Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

both indicator lights on, until i rev up

8K views 29 replies 8 participants last post by  xxxxxxxxmatt 
#1 ·
hey everyone, i bought a vulcan 500 ( my first bike) my indicator lights are turning on at low rpms but when i rev up they turn off, can someone please help me?

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum.
We're probably going to need more information to help though.
Is it a new bike (2008, 2009) from a dealer, or is it an older, used bike from a prior owner.
What year is the bike? (same model can have different aspects depending on the model year)
Did you get the Motorcycle Owner's Manual with the bike? (It has a list of trouble shooting instructions) If not, certainly consider getting one, or a third party repair manual, before you do service on the bike.
Is the only problem the indicator lights?
Does it stall/engine dies when left running in idle in neutral gear?

Offhand, I'd say confirm that the battery connections are tight (adhere to all battery safety protocols here) and that the battery is fully charged. It could be a weak battery which, once you're revving the engine, is getting a sufficient charge from the alternator. Also, if the battery is one that requires distilled water to be "topped off" monthly, confirm that the levels are correct.
Above all else, ask questions of the person/dealer that you bought it from as they know it's history. Read through the forum's older posts as well, of course. You'll see what others have experienced and something may click.
Good luck,

#3 ·
thanks, the bike was bought used 4 weeks ago from a dealer it's a 2006, i do have the manual with it, it's got 5000km on it, both lights are on when in neutral idle, and in gear, at higher speeds i notice the lights flash for a split second when i pull the clutch but when i let go they turn right back off. engine never stalls or dies. i do have a tack installed. if i adjust the idle rpm higher the lights turn off but it seems kinda high. i'll take a look at the battery, oil level is fine, coolant is perfect too.
thanks for the help.

#6 ·
Like Reddyford said, it sounds like, if you're consistently having the issue when you hit the 2500rpm range, a vibration issue.

So, if you're idling in Neutral, the indicator lights are out.
If you then engage the turn signal, left or right, it remains on and the front and tail lights blink, correct so far?
If, still in neutral, you rev the engine up to 2500rpm which indicator lights are on and are they on steady? What happens to the front and tail blinkers at that point?
If you drop below the 2500rpm all of the indicator lights go out, except the turn signal, yes?
Have you spoken to the dealer yet? Certainly, within 4 weeks if you had an issue with the bike it would be in their best interests to fix it. I'd be concerned that the indicator lights (Oil pressure and Coolant temp) may be working right and it does indicate something's wrong at that rev level. (Above 2500rpm do the light go back out?)

Also, have you checked the oil and coolant levels? When was the last time the oil was changed? (The dealer should be able to answer that one.)
What's the oil look like (amber, dark amber, black as burnt tar)?

#7 ·
sorry i think i'm explaining it wrong, the oil and coolant lights are on when i start the bike and when it idling, when i rev up at about 2000 rpm they flicker and about 2500 they turn off, turn signals and brake lights work fine, as well as headlight no flickering at all with those. i called a dealer he says he's never seen that before and would have to look at it but couldn't get it in today. i did check the battery i'm getting 13 volts. oil looks a dark amber and level is good, coolant level is good too.
i really appreciate you helping me thanks

#10 ·
No, no. The airlock issue in the oil line can be caused by a dropped bike, but that may not be the _only_ cause of airlock. Just changing the oil and oil filter is a relatively cheap test and you can check it off. Give it a try. Nothing much to loose at this point, right?

I'd also consider a different brand of oil filter, just in case.
Purulator's are standard, inexpensive and pretty easy to find.

#11 ·
ooooh ok, i'll give it a try it sure won't hurt, and gives me a bit of practice, right now it's a kawasaki oil filter on it. i'll give it a go and get back on here let you know what happens. might have to wait till tuesday all the motorcycle parts places around here are closed sunday and monday.
thanks for the help big time.

#13 ·
Some auto and tire shops tend to carry motorcycle oil filters as well. If they carry oil, they tend to carry the filters too. (Pep Boys, AutoZone, Sears Auto, ect.) Always a good idea to find multiple sources as well.
(I'm using the Purolator "Precision Motorcycle Oil Filter", stock# ML16817 which works fine with my 2009 500 LTD. It's also the equivalent to the Fram PH6017 and the Honda 15410-MM9-013 and costs under $10.00)
Good luck,

#16 ·
Okay, you tried the fix as suggested and it didn't work. You used a new filter, new oil and the problem didn't go away. Yep, it's time to let the dealer work on it and find a fix.
Unless anyone else has any other simple suggestions here, it's time to let the dealer's mechanics have a go at it. Hopefully it's not an obstruction in the oil flow system or a bad pump.
Let us know how things turn out and don't accept "Yeah, we fixed it. Don't worry about it." as the final answer. Get details. It'll help you and others that have the problem.
Good luck,

#22 ·
Pull that oil sensor back out, does it have teflon tape on it for a sealant? if so, clean it off, bad idea. If no teflon tape install a gauge, start the engine and look at the oil pressure. Is isteady or jumping around? As you increase the rpms does the pressure rise some too? Steady or jumping around?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.