Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Hard to Back Up

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  rick 
#1 ·
Ok, so I have a 2011 Vaquero. When backing out of my garage (or backing up anywhere), it will barely move - my wife has to help push the bike backwards. Seems ok when driving (maybe a little grabby), but it should back up freely, now seems to be grabbing. My back tire looks low - will be checking it when I get off work tonight - could that cause any grabby feeling while backing up? What could be causing the grabby-ness?? :confused:

#2 ·
Are you trying to push it backward before starting it and are you in neutral? Clutch plates will stick some before they get covered in oil. If you are still in gear and just holding the clutch you still get some friction from the clutches.

#4 · (Edited)
^This. (what SWVA said).

Plus, a low tire will be more difficult to move.

I back my Voyager out of my garage every morning. I have it started to get warm and in gear because my driveway is sloped and have to back between my cars and if I get cockeyed; I want to be able to pull forward easily.

Once you get the clutch to slip it shouldn't give that much resistance. But, you can try having the bike started and let the clutch out a little in gear. That should free everything up.

Scott

#5 ·
What SWVA said is right. Other than that, yes a low tire will add resistance to backing up along with the belt being too tight. After checking tire pressure also see if the belt is super tight.

#6 ·
that too. my belt on my V2K was 5th string banjo tight.

#7 ·
I had this issue a few months ago turned out to be my back brake cable was rusted so bad it kept my back brake engaged slightly all the time. If all of the above fails try to disconnect this cable from the back wheel and see if it helps.

Sent from my M865 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#8 ·
there are no brake cables on a vaquero.... they have hydraulic brakes !!!

#10 ·
lol no need to feel like a fool... you offered up some advice based on what knowlege you had...now you have some new knowlege.... concider it a learning experience !

#11 ·
sometimes that can be enough to spark another idea in what the problem might be. No one here mention brake problems until your reply.

#12 ·
one thing i will add... the OP mentioned that his rear tire looked low... well on a bike if the tire looks a little low then it will turn out to be REAL LOW and that will make a bike as heavy as a vaquero a real b1t(# to push around...

#14 ·
I wouldn't have even ridden the bike if the tire looked low.

Riding a bike is closer to flying a plane than driving a car. The daily checks might make the difference between making it to you destination or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.