Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

November BOTM entry thread

15K views 56 replies 14 participants last post by  MN-Rider 
#1 ·
Please post your bikes here to be entered in this month's Bike of the Month contest!

To enter your Vulcan, all you need to do is tell us a little about it, and post some photo(s). And don't forget the story behind the bike because that can often turn the trick!

The winner for each round will be chosen by our members' votes! A new voting thread will be created near the end of the month.

Year:
Model:
Eng size:
Pipes:
Seat:
Wheels:
Accessories:
And the story:

As long as you haven't won in the past year you can enter again.

Please post your entries in the active month's thread. That thread will be closed at the end of the month. We'll start a poll with that month's entries and the winner will be named and have their bike featured on the home page.

Also note that if you are new to the forums, you will not be able to vote in the contest until you have accumulated 15 posts

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
2010 Vulcan 900 Custom with Cobra Speedster Shorts, Mimic 240 rear, stock front, Cobra FI2000R, Kustomwerks Rear Fender with Britt seat, LA Choppers 14" x 1.25" "Hefty" Bars, Tech Glide Forward Controls, Rivco 128 decibel Horns, ACC Cobra Headlight, all steel braided lines, debadged.

First motorcycle I've owned in nearly 20 years. Cars are getting too expensive to modify these days so I thought I start on bikes. Bought new 18 months ago after seeing a bike in Australia that had the 240 wide wheel kit done.... and had to build my own. Been through a few incarnations, different seats, bars etc... Awesome fun to ride. Hooked up with a local cruiser club, mostly Harley riders, got a few looking at the metric bikes a little differently now :)

Next step? Maybe turn it into a bobber?

Cheers,
Greeneggs

#7 ·
I guess i will throw my hat into the ring....

Year: 2008
Model: vnulcan 900 custom
Eng size: 903cc
Pipes: cobra powerpro hp 2 into 1
Seat: Mustang daytripper
Wheels: stock
Accessories: iso grips break pedal and shifter covers, clear signal and tailight lenses, fairing with stereo and 6x9 speakers, flh hardbags,dteachable passenger backrest, rear lowering kit by roadkrome, homemade intake with k&n, and a power commander

Not much of a story really, bought the bike new in april of 08 and orederd my first mod (the lowering kit) even before i signed the paperwork,and did a full debaffle 2 weeks later !!!!! then one weekend i took a 500 mile roadtrip without a windshield and carrying a backpack.. ya thats when i decided something had to change, tried one of those lil windshields for a yr it helped but wasnt what i wanted. So by fall of 09 i ebayed the fairing, painted and installed it over the winter adding a set of scrap yard 6x9s and a sony "mechless" car stereo.. had tunes and wind (and bug) protection. Spring of 2011 a friend brought me back a set of "harley hardbags" from florida for under $500, saved up and gathered parts till the following spring before i was able to mount them, which required installing a 2 into 1 exhaust to get the bags as low as i wanted them, then spending over $150 on a brand new set of harley bag supports which i cut in half with a grinder the moment i got them home so i could stretch them...well after only a few rides i got to thinking "how the hell did i get by without saddlebags!!!"
Meanwhile as i was gathering parts for the bags a deal came along on a mustang daytripper seat that I just could not refuse (thanks ron) and the g/f bought me (but i really think it was for her lol) the detachable backrest !!
My only future mod plans are getting my rear wheel modified to mount a 240/18 on it.. ya found a spot in california that can do the mod for around $500-$600 shipping included.. lot cheeper than the 1800 for the mimic wheel which is hidden behind the saddlebags !!!, and may get the same done to the front wheel so i can properly mount 140/70 21 up there.

Attachments

#9 ·
Good lookin' bike! I think I'm going to end up with the same fairing and stereo over the winter. Polk Audio marine speakers too. I know I asked you before but I forgot yours was a custom. What is the width of the forks on the custom, is it different than the classic? Now I'm wondering if that VTX1800 fairing will fit or not!

#13 · (Edited)
its a pretty simple setup... made a plate out of 3/8 aluminum (got it free) which bolts to a thunder adapter (got it off ebay for like $20) sized it so that i have about 1/2 inch or so smaller than the oem airbox cover with tabs left to use oem cover bolts as well, used a round k&n filter for that is about 6 3/8 inch round and probably 2 inch high (made for a harley quicksilver carb/intake) which i also got off ebay for around $20...so in all i have less than $50 into it... simple and cheap...lol it was going to cost me near that much just to buy a replacemnt oem filter for the stock intake !!!!

#11 ·
BW, I have said it several time before but I can help my self. I love the green that was used on the customs. I don't know there is just something about it. Wish my V2K was that color with some of the chrome blacked out.

#15 ·
Several brands stock that or something really similar.

If I were to re-paint a whole bike that green, I'd do this;

It's from dupli-color. It's a candy system, a silver metallic is sprayed down first with that translucent green sprayed on top. Makes it really deep and metallic. I'm planning on using the same system, only orange, on my bike. For the cost of matching a fairing, bags, and trunk into a two-tone that matches Kawsasaki, I could paint the whole bike in that duplicolor paint shop system. (And still have enough leftover to get pearl white paint for trim pieces and perhaps some stripes)

#20 · (Edited)
OK, so we have two smokin' hot bikes already, but I'll throw my hat in the ring anyways. My ride is a little different flavor from those already shown.

Lets start with the basics......

Year: 2001
Model: Drifter
Eng size: 1500
Pipes: Vance & Hines Longshots
Seat: Fire & Steel
Wheels: Stock Spokes
Accessories: The list is long, check out the story
And the story: OK, here goes.........

I wanted bike that the wife and I could enjoy before she could no longer ride. You see, she has Muscular Dystrophy, and it's degenerative, so one day she won't be able to ride anymore, but in the meantime, we ride!

I've added floorboards for my wife (on custom made brackets), and did a ton of my own custom leatherwork (a skill I picked up many years ago). All of the floorboard skirts, tour pack leatherwork, and fender skirts are my own work. The tank bra and rear fender bib are from Chilowee leathers. There's Iso grips under the fringed and laced covers for my comfort. The pipes are Vance & Hines Longshots that have a nice throaty sound with a bit of bark with a twist of the wrist. I've also added a Meanstreak clutch pack with the 2 piece holders that give the bike a more positive feel. I also fabricated my own license plate lay down bracket that is totally hidden for a nice clean look. The tank badges and air cleaner emblems are from Zambini Bros (I've stripped all the brand labels from the bike totally). The tour pack is an old '69 Harley shovelhead pack (custom made brackets) that I fitted with a current model Harley wraparound backrest pad (to keep the wife planted). I created a bracket to move the rectifier under the radiator and in it's place on the left side I've mounted a 50's era chrome Harley tool box on a custom made bracket. I've also added amber fog lamps and a custom bag behind the Nomad style windshield. The mirrors have been swapped out for some Emge mirrors that are a bit more curvaceous. On the 2up seat, I stripped it down and added gel pads to it for comfort (mostly for the wife).

The future calls for a little more leather work, a fender light I've had for a while now, and I'm working on some home made lowers. After that, maybe paint, if I can make up my mind on something.

Personally, I like the solo look best, but I ride with the 2up look most of the time.

But enough words, how about some pics?

Before fog lights and mirrors.............

Old mirrors and a chrome spark plug box in place of the windshield bag.....

#21 ·
Sweet Mama's Pancakes!

That's a fine looking bike pcarrell.

i agree, looks better solo. But.. most bikes do.

Did you say you did your own fringe work???

And..umm.. how does that Handicap License work on a motorcycle????

#22 · (Edited)
Thanks!

Yeah, the fringework is mine. I use deer leather so that if it gets wet it dries soft and flexible. Most leathers dry hard, but deer leather is soft and supple, and stays that way.

The Handicap plate is just like any other....I can park in handicap spaces (when the wife is with me of course). If you can get them for your car, you can get them for the bike(though you usually see them on trikes).

(BTW, I'm glad it's not your bike I'm up against!)

#28 ·
well it doesn't upset me.... everyone has preferences !!!!!!

#30 ·
Guys thanks for the compliments and yes the competition is tough this month.

#31 ·
Hey, both of the bikes I'm up against are excellent rides! I'd ride either of them with my head held high!

The main reason I threw my hat in the ring was so we had three very different styles to choose from. We have a bad to the bone stripped down hot rod, a sleek modern cruisin' ride, and a bit of a throwback.

Honestly, if you parked all three side by side and told me to pick one and you'd give me the keys, I'm not sure which one I'd pick!

#32 ·
if could afford a second 900 it would be done similar to that blue one, and as for a drifter well i have only ever layed eyes on 2 of them...would love to have one someday!!

#34 ·
My Baby

I purchased my 2005 1600 Classic 3 1/2 years ago I traded in my 650 V Star. I have made many changes to her. I plan to put on a Barons big air kit over the winter.

PIAA Crash bar lights
Kuryakyn Iso Grips
Kuryakyn Sprakers
Kuryakyn front and rear LED turn signals
Cobra Exhaust
Cobra Sissy bar with luggage rack
Quick Release windsheild
Hard bags

Attachments

#37 ·
I love the color of yours. You did a beautiful job on yours.

#39 ·
09Nomad

This is a picture of my 09 Nomad taken in the Highwood pass in Kananaskis country in Alberta. On a summer weekend, there are hundreds of bikes on this route from Calgary.

09Nomad
Utopia backrest
Cobra luggage rack
Kuryakyn ISO grips
Kuryakyn longhorn offset highway pegs
Sheepskin seat cover for touring

Attachments

#40 · (Edited)
I entered this contest once, about 2 years ago. But I didn't win. My bike was mostly stock. It's changed a lot since then.

Year: 2004
Model: Vulcan 2000
Eng Size: 2024cc (125ci)
Pipes: Freedom Performance
Seat: Mustang
Wheels: Factory Wheels

Accessories:

In late 04, early 05, I was looking for a bike. One I called a "Practical Bar Hopper". I had already ruled out the "custom choppers", in part due to price (30k+!!) and in part due them being not something you could really ride daily (remember, I was looking for something "practical".

In March of 05 I found this bike at the Kaw dealer. It was a left over from the previous year. He dealer made me an offer I could not refuse.

The stock pipes, intake, and blinkers never made it out the dealer door. It was an attempt to streamline and make it into that "bar hopper".

Other than picking up a Mustang seat in 07, the bike stayed unchanged until last year.. when the "snowball" hit. (snowball, because once I started.. it just kind of snowballed into this..)

(and I still blame YOU bigsarg for starting it)

It was a huge learning process. The long timers in the V2K group have had a lot of laughs at my mistakes. For a good chuckle, read my thread on changing the oil for the first time.

• I had the factory wheels, pulley, brake calipers, rear caliper bracket and regulator cover chromed.
  • I had the seat, passenger seat, sissy bar pad and rear fender bib reupholstered by American Drag Seats.
  • I polished (by hand, myself), all three rotors, the fork lowers, master cylinder, clutch perch, muffler heat shield,and muffler protector bracket.
  • 5th Gear Resistor Mod - This was the first time I had ever soldered anything.
  • Front Pulley (larger by 1 tooth)
  • New Brake, Clutch, Throttle cables. This was when I had to learn how to remove the tank. Had never done it before.
  • Baron's Tac, with Master Cylinder Mount.
  • Customized State License Plate (V2K)
  • Relocated Rear Caliper (Read about that here)
  • I drilled the handle bars and ran the wires thru it (including the Tac). I probalby should have just bought new bars. It was a pain to do.
  • Added the Freedom Pipes
  • Two inch rear drop kit.
  • Relocated the front and rear blinkers - Let me tell ya, drilling holes in that rear fender was scary.
  • Added a run-turn-brake controller. This allowed my rear blinkers to act as additional running/brake lights. This was actually a pain because I had tear apart my rear blinkers to change the color of the LEDs to red instead of amber.
  • Added over 300 LED's. Took me over a month to do that.
  • This list could go on forever.

The high light of course is the paint and fab work I had done by Artistic Fantasies Custom Paint.

The rear tail light was cut out and LED's were fiberglassed/molded in it's place. That big rear fender looks REALLY good smoothed out.

LED's were molded into the coil cover and "125ci" lights up. We did the same with the flames on both side panels.

I'm going to open the picture with the "finished" project. This is probably my favorite shot. It's my wife on my bike.

I call this shot, "The Two Things I Ride The Most"

This is how the bike looked back in Feb 2012. This is the scope of the work I was doing...

I really like this picture. Something about the sparkles.

A nighttime picture of the LEDs. Notice the coil cover and side panel.

GQ Shot

#53 · (Edited)
  • Added over 300 LED's. Took me over a month to do that.

A nighttime picture of the LEDs. Notice the coil cover and side panel.

It's hard to capture what the bike looks like at night, with the LED's on.

During the day time, I get guys pulling up next to me, rolling down their window and yelling "nice bike!"

At night time, when I turn on the LED's.. it happens even more :)

The cell phone camera/video really does not do it justice. I had to lower the resolution to keep the file size down.

Here is video attempt..(click on the picture below for the video)

#41 ·
Smedlin that is a sharp bike. One of the better looking machines around here. This is going to be some pretty tough competition this go 'round. I'm partial to Chrome so, that helps make yours pretty sweet!

#43 ·
smedlin.... with competition like that i almost feel like withdrawing !!! lol

#44 ·
I dunno man. You've got a cool ride too. His has got all that chrome going for it, but yours is a bit unique among the 900's!

#46 ·
First shot

You sure do have a beautiful bike but adding the first picture gives you an unfair advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.