Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bikes and guns

25K views 196 replies 49 participants last post by  Lunatic 
#1 ·
I was with an experienced rider a few weeks back, a guy who likes to tour the country much the way I plan on doing with my Voyager. He packs a handgun for long trips, for self defense. Has a concealed weapon permit.

I for one am not that experienced with shooting, but I must admit riding alone through a big city I feel very vulnerable. If I were to make a weapons purchase, I for sure would seek training and practice.

I was curious as to opinions on this forum. I am sure I will get a variety, but that is ok. I might learn something.

Thanks!

#117 ·
goosfraba, everyone, goosfraba, goosfraba, goosfraba. Now lets sing. I feel pretty.

I believe we all need to do what lunatic says. Step back and take a breath.

#119 ·
I, for one, have enjoyed reading and following this thread. I have not participated because it would have just been a repeat of opinions already expressed. Thanks to all who did participate.

#120 ·
I can see now what kind of forum this is and it's not for me.

Maybe you should just go back to Huffington Post or Politico where no one challenges your ideas or presents you with opposing viewpoints to consider. Bubbles of agreement are so much more comfortable to live in.:D

#121 ·
Scott nailed it. While topics that are very political or religious in nature almost always get closed (and I fear might be the fate of this one too if things continue in this direction), that happens only when the direct insults and hatefulness starts to get thrown around. Religious threads often get shut down quickly because they often veer in the direction of insults (or some other speech that violates the terms of service, sometimes things get extremely inappropriate in those threads, I suppose to 'shock' the more conservative readers, I dunno) very very quickly. Political threads usually hit that too, but usually it takes a while, or they quietly taper off.

We generally do suggest topics that are religious or political in nature be kept to a minimum, but, many of us have made some great friends and acquaintances here and sometimes we like to discuss OTHER things. We've never closed a thread purely because of it's religious, political, or otherwise content. We've closed many, many threads, however, when the mud started to fly. We have closed, infracted, and banned people from both sides of the political and religious spectrum all for the same reasons. If you can respect the other members, chances are, you'll never ever have a problem. There are plenty of forums that are not like that, but that's not this one, we do REQUIRE that people respect one another and make it civil, and the content reasonable. That's not for ANY religious reason, NOR for any political reason. That's just because it's what the MAJORITY of the members have always wanted, and because it's what has worked so well for us. There are lots of places where anything goes and some are more comfortable there- not a problem. But this is one place where we keep a lid on things and some of us prefer that environment. That's why there are several different forums out there!

I won't comment again on my signature or anything else like that. We've covered that already in another thread!

But, to get back on topic! I really think this debate sounds a lot like the helmet debate. You have those who believe in prevention AND protection. You have others who believe, with enough protection, you don't need prevention (like full gear wearers speeding down the highway in between cars at 180). There are others who believe, with enough prevention, you'll never need protection. And you have those who believe the protection is morally wrong, or just silly and unnecessary. Nothing wrong with any of those viewpoints, we're all adults and can make our own decisions!

I have faith that this thread will turn back in the direction it was before, informative debate without insults. I think we can do that!

#124 ·
lol timb... as a fellow "the walking dead" viewer i can also say that firing a gun should only be used as a last resort as the sound of the gunshots will attract walkers from miles away !!!

#126 · (Edited)
That show only partly satisfies.:):(:confused:

The fun part of the Zombie apocalypse is the unlimited resources.
Why did they not use hog panels and cattle guards at the farm for zombie horde re-direction.
Why did they not have every four-wheeler and side-by-side in the county strategically placed around the farm for a quick get away.
There should have been at least one car for every survivor.

Why do you have a woman that is 9 months prego and not have formula on hand.

WHERE IS CARL????:) (reference to season 2)

Scott

edit: the use of the word 'fun' is in no manner to be construed as a desire to see the world population decimated by a viral, magical or alien caused plague that turns the infected into flesh eaters.

#139 ·
After stalking this thread I guess I'll throw in my .02. I've had my CCDW for a little while now, always had guns just never carried them but I upset the dregs of society in my job and was threatened once so now I do. For carrying I bought myself the Ruger LCP. It fits in my back pocket just like a wallet and no one is the wiser. Sometimes I'll carry my Bersa Thunder in the small of my back but only if I'm wearing enough to completely cover it. I'm of the mind set, don't start no trouble and there won't be any trouble but if threatened I want to have a fighting chance.
Was having a conversation with my FIL Monday night over dinner with some friends and the topic came up. In the conversation I made some kind of comment about having seven tries to get away infering that the LCP carries seven rounds and he said something about having 19 shots and all fit in the grip yada, yada and I said yeah but it's no good if it's at the house. He got the hint that mine was in my pocket and his was at home:) It amazes me how people get all in a tizzy about guns in the home. I was raised in a house with a gun cabinet (no lock) in the hall way with about nine rifles and shotguns. Big deal, I knew it was there, I knew what was in it, it was just a piece of furniture that held dad's hunting rifles. My kids know where mine are, they know what they are and they know they're not toys and not to touch them.

#140 ·
After stalking this thread I guess I'll throw in my .02. I've had my CCDW for a little while now, always had guns just never carried them but I upset the dregs of society in my job and was threatened once so now I do. For carrying I bought myself the Ruger LCP. It fits in my back pocket just like a wallet and no one is the wiser. Sometimes I'll carry my Bersa Thunder in the small of my back but only if I'm wearing enough to completely cover it. I'm of the mind set, don't start no trouble and there won't be any trouble but if threatened I want to have a fighting chance.
Was having a conversation with my FIL Monday night over dinner with some friends and the topic came up. In the conversation I made some kind of comment about having seven tries to get away infering that the LCP carries seven rounds and he said something about having 19 shots and all fit in the grip yada, yada and I said yeah but it's no good if it's at the house. He got the hint that mine was in my pocket and his was at home:) It amazes me how people get all in a tizzy about guns in the home. I was raised in a house with a gun cabinet (no lock) in the hall way with about nine rifles and shotguns. Big deal, I knew it was there, I knew what was in it, it was just a piece of furniture that held dad's hunting rifles. My kids know where mine are, they know what they are and they know they're not toys and not to touch them.
That's the ticket. Teach the kids, let them shoot them (under supervision of course. Figured I would add that before some SA said something about it) and develop an understanding of what they do and how they work and most importantly a RESPECT for the firearms. I grew up the same way and was taught the first thing you do when you pick one up is to assume it is loaded and keep your finger off the trigger unless your intentions are to shoot.

#142 ·
Kahr

I have had a CCW since the first year it was offered here in Texas. I am an avid hunter and have competed in all forms of shooting sports for almost 40 years. I have a fair amount of firearms but my favorite "Carry" pistol is a Kahr TP9 with night sights. This model has a 4" barrel and slightly longer grip but is still very slim, compact and accurate for close encounters although, unfortunately not in Kahrs lineup anymore. I would highly recommend a Kahr for personal protection because I have never had a malfunction and I shoot it regularly to remain proficient.

#163 · (Edited)
I have had a CCW
If that's true, then I would think that you would know that Texas issues CHLs (Concealed Handgun Licenses), not CCWs (Concealed Carry Weapons?).

#143 ·
I highly recommend everyone to carry some form of protection, whether licensed or not. If you pack a firearm and don't have a CCW, just make sure you know how to use it effectively. The bad guys don't care about the law, most police arrive AFTER the incident, and you have the right to self defense, no matter what the law says. Carried by six or judged by twelve, your choice, but if you get the bastard, he can't hurt anyone else after that, right?

With that said, guns are evil and kill people...

#155 ·
Hypothetically speaking, of course, if you carry illegally how are you any better than the other common criminal?

In most places these days it's not that hard to get a carry permit. Save yourself the hassle of a conviction that could strip your right to own guns.

#146 ·
All this gun talk is leading me to bring up something else.

According to Florida's law's on concealed carry, there are certain places Thou Shalt Not Carry. For example, the post office. A bar. etc.

Suppose you're riding around on your cruiser. Assume you don't have hard bags. You want to stop and get your mail. Or you want to stop and get a beer and a burger.

What do you do?

I've actually thought about having a small metal box welded together and mounted under the bike in a concealed location so I can lock the firearm in it.

#154 ·
#157 ·
#153 ·
Forget the zombie and extraterrestrial alien invasion nonsense. Has anyone seen Jesse Ventura's show Conspiracy Theory? Specifically, about The Bilderberg Group, the NWO, the Georgia Guidestones, etc.? Google that stuff man. It's a trip.

#158 ·
Up here in the frozen north all we are alowed to carry concealed is a 2KGBB( 2 kilogram slab of back bacon).:) this makes it very difficult for us to defend ourselves against criminals packing heat. It is a circus just to get a gun for hunting as we are required to register them with the government so they can keep track of who has what. We are only allowed to rely on our pugilistic skills BUT we will be charged with assault for defending ourselves and put in jail with bubba the squirrel molester.

#160 ·
I thought you had to show proof of back bacon ownership just to cross provincial borders.:D
And the only other way, was to bribe the officials with maple syrup.

UUMMMMM maple syrup!

Scott

#170 · (Edited)
The point is it's semantics under the law, by which you will be judged if it comes down to that.

Previously someone mentioned God. Hopefully nobody is really going to push that point because where does Gods law allow you to kill someone? Last time I checked the 6th Commandment I didn't see a footnote to "Thou shalt not kill." .

So, in fact, it is man's law/statute that allows you to kill in certain circumstances (at least without going to prison, anyway), not God's law. All the rhetoric doesn't change that.

#189 ·
The point is it's semantics under the law, by which you will be judged if it comes down to that.
Actually, I will ultimately be judged by God alone. Oops, there's that word you hate again.

Previously someone mentioned God. Hopefully nobody is really going to push that point because where does Gods law allow you to kill someone? Last time I checked the 6th Commandment I didn't see a footnote to "Thou shalt not kill."
This Commandment is universally understood to mean that one shall not murder, as in the unjustified taking of the life of another. Do you really not know this or are you just playing dumb?

So, in fact, it is man's law/statute that allows you to kill in certain circumstances (at least without going to prison, anyway), not God's law. All the rhetoric doesn't change that.
No, it is God's (natural) law that allows for this, from which all valid law originates. Any man-made law that violates God's law is invalid. The threat of prison has absolutely nothing to do with it. People have been unjustly imprisoned for millennia.

#171 ·
You want to narrow Biblical believe down to a few verses in the Torah, therefore you wish to ignore the other 68 books of the Bible, but only in this instance. In the next argument you will chose one or two other verses to summarize all of Christianity or Judaism. In fact, before you narrow self defense down to one verse you should read all of the first five books of the Bible so you would find for example: Exodus 22:2-3 2 "If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed."

I did not mention God, I mentioned natural rights. I believe natural rights come from God, but many others believe they are inherent in our make up. Self defense is completely natural. Why do you think deer have antlers, cattle used to have horns, etc.? Our founding fathers understood natural law, some attributed it to God, others did not. Marcus Tullius Cicero, who died before Jesus was born, certainly understood naturally law and wrote and excellent treatise on just law.

People like you just want to take away the rights of others and wrap their politics in demogogary using words and phrases like red herring, vigilantism, *******, word games, extremist, etc., etc., etc.

Let's take the instance of the Autozone incident. Here an employee chased off an armed robber with is own weapon, a Glock. He also exercised restraint and did not shoot the armed criminal. Had he shot the criminal (and don't tell me alleged), he would have paid and paid dearly. Not by being convicted, although a jury might convict based on all the circumstanced, but by much more. Still, I think any decent defense attorney could get him an acquittal based on self defense/defense of others, if he were charged. However, even if not charged he would pay in many other ways. It is never a minor thing to take the life of another.

#172 · (Edited)
People like you just want to take away the rights of others and wrap their politics in demogogary using words and phrases like red herring, vigilantism, *******, word games, extremist, etc., etc., etc.
You're so hell bent on "there are not laws that hold me back" thing you haven't even heard a word I said. All you're doing is reading what you wanted to hear rather than what I actually said.

So, let me spell it out to you real slooow and easy.

1. I believe you have an inherent right to self defense. I have not said otherwise so don't bother looking.

2. How you exercise your inherent right to self defense will be judged by man, using man's law. It has been this way literally since the dawn of time and that's not changing.

Clear enough?

#175 ·
This has got to be one of the more interesting threads I have read. Regardless of lawful, unlawful, legal, illegal, I believe we have the right to self defense. I will defend my family, and myself if in harms way. I will carry when traveling, especially through desolate areas (bike or car). As with most, just be descret. I would rather defend my actions with law enforcement than see one of my family injured or killed. I also hope to never be in a situation where I have to act (much like law enforcement hopes to never fire a weapon), but I do practice if the day ever comes, as does my wife and kids (both adults now).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.