Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Tsukayu Quick Release Strong Bags

5K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  VicFlo 
#1 ·
I'm expecting to buy some hard bags a few months from now. I've been doing my homework (including but not limited to many searches here) and really like the Tsukayu Strong Bags. I see a lot of people who use them and love them, but I haven't seen anybody mention using the quick release version. Does anybody here have them? I like the thought of being able to get the bags on and off quickly but to be honest I'm not sure how often I would take them off other than maybe just for cleaning. My big concern with the quick release bags is whether or not the brackets and keepers can support the weight of bags that size, especially when they are full of stuff. I expect to ditch my current sissybar and get a new seat, so I would be mounting the bags directly to the frame rail. Still, I've read other places where people using regular leather bags and ghost/easy brackets said the bags would flap around like wings once they got up to speed. So I guess to sum this up in the form of a few questions:

1) Does anybody have the quick release Strong Bags and if so could you point me to some pictures of them on the bike?

2) Any issues with the bags flopping around/hitting parts of the bike while riding or the keepers/brackets supporting the weight?

3) How often do you remove them?

I've looked at the Tsukayu site but they don't have any 900 pictures with the quick release bags, just the normal Strong Bags. Don't get me wrong, I would be thrilled to have either, I just don't see much information about the quick release bags and haven't seen any 900 owners who use them so that may tell me what I need to know right there.

Many thanks.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I gave these a serious look by got a little gun shy at the price. Very nice bags with a good holding capacity. You will need some form of brackets, if you "direc"t frame mount them with out brackets, you will have issues with the bags hitting the swinging arm on the clutch side as the suspension compresses. ( looked at that with my Mutazu's)

I also looked at the easy brackets and had some on back order, i ended up canceling them and going with the stock kawasaki 3 point brackets. The thing that i did not like about the easy's was that they offer no lower bag support and i question whether a "top only" mounted bracket would be able to support the weight of a loaded bag, or whether they would loosen up and vibrate, move around or sag inwards at the bottom of the bag towards the rear wheel.

I don't load my hard bags with heavy stuff and have not had any issues with either bike, but my bags are ABS and i would imagine that the Jumbo strongs would weigh a little more.

They sure are nice bags though.

#3 ·
I should have specified that I would be using easy or ghost (or edge) brackets to mount the QR bags if that's what I get. My concern is the same as yours-no lower support so after bouncing up and down for a few hundred miles, where will the bags actually be? I had thought about making a sort of lower/bottom support for the bags that would attach straight to the brackets but still, having never used anything like this in the past I don't know how long two small knobs on the fender rails will hold a large fiberglass bag full of stuff. I'm no engineer but I do have some experience in breaking things and creating a mess.

Like I said, I may very well get the regular Strong Bags. Just trying to find out if anybody has them and what they think.

#4 ·
Graybush - I can't speak on those particular bags, but I can vouch for the strength of the Edge Brackets. I can made an 859 mile round-trip, with my Saddlemen bags loaded down. The Edge Brackets hold up well.

Just a note about them - the bolts aren't just connected to the fender rail - it goes through the fender rail into the frame. So, there's plenty of support!

#9 ·
Thanks to everybody who answered. I still have some time before I buy so I haven't decided for sure yet. It's good to hear people that have faith in the quick release setup for bags that big/heavy. I promise pictures once I get them and have them mounted either way.

Just a note about them - the bolts aren't just connected to the fender rail - it goes through the fender rail into the frame. So, there's plenty of support!
I never even thought about this until you said it. I feel like a(n):

#5 ·
#6 · (Edited)
******, do you how those things are supposed to fit?? :confused:

Does the curved part follow the guard profile, or do they hang down providing the lower bag support that seems to be the concern here with hard bag options?? I did ask Mutazu, but their explanation didn't make sense. Do you have them on your 9's??

#7 ·
I do not have them, I would imagine they would install between the tire and the fender, im not sure if the they would be hidden. Mock one up out of cardboard in the same dimensions. And play around with it might be put the best bet.

#8 ·
I have the strongs...but not quick release... they are easy to clean on the bike... and would be a cinch to remove ( off the mounting hardware .... 4 easily accessed bolts) but I never have seen a need. If you want to take them off the rail that would be tougher of course.

as far as looks, I think easy brackets would hold the tsuakyu bags unacceptably far away from the bike, personally....but I have had easy brackets before and they are strong enough I think for Tsukayu strongs..... (heck, even the Tsuakayu brackets wobble a bit....)

Annie

. .

#12 ·
I would recommend making a cardboard mockup the size of the bags and hold it up to your bike to see what you think. I did this for both the LN and MU bags. I thought the MU bags were a good size but the LNs were too small. As I recall, the LNs are about the same dimensions as the Saddlemen bags I used to have, but the teardrop shape of the LN cuts off some of the storage space. Here's a picture of the Saddlemen bags I'm talking about (Express Drifter Slant Jumbo) so you have a starting point:

In the end, you're the one who'll be paying for them so if you like them that's what's important.

#17 ·
Does anyone have the Vinyl/"Leather" strong bags? I am very seriously considering these for my '12 900 Classic. I would love to see pictures up close of the vinyl work. And how close does the colour match to the stock seat?

#18 ·
VicFlo,

These are the brackets that Tsukayu sent with the bags. Let me know if you need anything else. "Top" refers to the part that attaches the brackets to the bike and "Bottom" refers to the where the bags attach to the brackets.

The top portion is 5 3/4" long and 1/2" wide:

The bottom part is 3 7/16" long and 5/16" thick:

The joint between the two is 1 3/4" thick:

#19 ·
thanks a lot in my own impatience i have made my own not so pretty ones but I will see if my pops can mill some up like these. I absolutely love these bags. now I just need new locks and to fix up the paint and scratches. For about $100 I can't complain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.