Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Winshield Angle

7K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  Diamond Jim 
#1 ·
After riding my V2K a few times with a factory windshield I found that I am getting a lot of air from under it. Enough to shake my helmet and head. What it feels like the windshield has created the up draft in air. So I decided to to tip the top of the windshield back and drill some new holes in so it is closer to the same angle as the forks. I have not had a chance to try it out yet but boy it looks a lot better like that.

#2 · (Edited)
Been done on many a V2K. Do a search on here, there is plenty of info on it.
I changed the upper slot on the brackets to an L shape so I could tilt mine back as you say. Mine is now approximately the same angle as the forks. Looks way better and vastly improved the buffeting.

I did a quick search and came up with this thread. It also has some pics I posted of the mod and 1 of my bike and me after the mod.

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12222&highlight=windshield+tilt

#3 ·
That is pretty well the same thing that I done except I left my windshield up high because with it at the factory angle I got blasted in the head with it at its lowest position. Also I just drilled a hole. I did not cut mine out in to an "L" shape. I also saw later in that thread where someone used some HD lowers. I may have to look in to that if changing the angle is not enough. BTW how tall are you?

#5 ·
I take the hint. I will get some this evening. It was dark by the time I was done last night. I have to work outside, I do not have a garage.

#6 ·
I am not certain that height is an issue. The stock windshield (I have a 900 LT) is at an angle that does not push the wind around you and thus causes a lot of buffeting. Angling the bottom out would be a benefit. The stock windshield is just a blocker and will take off some of the wind pressure at speed and will provide some protection from impact - but that's it. My personal opinion is that windshields are really for up to 55 mph, after that you need a fairing. Of course, you can go without either.

#7 ·
I am not concerned about the height. I was just wondering how tall he was since he posted a pic of him sitting on his bike after he done pretty much the same thing I had done.

I believe I am getting that swirling air from the bottom of the shield. Like when riding in the back of a pickup truck you can feel air coming from the back of the truck. I can hold my hand down next to the tank and that eliminated a lot of it (that was before I changed the angle).

I agree I need, well want a fairing but I can't get the wallet to agree to that yet.

#8 ·
I went with the OEM Lowers on my 04 V2K. Part No. K46001-328A
They made a world of difference with the up draft coming around the tank. What used to hit me on the chin & lifted my face guard on the 3/4 face helmet now hits well below my chest. They complement the National City Shield using the standard mounting hardware that came with the bike when I bought it used.

#9 ·
I went with the OEM Lowers on my 04 V2K. Part No. K46001-328A
They made a world of difference with the up draft coming around the tank. What used to hit me on the chin & lifted my face guard on the 3/4 face helmet now hits well below my chest. They complement the National City Shield using the standard mounting hardware that came with the bike when I bought it used.
Is that for the Classic or the regular 2K?

#15 ·
I looked at them today and saw that they called for a different part number for the Classic, which is what I have.

Approx. 5' 10"
That actually give me a good idea of how it will line up with me since I am 6'.

#11 ·
I matched the windshield angle with the forks on my '06 Classic LT, worked great in that the buffeting was less and the windshield moved down to jsut the right height for me (I'm 6 feet tall). I also have Kuryakyn lowers which also helped, still get some buffeting at my upper chest/lower face area. Anyone got any suggestions on that? If I hold my arm in front of me as if to lean down with my elbow on the gas tank the buffeting disappears. I am thinking perhaps a fairing but my better half does not like the look....

#12 ·
I built my own lowers and leaned the windshield back to match the fork angle, made a big difference in the buffeting.:D
I am currently on my 3rd set of lowers. I have been experimenting with
different lengths,widths and angles.
I have found that length and angle has more effect than width in lessening the buffeting.:)
Currently working on the 4th, and hopefully last, set. which I will not be able to test tell spring :(

And I know Smed, Pics will be posted than......:rolleyes::rolleyes:

#13 ·
I built my own lowers and leaned the windshield back to match the fork angle, made a big difference in the buffeting.:D
I am currently on my 3rd set of lowers. I have been experimenting with
different lengths,widths and angles.
I have found that length and angle has more effect than width in lessening the buffeting.:)
Currently working on the 4th, and hopefully last, set. which I will not be able to test tell spring :(

And I know Smed, Pics will be posted than......:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Post some pictures with measurements and I'll test them for you. We are able to still ride in south Ga. I've had my windshield angled back for a while but I'm still getting the up your nose that only the proper lowers can cure. I've got enough 1/8 " plexiglas to make 10 pairs just lying around.

#17 ·
Ok, Finally here are some Pics of the difference is looks.

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

#19 ·
I may do that. I have not had an opportunity to take it for a test run yet.

#22 ·
The caps on the oem risers or handle bar brackets are what i used in the exact same way ! They work perfect are chrome and sets the angle of the windshield like you wouild want it. So if you put new risers on your v2k and kept your caps from the stock riers you are all set. Loosen the top set of bolts, remove the lower set put the bracket on replace the bolts add 2 new bolts with nuts, locktite and you are good to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.