Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Need to replace my chain... should I get oem endless or aftermarket master link?

10K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  bikerbill 
#1 ·
I bought my used 500 with 14,500 miles and have put 2000 miles on it during the summer/fall. The chain is stretched (continuing have to adjust) and shear marks on the side.. so it's life is used up.
So what have you guys replaced with ... oem endless (I like the idea but the $$$ is alot $ 285+) or master link chain (if so what brand)?

(i know i will get sprokets as well :) )

#2 ·
I'll need to raplace mine soon, as well. My gut instinct would tell me to use the OEM, but that price does kind of turn me off. I guess what it comes down to is do you want to risk your chain breaking at 75mph in rush hour traffic? I'm still quite new to this, so I'll be watching for some other opinions. Thanks for asking the question!

#3 ·
I have used quality aftermarket chains ever since the original one got too noisy. Regina & Tsubaki have been the mainstay. Yes they do have a master link but so far none have failed. I have however had a couple of master link clips disappear so you might want to consider safety-wire instead. 520-110 links. New sprockets might also be in order so inspect them before replacing the chain.

#5 · (Edited)
Good info .... Thanks to all of you :)

I thought I had read in another thread on the 500 forum (but now I can't find it...) that a member had used the EK 520 chain with the screw type master link so you didn't need a riveting tool (or whatever special tool is needed)...... here is the EK link http://www.ekchain.com/access.htm

They "say" its as good as a rivet master link..... hhhmmm.

#7 ·
BikerBill,
Can you elaborate on how safety wire is used on a chain master link.
Sorry, I just haven't been able to visualize how this would be done.
Interesting idea for sure.
Here are some pics of how it was done.

Attachments

#9 ·
On the better chains a riveted link is the norm. I did my first riveted link with this new chain (RK's "RX-Ring chain") and found it not too bad.

If it were a dirt-bike I'd probably want a master-clip style link, but it's a street-bike with an oiling system, so although it looks dirty there really isn't any amount of build-up as the constant oiling flings off dirt (and oil).

#10 ·
My opinion is.....

If you're not replacing the sprockets, get a like $30 cheap chain with a clip-on master link. You won't get near as many miles out of it as a nice chain, but you don't want the old sprockets shortening the life of that expensive chain either.

Then when the sprockets are worn out, splurge and put a nice O-ring chain on it when you replace the sprockets.

I've never had a problem with clip-type master links. I think I'd probably want a staked one on a crotch rocket... but for cruising around at 10 mph over the speed limit, I think a clip-link is just fine.

#16 · (Edited)
TurboJoe - that's the lowest price yet for chain AND sproket, nice :)

I'm mechanically able to do "most" things but for some reason I'm not 100 % I can rivet (or safety wire) a masterlink correctly where I'm comfortable riding at 70 mph. Like you said having the right tool is important.

I'm leaning toward the EK chain and screw type masterlink for around $ 88 for both. I'm putting confidence in EK knows what it's doing with that masterlink (...else if it were to fail they would get a very "nasty" letter from me :mad:)

This with new sprockets (I'm going to upgrade to the 17T... $14 plus ship) should get me going else I would probably go with an endless chain if I had more $$ in the bank :cool:

Thanks Guys!

#23 · (Edited)
I am wanting to get a new chain and reading all the posts has my head spinning,,
I have an oem chain on my 500, and it has the o-rings, I don't know what an X- ring is.. I am a retired carpenter and really appreciate the help I have received here since getting my bike in March 2012.. I have 7,500 miles on the bike ,,a friend says I need a new chain ,, but from what I read here,, I should be good to 20, 25 ,000 miles,, any replies are truly welcome __thank You _ Al Vulcan
PS, What do you reccommend for cleaning and for lubricating ?

#24 ·
You may need a new chain, but it surely can't be due to chain stretch by now.

Old bikes that aren't used enough, or aren't lubed enough, can end up with stiff chain links that may eventually ruin a long-distance ride. You need to ask your friend why he thinks you need a new chain, then either trust him, double check that with someone else, or write it up here for people to respond to.

X-rings are just o-rings with molded surfaces that can better protect the lube inside the links. They really shouldn't cost more (unless they have a much higher tensile strength for higher horsepower bikes), but they generally do.

#25 ·
05 800, I replace my chain and sprockets at the same time every year at the end of winter. I average about 20,000 a year. X-ring chain and clip style master link. My 1st chain went 38,000, but also had several rollers missing when I changed it, was past due! Never had a problem with them. Avoid aluminum sprockets, get steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#26 ·
31K miles on my original chain. Clean/lube every 400 miles. Still in great shape.

#28 ·
I've had such good luck with the original OEM chain I may order another one unless someone makes an even better one. 31K miles on the original chain...

#29 ·
Regarding chain life:

The previous chain that was on Hidalgo was a Tsubaki Omega X-ring chain and I pulled it off after 43,000 miles. I went back with a Tsubaki Sigma X-ring chain.

Cleaning/lubricating is generally handled by a ScootOiler. Until last week I hadn't done a full chain maintenance in a *long* time. And that is because I went down a dirt road for about 15 miles when my GPS decided that it was a shorter way and the entire back of Hidalgo was crusted in dirt/dust. :)

Reactions: Mambo Dave
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.