Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Cobra exhaust

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  angelo 
#1 ·
my name is ronen and i have a 1997 vulcan classic

i instolled new open cobra longshots with stock baffeles .

but have a problem : got some "holes" in power flow when trying to accelerate

carb is ok (been checked twice ).

i have been told that changing the stock baffeles to quiet core baffeles will solved the "power flow" problem (and also reduce the sound by 3-5 d)

does anybody have expeirenced this problem? :confused:

#2 ·
Cobra Quiet Core baffles will increase exhaust back pressure, when you installed the Cobra Longshots exhaust, it caused a decrease in back pressure and fresh fuel scavenging, and the holes in the power flow as you describe it I assume you mean is a hesitation when starting off and increasing the throttle from start. The Cobra Longshots lack of back pressure is causing this problem and the solution is to open up the pilot air screw under the carb more turns to increase more fuel into the pilot circuit

#3 ·
thanks for your reply

i already turn the pilot air screw and it improved the situation but steel have this "hesitation" problem when trying to accelerate in between 50-70 mph.

above 70 mph there is no problem accelerting (not that i reach this speed often ):)

i have been told the baffles will solve this.

#5 ·
No cobra experience - but the same with V and H. Open baffles lose midrange and torque. Added baffles and got back the mid and torque. Didn't dyno, but it is a very real difference in those ranges. You will feel the difference.

Moving forward, I wanted a little more sound, so drilled holes in the slug end of the baffle. Found the mix of performance and sound I wanted. You will too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.