Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Boy was I lucky yesterday!

3K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Robotic 
#1 ·
Actually, not so much luck as God watching out for me. I usually do my errands for the shop on my Vaquero as long as what I have to pick up fits in the bags. Lets see, 45 mpg vs 15mpg in the truck, having ALOT more fun runnin those errands on the skoot, kinda like cheating!

Yesterday I had to get some parts for a customer's skoot. Now I have been real sick for about 2 1/2 weeks and have not ridden the skoot. Not having a spleen has my bouts with colds and such a bit tuffer than it used to be, and if I'm not careful a cold will turn into bronchitis, then I'm out for a month. So off in the truck I went.

I was sitting at a red lite, lite turned green and the cars in front started to take off. For what reason I'll never know the lady in the car ahead of me stopped, and so did I. The only problem is that the guy in the 1994 F250 dually behind me had no clue traffic had stopped and slammed into the back of my truck. I saw him coming in my mirror and said "oh s%^t"! I deffinately saw stars! His reason was his bag of groceries had fallen onto the floor of the truck and he was picking up the stuff, he didn't even know he hit me till he, uh, hit me! The impact was so bad it knocked all my mirrors out of wack, threw the ash tray out of the dashboard, my seat is bent back and I can't get it adjusted into my normal position. The left side of the bed has been shoved closer to the rear of the cab than it's supposed to be. One thing tho,the front of his Ford was a mess!

So, this is one time I am glad I was too sick to ride the Vaquero. If I was on the Vaquero it would have been real bad, I would have been hurt REAL BAD and the skoot totalled!

RACNRAY

See less See more
#4 ·
Glad you fared well!
A hit like that in a truck can bruise you up; on a bike it can bury you.

Being hit from behind in stopped and stop and go traffic is my biggest fear on the skoot.
Just curious. If you had been on the bike, when you saw him coming; could you have lane split, maybe bounced off of a couple of cars and avoided his front bumper?

When I am intersections I don't like.
I try to point my bike at an angle directly at the area between lanes.
I don't always remember when I stop, then I look around and think about the danger again.

Scott

#5 ·
THANX GUYS....I am heading to the hospital in a few minutes to have myself checked out. I have had a headache since this happened, and my neck is very stiff.

RACNRAY

#8 ·
YEP...gonna go the whole route...chiro, massage,physical therapy, whatever is needed. I'm starting to feel it today more than I did yesterday. ER gave me scripts for Motrin and some muscle relaxers, they said I was really tight in the neck and shoulders and lower back.

I keep thinking about the impact and I am just grateful I was not on the skoot. I may have been visiting the ER in an ambulance yesterday rather than driving myself there today.

RACNRAY

#9 ·
X-rays to check spinal curvature and for fracture. If there is abnormal curvature then off to the chiropractor you go.

Then massage therapy to encourage circulation. Soft tissue- particularly tendons don't have much blood flow so any microtears not only heal slow but can leave scar tissue which adheres to everything - muscle to bone to fat to nerve to vessel. You want to restore function and expedite healing.

Also- hydrate hydrate hydrate. Tissue that is moist is healthy and promotes circulation. No circulation of fluids= stasis/inflammation.

Don't be surprised if you are sore tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

#10 ·
X-rays to check spinal curvature and for fracture. If there is abnormal curvature then off to the chiropractor you go.

I'm a huge, huge fan of Chiropractic. I was rear ended about 25 years ago. Add to that a bad bike wreck about 5 years ago. It got to the point I couldn't move my neck left or right without huge amounts of pain. I thought I was going to have to give up riding. Man, that depressed me.

Chiropractor fixed me up to a manageable level.

#11 ·
You might be better off doing massage before aggressive PT. I have seen a lot of PTs start with imprudent use of weights and bands while the muscles are still cramping.

Few and far between are PTs that will actually do quality soft tissue work. At least in NY. I don't blame them- insurance reimbursements are obscenely low here and their expertise is often not in palpation and sensitivity to conditions beyond textbook protocols. The few that are do the work of magicians.

Are you in FL? I hear the med profession is paid much better there.

#12 ·
Glad you're OK! A friend of mine was rear-ended on his bike a couple of years ago, and somehow he too was relatively unhurt.

#16 ·
THANX AGAIN GUYS...i took the truck this mornin over to an auto shop owned by one of my customers...real good guy with a good shop. Does frame straightening/body work, etc. He crawled under the truck and saw the left main frame rail is bent and twisted, took a real good hit there. I knew something was wrong on the left side as the front of the bed is 1/2" to 3/4" closer to the back of the cab than the right side.
At least he'll be able to stretch and straighten out the left frame rail, but he feels this is gonna be about a $7000.00 repair.

I think how of how bent that Vaquero would be!!!:eek:

This guy that hit me is a prime example of how not paying attention to proper driving causes stupid and preventable accidents. If he was looking at the traffic ahead and not picking up his groceries that had fallen on the floor this would not have happened.

Anyways, a banged up truck is not bad, if it was my Vaquero my heart woul be surely broken!!

RAY

#20 ·
Actually, not so much luck as God watching out for me...
RACNRAY, I'm truly glad that you were/are being watched after.

While I have had my own share of close calls that come with 35+ years of driving and 45+ years of riding, I have been involved in only three actual collisions (I refuse to call them "accidents"), ALL of which were while I was sitting motionless as an apparent stationary target with no means of escape at a stop sign or red traffic light.

The one that happened while on my ride some thirty or so years ago was not pretty, even though I managed to somehow (Divine intervention) escape totally physically unscathed, as my then-nearly-new KZ1000 was totaled beyond recognition and looked like an accordion after the drunk ran us down---"But occifer, I din't see no light or no mortorbikecycle or nothing! BURRRRRRRRRRRP." After all these years, it still pisses me off just thinking about it.

#21 ·
Please don't go to a chiropractor. He will want to see you for 35 visits and bilk the insurance company, and sell you all the supplements he has at his office also!. Do yourself a favor and find a DO(doctor of Osteopathy) who can treat you with medication and manipulation and do you some real justice. Physical therapy will probably be needed for your neck pain and cervical muscle strain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.