Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Installing Baron's front pulley-Help

11K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  bosco 
#1 ·
I just got my baron's 34 teeth front pulley and I'm taking to the shop for instalation and belt adjustment after new pulley.

Or

Maybe i can do it myself if there is any instruction that came with it. but no there is not. :(

SO.....If anyone have done this themself or have any pix showing what to do, PLEASE let me know. I looked around the forum but no luck of step by step, installing and adjusting.

Thank you guys. !!!!

#2 ·
Lol...stupid me.....i went on scootworks website and found that they have instruction about the front pulley......I would say it should be the same ??? the pulley are the same shap and size.....installation shouldn't be different and adjustment.

If anyone did it them self please give me a heads up what to watch out for and what not to do. Thanks

#3 ·
The pulley change should be a simple matter, an impact may be needed to remove the nut. The belt tension is important to belt life and ridabilty. Make sure your wheel is alinged properly, not on an angle to the bike. If you are comfortable with setting the tension, should be a piece of cake. Good luck which ever way you go.

#4 ·
Yeah... :( after i read the instruction with pictures......I dont have bike jack to jack it up so i can't adjust the tire nor the tension because i dont have tension gauge tool and torq wranch. the most important three tools for working on the bike i dont have it.....what a joke right......i put everything on my bike and never needed them......wish i have extra money for those tools and jack. so...i have to go to the shop and let them do it....thanks guys...
it was pointless to ask since i have no tool for it X( damn it

#8 ·
Evo, I know your original plan was to have the shop do it, and would stick with this plan for now. It takes time (money) to build up some tools. I have been building on my tools for 35+ years (still do it). That being said, HF (Harbor Freight) has some good stuff to get you started, and it's well priced for the home mechanic. Watch for their sales, and you can get their MC jack for a great price, plus torque wrenches on sale for $10, etc. It's like a guys tool heaven.... :D

Let us know how you like the new pulley.

#10 ·
Evo, I know your original plan was to have the shop do it, and would stick with this plan for now. It takes time (money) to build up some tools. I have been building on my tools for 35+ years (still do it). That being said, HF (Harbor Freight) has some good stuff to get you started, and it's well priced for the home mechanic. Watch for their sales, and you can get their MC jack for a great price, plus torque wrenches on sale for $10, etc. It's like a guys tool heaven.... :D

Let us know how you like the new pulley.
yeah i was looking at the website last night for the jack, every one of them is pretty big. I live in an apartment that have underground parking and my own spot, but i can't leave anything there or someone will take it i'm sure.
i have no place to store the jack once im done using it. so its kind of a bumer.
the torq wrench and tension gauge is my next thing to buy for sure. also baron's make a small scissor lift hold up to 1000 lbs but cost 170. kind pricy.
but is small and easy to store in my storage closet.

I'm done with most of the accessories on the bike. I'm not going to buy an aftermarket pipe like cobra i use to have or air intake and than i will need proccessor.....thats another 1000 dollar all together for three item... so no!! from now on i'm telling myself to save the money for tools and maintnance. will need new oil...tire.....break pads....etc sooner or later. those are the money spend that we usually dont see. two new tires later maybe cost 300 to put on and purchase. and yes i want the bigger one like 200/70-15. break pads maybe 40+installation. oil change i do it myself but thats maybe 20 dollar...all this little money add on so im start saving from now.

OMG I talk too much....later!!!:eek:

#5 ·
How much will the shop charge compared to buying the tool needed?
You could be better of getting a quote and then finding out how much the tools are.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#6 ·
My shop i know:85 install
dealer i know:95 install

tools
torq wrench: 50 ~ 80 depends what brand and what range or torq
tension gauge: 20
motorcycle jack: not sure...maybe 150 ~250

i rarely use the jack ....so its pretty much one time deal....
so i guess just let the professional do it. its my first time anyway.
but thanks man... thats a good comparson.

#7 ·
I have 70K on my bike and plan on tackling replacing the belt, front pully and brake disc this winter. Just waiting on christmas vacation time. I also plan on removing the swingarm assy so that I can lube, touchup any rust, etc. I have a MC jack and use it all the time changing oil, cleaning the bike, etc. You can get one for around 60 bucks at Harbor Freight on sale. Worth the investment if you have space for storage.
keep that shiny side up.

#13 ·
Harbour Freights has some very good deals to get you started, But one warning on their bike jacks. Not sure if all, but think is just the cheaper ones. When you try to let the down, they drop fast and suddenly. 1st time I used one, was my friends jack on his bike. He had ratchet strap around bike holding it on the jack. I tried to let it down about an inch, and it dropped almost all the way. If the strap hadnt been holding it, am sure the bike would have came off the jack.

#14 ·
Echo this... I have a HF MC jack. After reading the comments found out it works the opposite what one might think. To lower it slowly you have to push the foot lever down all the way, then it drops at a snails pace. Once I figured this out and got past the initial fear of pushing the release to the floor, I was good. Jack works great.

#17 ·
First time I have seen the rear pulley from Baron's. The Black looks good. Baron's is close if replacing both 34F / 62R it's 11.5% reduction. I did the SW Front & Rear earlier this year (spread out over a couple of months as you're right it's expensive). But, love the reduction it provided. Also, like the stretched out gears as well. Riding local back roads (40-55) I am in either 3rd or 4th gear just cruising.

#21 ·
Got the pulley installed this morning and rode it home only like 3 miles local.
didnt get a chance to test ride to work today, the weather said its going to rain soon after 3pm so i rode my scooter with full rain gear. lol
will test tomorrow and go on freeway. all the way to malibu beach PCH. thats freeway and local both test.....wish me luck.

#22 ·
OK guys.....installed last week and been raining all weekend. today stoped raining and i have a day off.....went on freeway and WOW......i feel a lot less vibration pass 65 to 75.
this is so great. no noise or any problem....baron's pulley is the way to go.
can't imagin if i get a bigger tire 200/70-15 later.it will be even better :)

this is the 2nd best mod i have done to the bike......loved it!!!
should have done this first long time ago !!! damn it.

#23 ·
Evo, how much did you pay for the install? I will try to see if I can do it myself, if not I'll take it to the stealer. Went to Barons site, hit "buy" and got redirected(don't know why)to Cruiser Customizing and got the pulley for 162. It will be here tomorrow.
What was your first mod?
I also got my 2nd gen Dobeck TFI for 169 from powersportssuperstore and looking to install ASAP to get rid of popping.
Sometimes I miss PCH since I lived in S.Cal and N.Cal for 20yr. But I love this uncrowded place. Took me 10 years to say that...
Happy Holidays to all

#24 ·
it took them 1.5 hours to install for 130 from the shop i know.
i got it from phat and only cost 145 free shipping next day to me. im in los angeles. they are in oc. good luck with your installation, los angeles shops are expensive to do anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.