Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Ruined my friend last night

8K views 52 replies 26 participants last post by  doubleminded 
#1 ·
I went riding with a friend last night that has a v-star 1100. the last 5 miles home we switched bikes. i have a whole new appreciation for my vulcan, and he's ready to sell his v-star. he couldn't believe how tight & smooth my bike was. i rode a v-star a couple years ago and was surprised how crappy it rode. this just reaffirmed my opinion that i made the best decision of my like going with my vulcan.

#4 ·
Sounds like a Harley buddy of mine. Gave his usual "Harley's are obviously superior in every way" ribbing whenever I saw him. We switched bikes for a ride, my 900 for his Road King. At the end of the ride he was grinning ear to ear and couldn't believe a 900 was as fast as his 88" Road King (his words not mine, I didn't really test out the road kings performance I just cruised!).

Of course he's still a die hard Harley rider. He still has his road king. Only he bought a 1700 Vulcan. And his Harley is in a shed behind a bunch of stuff against a wall. Still wears all the Harley T-Shirts and is a die hard Harley rider though, just ask him! But you'll have to ask him to know... 'cuz all he ever rides anymore is that 1700 Vulcan :p

#5 ·
I still miss my 1700 Nomad. The only thing I could find fault with was in its inability to properly tow my Bunkhouse camper trailer. Otherwise, I really liked that bike. But would I buy a Harley? Not for what they want for one, and I'm not willing to spend that much just to buy into a "lifestyle." About the 900? Pretty much it's an HD Heritage Softail Classic with a smaller motor, at half the price. And I love the 900, too. I think Ma Kaw has hit the nail on the head with the Vulcan series. Nope, they're not Harleys, but I doubt that Kawasaki really meant them to be, but there's just only so many ways you can style a motorcycle around a V-Twin engine.

I'd say, sorry about your friend, but, well, seeing the light is a great experience.

#6 ·
Exactly. Styling cues are taken from Harley sure but, the V-Twin motorcycle is a genre of style. And it didn't start with Harley either, there were several brands (like the famous Indian) building V-Twins with the classic cruiser style before Harley was even a company.

When people call metrics a Harley clone it's like calling an Impala a Ford Taurus clone. Design cues are mutually taken from on another but in the end, it's just a genre of vehicle. They are both 4 door full sized sedans. Each with their advantages and disadvantages.

#31 ·
I left this forum a few months ago for another Vulcan forum. One of the things I like about the new forum is there's absolutely none of this comparison crap. Nobody ever posts threads like "ruined my friend last night," whatever the hell that means. You "9" guys need to grow up. As for you vivadude, offering your 900 to guys on Road Kings is an insult, and it's a sign of their generosity that they continue to let you tag along.

Sorry to say, but the one thing I learned from this forum more than anything else: Stay away from guys on Vulcan 900s. Too many of them are insecure, and in their constant need to prove something, they will compromise your safety. I'm sure that doesn't describe all of you, but it describes many of you, and enough to justify my prejudice.

#8 ·
Personally, I don't think there are any truly bad motorcycles out, nor do I think any one brand is more or less of a motorcycle than any other brand. There are some I would love to own and some I'd never own for one reason or another. I like all motorcycles, and scooters, too for that matter. Some just don't fit my style and preference of riding.

#9 ·
I test rode a electra glide today with the 110ci engine and loved it, BUT before that happened had some douche giving me a hard time when i was trying to figure out how to get on without putting all my weight on my injured leg, so he is giving me a hard time, telling me to get a scooter, blah blah,i laughed it off, finally asked the guy is he always so annoying, he then proceeded to tell me he is a biker and i wouldnt know anything about that, I told him to stfu and go away, rode the bike loved but hated the price $22000 for a 2009, and the lifestyle, if dude is an example of a hardcore hd dude i want no part of it

#11 ·
You don't HAVE to be a part of that 'my poop don't stink' lifestyle if you own a Harley. Be a REAL rebel, break the mold! You also don't HAVE to buy the T-Shirts! Shame that a 'biker' would tease another biker for his injuries... that just seems like really, really, really bad luck to me.

I rode a 110ci glide too. Was a good bike! No comment on power I'm not much of a power hungry / speed hungry guy I just like to cruise on a comfortable bike! I liked it, but, I didn't like it enough to justify the price and, more importantly, I didn't like it more than other cheaper V-Twin tourers I've ridden. But I certainly can understand why others would spend the extra. They are very good bikes made by an American company!

Personally, I don't think there are any truly bad motorcycles out, nor do I think any one brand is more or less of a motorcycle than any other brand. There are some I would love to own and some I'd never own for one reason or another. I like all motorcycles, and scooters, too for that matter. Some just don't fit my style and preference of riding.
Yup, you got it! I loved that Road King, I really did. It had many 'ups' on the 900. It also had some disadvantages. It was a really 'sit on' not 'in' top heavy kind of bike. But, it had good power, was smooth, and was geared to just about idle in any situation. Brakes were fantastic.

I think the same thing happened to both of us, the reason I was disappointed in the electra glide I rode, and he was so impressed with my 900 LT. The Harley community is no doubt the loudest, and if you've ever even been around motorcycles, you've heard that Harleys are the hands down best bikes in the world. They are flawless in every way, will last forever, and are the absolute perfect ride. Also, you hear that metrics are cheap knock offs, K-Mart Harley's, are junk, unreliable, etc. So I jump on something that everyone tells me is incredible and I find just another motorcycle, nothing really special about it. Mr. Harley jumps on a metric, and finds out, it's just another motorcycle, which compared to what he's heard, is pretty stinking impressive!

These days, manufacturing technology and computers mean they are all solid, well built machines. They may skimp in some areas for cost (plastic chrome, not including certain features, etc.). But I don't think ANY maintstream motorcycle model these days builds an unreliable or cheap bike (Harley, Honda, Kawasaki, Victory, Yamaha, Suzuki, Ducati, etc.) The difference is price, features, styling, and rideability. There are advantages and disadvantages to everything. If you really want a Harley because of the looks, go for it if that's how you wanna spend your money! I wouldn't buy a hot pink motorcycle with pinwheels bolted to it, so it's hard for me to say 'buying a motorcycle based on looks is stupid'.

I have yet to find a motorcycle I did not enjoy riding. Even my wifes little 750 shadow that I was cramped on was fun. I rode some motorcycles I don't think I would buy... but I've never ridden one I didn't enjoy riding. Just get what you like!

Who knows, I may have a Harley one day. Right now, they don't have anything on the line that excites me but maybe one day. One things for sure... my next bike will be bought just like this one. Not with brand preferences or pre-conceived notions, but by researching, reading reviews, sitting on them, test riding them, and finally deciding on one! (Though that probably won't be for a while. When I bought my 900 'they' said it was gonna be too small for the touring I do. Hasn't felt small yet!)

#10 ·
Rode a valkyrie, and a vtx 1800 today too, was surprised that the 2 cylinder vtx had more power than the 6 cylinder valkyrie, and the v2k beats them both

#12 ·
Me too. I would think the Valk would out power the vtx. I can see where a 1800 twin might have more torque, but that's it.

I am surprised the Valks are no more. You'd think the Wing engine and tranny in a cruiser body would be a low cost build option from honda factory and compete directly with the big Triumph. Especially with the high mileage examples out there .... I think they are very appealing bikes - but I guess they will never sound the part of a loud twin.

#13 ·
If I wanted to be a "biker" I'd ride a Harley. I couldn't possibly care less about putting on airs and I'm not interested in riding as part of a group. I ride what fits me and the style of riding I do with reliability being at the top of the list followed by affordability. Looking at things as I do Harley will never be on my want list and I can afford to buy whatever I want but I expect the best bang for my buck. As you can tell, I'm turned off by the projected image more than anything but cost is almost as big a factor.

Being also a firearms enthusiast I put Harley in the same bracket as Colt. They have both gotten to where they are not because of superior quality but out of legend and some are willing to pay a premium to be a part of legend over performance. More power to them. I expect more for my money than something that may equal rather than excel. For me and folks like me this is known as pricing yourself out of the market.

#14 ·
If I wanted to be a "biker" I'd ride a Harley. I couldn't possibly care less about putting on airs and I'm not interested in riding as part of a group.
I ride with a group of friends alot and love it, I also ride with the Patriot Guard whenever I get a chance and that's a diverse group right there! Everything from Harley's to dual-sport bikes to 1400cc supersport machines! The group I ride with is mostly Harleys but, still have a few metric guys. It's all good, these are people who put hundreds of thousands of miles on their bikes and know it's about the ride, not the image. It's been my experience that the "Harley or nothing" and "my poop don't stink" guys probably have less than 20,000 miles on the clock and that's probably all they've ridden in their lifetime. They bought into an image, ride around the block, take one trip a year, that's about it. Or just ride to the local bar and back, then hop in their pickup truck covered in H-D stickers that way nobody will be mistaken when they see them, they are a biker!

People who really ride, I think, understand it's about two wheels and freedom. Some good natured ribbing but, in the end, whatever you ride is fine as long as you can keep up!

#15 ·
and dont forget that their pickup is probably a toyota or a nissan... but yet their "hog" is better because its american

#16 ·
So Romans are you saying you consider yourself a "biker"? Personally I'm no biker, I'm just a guy that rides a bike. Hadn't ridden for 25 years and just got back to it 2 months ago. Over 4,000 miles in 2 months and intend to do 1,235 miles one way real soon and back and all alone. Looking into the Iron Butt Society now but not to have riding pardners. No, I'm just a guy that rides a bike. Then again, I live in the country, not in a subdivision. My house was designed and built by me with only minimal assistance. I'm not a contractor either, just a guy that built a house. If I wanted to be a contractor I'd build many houses. If I wanted to join the biker cult I'd ride (and work on) :D a Harley.

#17 ·
Nah, just an enthusiast! I love motorcycles that's all. Rode 20,000 miles this year and it was great!

Not knockin' guys who don't ride that often either (I live in the country too so that makes it a little easier to rack up the miles). I just meant that, from the people I've met, it's the ones who really ride and have been riding for a long time that don't care who you are and what you ride. It's the mid-life crisis 1,500 miles a year guys that get real snobby. At least around here.

#26 ·
I owned an 1100 V-Star Custom and I would never own another one. Not that it was a bad bike but it just did not fit me. Also not suitable for 2 up riding for any distance. I would pick a 600 VLX over the 1100 V-Star for comfort. But I also got the v-star because it was in the right price range and that was the only reason. I had to sale my 1600 meanie and had been with out a bike for a couple years and when I got a larger tax return than expected one year I went out and bought it because I could get it straight cash. Well After owning it 1 year I sold it and was able to get my V2K. So I downgraded to the 1100 and a lot of times that just dose not sit well.

#27 ·
Poop-Eatin Grin

Roman, ole' Blockhead is with us! We're just pokin' fun 'cause we are having the times of our lives trying to play catch-up with the rest of you! No offense taken and none was intended! :handshake:

Let's ride!

#29 ·
I have never been a fan of the V-star 1100. I liked the old Viragos better, but what do I know?

A few years ago I went to a PGR ride on my FZ6. Some loud mouth there gave me a bunch of grief about my "little" bike. I asked him what he was riding - a Suzuki 800 Volusia or something like that. I asked him how long he had been riding. Less than 2 years. I told him I had been riding bikes for almost 40 years. He shut up and went away.

They ride all kinds of bikes.

#34 ·
It's been said a million times. The 900 doesn't do anything perfectly, but it does everything well. It doesn't tour like the voyager, haul like the V2K, or get the MPG of the 500, but it's somewhere in the middle of all of those. It's a good bike. I don't think anyone is saying someone jumped off a Harley and went "Holy cow this is the holy grail of motorcycles!". They jumped off of a big Harley and hopped on what they believed to be a 'little' bike because of the small displacement. They found that the ergos and size of the bike are about the same but with much less weight, and it has much more power than they expect, and they are able to keep up with their Road King in it. In a drag race? No, but there's no reason the two can't stay together in a little 'spirited riding' around some twisties, and that impresses people because of what they have pre-conceived about a 900cc motorcycle. Truth is technology has changed, and you need so much more than displacement to tell the story.

Also, these aren't strangers. The people who have ridden my bike are some of my closest friends, and some family members. I love to swap bikes with friends, it's fun. It wasn't an 'insult' to him it was just fun. We were out riding, and actually, HE offered. We were waiting on his wife to come back in from a 'pit stop' and I was looking at some new highway pegs he put on the bike. He invited me to sit on it and see where they fit, and then he said "You know I've always wanted to ride one of these why don't we swap?". We were both impressed! The Harley was top heavy and harder in low speeds, but, had excellent torque for pulling steep hills at low speeds in high gear. Also very smooth and very comfortable. He said my bike was faster than his. I don't think it was faster, I think he was so surprised in the power of that 'little' 900, that it was faster than he expected. Though he also rode it to my wedding and actually road it for 45 minutes to the church then, on the interstate, etc. with my CMA chapter who were all there. I didn't want to ride and deal with my tux, so he rode it there and the wife and I got some of our pictures on the bike. He said it was like a Cadillac and that it was really fast! Again, this is someone who has ridden big twin Harley's for 30 years, I think he's just really impressed by what this 900cc metric can do, it's not what he expected.

Not everyone is a snob. It's not a 'privilege' to ride with these guys these are my friends. Some of them ride metrics, some Harleys, some both! One guy rides a 1700 Voyager, and has a '47 Harley in his garage he rides every once in a while. It's just about riding, not about being a bunch of tough guys trying to be cool.

I don't care what you ride. Just ride. That's not what being on a motorcycle is about for me, it's about the ride. Anyone can buy a Harley. It's just a machine, it's just money. There's nothing 'special' about being an owner of a Harley, or a large displacement metric, or anything else. If that's what you want go for it! I'm sure at some point in the future I'll be on a bigger twin bike (Metric or Harley, depends on what my options are then!). It's not a birthright or some sort of special thing... it's just something you bought.

Keep the shiny side up folks!

#39 ·
Kawasaki bikes have always been excellent which is why I added this one small Sportie-like VN800 Classic to my stable of HD's and a Triumph. My next bike will be an Indian and so looking forward to that day. I'm also looking for a Nomad or V2K Classic LT to add to the herd. Only time and money stand in my way now. :)

#40 ·
An Indian is on my bucket list of bikes. I did get the opportunity to ride a 99? model (the first year they were brought back by Indian of America).

#42 ·
I don't want to generalize, and I'm sure there are exceptions to every rule, but it seems to me like the weekend warrior, 2,000 miles a year riders are the brand bashers. The guys who pile on the miles are the ones who just aren't that concerned about what you ride. I do like a little ribbing with friends, like the other day a guy mentioned there was a promotion going on at a local Harley dealer and before he finished I said 'Yeah, a free bag of oil-dri with every new model sold' to which he replied 'Yeah and if you buy a Kawasaki you get a free bag of white rice!' It's all in fun.

Like it's already been said in this thread, it's not about superiority it's about surprising pre-conceived notions. A LOT of veteran riders are impressed with the 900 when they ride it. Not because it's God's gift to motorcycles, but because they have an idea about how a 900cc metric motorcycle should ride, and that's not the experience they get out of the VN900. I don't think my buddy thought my 900 was BETTER than his Road King, but I do think it was a lot better than he expected it to be.

I wouldn't mind a road king myself! It was a nice ride! But there were things that surprised me about it as well, both good and bad. After hearing all my Harley buddies tote build quality I was surprised to find the left grip was loose and there was a lot of plastic chrome on the bike. After hearing my metric buddies talk about how poor riding, handling, and sluggish Harley's were I was surprised to find it had plenty of pep, was smooth as butter, and laid into the corners effortlessly! The H-D Road King is definitely on my list of 'if I ever trade in my 900' bikes. Along with the VN1700 or even the Honda Goldwing.

#49 ·
I do like a little ribbing with friends, like the other day a guy mentioned there was a promotion going on at a local Harley dealer and before he finished I said 'Yeah, a free bag of oil-dri with every new model sold' to which he replied 'Yeah and if you buy a Kawasaki you get a free bag of white rice!' It's all in fun.
At least something useful can come out of a bag of rice, like a meal or something! lol

#43 ·
I've been riding for 30 years. Three years ago I was in a car accident and it took me awhile to get back on a bike. I bought a Vulcan 900 and rode it for two years. A good bike but I didn't like being moved around on windy days. I sold it then got a 06 nomad and love it. Handles very well and good power and I don't get moved around on those windy days. Now I'm in the process of makin more of a voyager with the tour pack. I don't know yet about the big faring on the front. If I could do it over again I would get a newer voyager.

#44 ·
I'm in the process of converting my 900 into a mini-voyager. You ought to look into the stereo fairing options. It's an investment ($500 on up for a whole setup). I'm going on the cheaper side of the spectrum, with a $250 eBay fairing, 6x9 marine speakers and a Sony head unit. It'll run me around $600 or so. That'll give you a batwing fairing but one that is a little bigger and more substantial than the stretched-plexi type fairing (memphis shades, etc.), and of course the audio is nice for a long trip! If you don't want the audio, Tsukayu and Reckless also sell bigger, more 'substantial' fairings that don't have stereo equipment. I think Reckless even has one with a glove box.

I'm planning on doing the 6x9 one along with a couple of gauges as well. I'd like to install a tach, marine voltmeter, marine oil pressure gauge, and marine water temp gauge all on the fairing.

#45 ·
My buddy has a 900 classic. One day we swapped. He rode my 1500 nomad. He really liked being on a more substantial feeling bike, and i was tickled to be on a bike that felt so much easier to maneuver. Much lighter steering (narrow tire and light weight), and the slightly forward controls made it feel really chill to sit on. Everything is a compromise so it depends where your values lie.

But ive certainly sat on some bikes in the showroom that felt off. The concours is one bike- just felt big and chunky. Whatever that translates to in ergonomics. Another one was the v-rod. But thats for obvious reasons. Loved the technology but hated the ergos- feet and hands forward. I could feel my discs herniating just thinking about a ride of any distance.

Sent from my iPad using Motorcycle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.