Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

2011 1700 Classic exhaust mod

6K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Damo222 
#1 ·
So I decided to mod my 2011 1700 Classic stock exhaust. Took off the end caps and drilled 8 holes in each plate on the rear of the baffle that is about 6" inside the pipe. No real difference in sound level. I am thinking about trying to get the baffles out. Do I just use a hole saw to cut around the baffle pipe? I already cut the baffle pipe off flush with the plate 6" in so I can have clearance for the hole saw. Anything else I need to get ride of, or after I hit it with the hole saw do I just use a broom handle in the baffle pipe to break the welds free at the other end?

Sent from my LT28at using Motorcycle.com Free App

#2 ·
If you have a Classic, then you may be treading on "virgin" ground.

Most with Classics who have attempted a muffler mod have simply drilled out the centre discs with a hole saw (approx. 1 1/4" dia.). There are 3 discs: One plate a few inches in from the end, another 8"-12" further in, and one plate near the front of the muffler (you have to remove them to access this plate).

If the baffles are anything like those on the Nomad/Voyager/Vaquero, they are very securely welded in place. They don't come out easily with the "hole saw and broom handle technique" that works on the 1600s.

#3 ·
The center disc you are refering to...is that the "plate" inside the small baffle pipe? I haven't tried to get that one out yet. I may be in over my head, and might just run it like it is for now after taking that plate out while I save up some cash for aftermarket pipes. I guess I am not sure how I would cut the plates deeper in...

#4 ·
Yes, Drilling out the centre discs inside the baffle tube is the easiest approach with the Classic. Cosmetically and from a "sound" perspective, it is probably the most effective way to "debaffle" a Classic. It saves all the messy premliminary cutting that you have already done...sorry.

You would need a bi-metal hole saw approx. 1-1/4" diameter on an extension rod (both available from any large hardware or building supply store).

#6 ·
Drilling out the discs gets more volume, progressively as you remove each subsequent disc.
But some have said you lose the distinctive power pulses...ending up with just more volume.

I have left my Classic LT mufflers stock, and after 5,000 miles they seem louder and deeper.

#7 ·
I was going to leave everything stock until I save up some coin for aftermarkets...maybe after the Marine Corps Ball and the holidays. But I figured I would give it a try. Worst thing that could happen is I destroy the stock pipes and use that as an reason to beg the wife for replacements....improvise, adapt and overcome!!!!

#8 ·
Cut out the first disc about 5-6" inside the baffle pipe...a little louder maybe. I can't get to the next one in about 12"'s...don't have an extentiin to fit my hole saw. Just not sure if going any further would be worth it. Still has the thump. I may take it for a test ride and go from there.

Sent from my LT28at using Motorcycle.com Free App

#9 ·
Mate its worth it, biiiig difference on my Nomad. Also take off the mufflers and take out the baffles on the engine side, should be one in each pipe on that side.
Not sure about you guys over there but in Aussie we have a CATALYTIC CONVERTER in each pipe, (honeycomb type material). I left them in.
Sounds great without being over the top loud and improved the performance.
As was said elswhere , LET THEM BREATHE.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.