Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

2011 Vaquero 1700 Audio Issue

3K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  big worm 
#1 ·
Having a weird audio system issue.

I've had the Vaquero a couple of weeks, and I often have the iPod playing while I'm riding. It has, on occasion, stopped. I just chalked it up to iPod gremlins. It always started back up later.

Last night on the way home from work, I noticed it actually played part of a song, skipped to the next song, and repeated this behavior for a couple of songs.

This morning on the way in to work, it stopped playing. The stereo would then display 'Kawasaki' like it does when you turn the bike on, would go to iPod, and would go through this cycle over and over again.

This behavior is repeatable. I've reseated the iPod, etc. If I disconnect the iPod, the stereo behaves normally.

I've checked all the connections, they're secure.

Would a defective iPod audio adapter cable cause this behavior?

#2 ·
It could be a bad cable but i had the exact issue about a year ago. I found out that the ipod was sitting in the storage box awkardly and pulling on the cable connection. Just readjust how the ipod is sitting so it doesn;t exert strain on the connection and see if that fixes the issue.

#4 ·
You have to use a flash memory iPod. If you use a hard drive type like the classic it will do that, somebody claimed it ruined theirs. I used a classic and had issues with it and bought a nano and it works with no problems at all. You may do a search this was documented on a thread some where on here.

#9 ·
Well report back, mine would sometimes work for a while go haywire, unplug it and reinstall and would work for a while. Somebody also mentioned on the Kawasaki web site not to use a hard drive unit. Also reported was a classic iPod was ruined by using it on the motorcycle so be careful

#10 ·
My brand new nano does the same thing other than the skipping. The stereo would shut off then come back on it hasn't done that in awhile. It still does switch back and forth from AUX to iPod. I think it's that $100 connector. I have even hooked my iPhone to it and it does the same thing. Either that or the stereo. Since I ordered the cable online and it is Kawi part my dealer won't just replace it since it didn't come from them. They will order me a new one if I pay for it which I think is BS. It's long to late to return it from where I bought it. But being a Kawi dealer and a Kawi part I don't see why they just can't replace it.

#12 ·
so you expect your local dealer to go out of their way and possibly take a loss on an item you bought online?.....in the future if you want local support then by local!!!

#11 ·
Had the same problem with my Voyager. For some reason, if I let the bike sit for a few seconds after I turn the key on before I crank it, I don't have any issues. I normally turn the ignition switch on before I gear up and let it sit while I put my helmet, etc on. No issues as long as I wait a bit before cranking.

#13 ·
So, here's what I did.

1) I took out the foam insert and cut it up on the bottom so that slot was larger than required. I noticed one of the edges of the slot was pushing up against the connector ever-so-slightly. I just cut the hell out out of the bottom of the foam.

2) When I stuck the foam insert into the slot, I resisted the impulse to push it down too hard. When I closed the lid there was a little bit of resistance - but hey, it's foam.

No problems since then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.