Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Instrument cluster gremlins

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  RogerE 
#1 ·
I ride a 2009 Vulcan Nomad with 19,000 miles on the odometer. Lately strange things have been happening with the instrument cluster. The trip odometers will both spontaneously reset themselves to zero at the same time, usually after about 100 miles of travel. The clock is also changing itself without any pattern that I have been able to discern.

If you have had this problem and know what is causing it, or if you have a theory, please let me know. Thanks!

#2 ·
Since you didn't list it, I would assume the bike is starting OK which discounts the battery. If you are experiencing no other problems then I would begin investigation at the cluster powering/grounding.

The cluster is not the only thing powered with the keyswitch so if no other problems I think it is isolated to your cluster.

A temporary ground will help identify that problem and if problems with power disconnecting you likely have a loose wire/connection somewhere and this is different troubleshooting altogether.

#4 ·
Thanks for your thoughts. The bike starts an runs fine. I agree with your thinking that the problem is probably in the cluster.

#3 ·
The right handlebar control is what affects those settings. I would start there and see if spraying some contact cleaner in there fixes your issue. The bike ever sit out in a driving rain that was going from the rear of the bike? or did you spray water at those controls while washing the bike?

#5 ·
The bike is and always has been garaged. I have never been shy about riding in the rain, and rode in a lot of heavy rain and washed the bike many times over the past three years without any trouble. This condition just started recently. I will pick up some contact cleaner and spray the switches - this is an easy thing to do first. Thanks!

#6 ·
Just an update in case anyone else experiences this problem. I recently replaced the battery (it was the original and was four years old). The bike was still starting but was cranking slow and I could tell the battery was on the way out. With the new battery the problems with my instrument cluster went away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.