LED light strips for about $5?
Not exactly $5 but close

LED Strip:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-light-strip-5050-SMD-60-m-18-ft-waterproof-adhesive-backing-lead-wire-/261079856781?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item3cc992768d#ht_500wt_1192

I used 6 LEDs in each housing for reference. You could buy the 8" 12-LED strip for $5.50 and cut it in half.

#26 ·
OK, I got it. Used 470 ohm /1/4 watt resistor to dim the LEDs for running and full voltage for brake lights. Added a diode to prevent grounding the LEDs through the brake circuit when engaging the brake. Works fine. I get the bright brake, dimmer running and alternate yellow lamp to red LED on turn signals. My hat is off to you sir! Great idea! My total cost was under $30 and about 3 hours of time. Have LEDs left over so am exploring additional placements. Thanks for the great idea!

#29 ·
Thanks man, maybe I should have gone with that, but I went for the 2" strips Seawolf just listed above (mostly because they were the right size and he posted it just as I was trying to find them).

I ordered two red strips, and two white strips for the amber lenses of a dual-sport bike I have that does not have driving lights on either front or rear. White for the front (to be seen as amber), and reds for the back. This should be pretty cool (and safer) if they fit and it all works.

#30 ·
Seawolf,
Waht mechanisim did you use to connect the wires from your tail lamp and turn signal to the led strip. Did you solder or use a mechanical connector to the led strip? Any info would be appreciated. I'm ready to install my led strips as long as I can get past the connection question.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.