Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Considering a Vulcan

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Romans5.8 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello All. I'm checking out your forum as I may become one of you. I have a 2010 Cross Country Victory that I have up at the consignment dealer now because I'm downsizing my budget until my kids are finished growing and out of school. I've struggled with a replacement to my XC and the Nomad 1500 or 1600 has caught my attention. I can get good deals on either used and they look like good bikes that could fill that void and have me in the better financial position that I want to be in. I love my XC so I want to make sure that what I buy back I will be comfortable with (not just physically) for at least 2 to 3 years then I'll see what goes from there. I'm a mechanic and have some experience with engineering so how something is built is very important to me as I value product over hype or cult (Harley). Any input is apprecieted related to either of these bikes I'm looking at as they look like they are well built, designed and comfortable machines.

#2 ·
40XC,

Welcome. You'll find lots of good people and advice here. Over all the Kawasaki is a good reliable bike no matter which model or size you like. Wow! Sounds a little cultish? I love my 800 classic and would jump on a nomad for the right price good luck.

Ron M

#6 ·
Also the 900 puts out very similar performance numbers as the single carbed 1500's. The FI's put out a little more. Just putting out there to consider. It is hard to down size with bikes. I had to for a few years. I went from a 1600 mean streak down to a 99 1100 yamaha v-star. I am glad I got it because it kept me riding and allowed me to get my fiances in order enough to get my V2K earlier this year.

How much time are we talking about for the kids to get grown?

#4 ·
Well if the finances allowed I would be seriously shopping for a nice Nomad or at least a 1600 or 1700 Vulcan. I sat on a 1700 and the ergonomics for my size 6'2" 275# was really spot on. Sat on a Road King next to it and quickly realized HD's are generally set up for smaller riders.

As far as build quality and reliability. I doubt you will find anything any better. Though thats true for just about all major bike makers these days.

Alas, I am on my VN800B until finances get a bit bettern, hopefully soon!

Oh and wekcome aboard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#7 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm glad you brought up the the size thing. I forgot about that. I'm only 5' 6" but I find myself cramped on the Harley touring frame bikes and I really hate when you put your feet down while the passenger floorboards are down and the bike is still moving a bit (OUCH). Harley revamped their frame on their touring in 2009 and missed a great opportunity to correct this.

The 900 sounds like a great machine but I can easily afford these used 15's and 16's I'm looking at and I wouldn't want to find out after the fact I cut myself short. One couple had a 900 they bought new but only had it for a short time and they up-graded to a bigger bike because they felt it a little lacking for the two up riding they always did.

The riders club I'm part of has some current and prior Vulcan owners and we're having our December meeting this Sunday so I can check with them too. One guy has moved to Harley, another to a Victory and one guy is still happily riding his Vulcan and I've never heard any of them say one bad thing about the bikes.

Again, thanks for the replies and I welcome any other input.

#8 ·
Hi everyone. I've decided to keep my Victory Cross Country so I'm out of looking for a different bike for now. Some options came available to allow me to restructure some finances and keep it. I was really reluctant to get rid of it and I'm sure I would have really missed it if I had. I do appreciate all the response and advice from those that offered it. I still may upgrade my 16 year old son to a Kawi in the not to distant future. He is riding the '82 Yamaha 400 that I got new when I was a teen which is kind of cool in a way but I think a 900 Vulcan might be a good next step for him down the road when it's time to take things to the next level. There seems to a a lot of good down to earth people on this forum and that's kind of refreshing based on what I've seen from some others.

#9 ·
Glad it worked out.

The 900 is a great bike, for sure. My wife and I tour two-up with it all the time, with hard bags, a tour pak, and luggage strapped on to boot! I'm not sure why someone would have an issue with it two up, unless they were trying to tour at 110 or something.

It does get a little buzzy on the highway, no real vibrations to speak of but it runs at a fairly high RPM which bothers some people. Also, a mono shock suspension so poorly maintained roads can wear you down sometimes. Other than that though, it's a fantastic bike. Considering the price and fuel economy, it's definitely worth it even with the compromises it inherently has.

FWIW, I wouldn't really consider it a 'small' bike at all. Yes, it has less cc's of displacement than some other bikes, but it weighs nearly as much, has as much power, and is as big or (more often than not) is bigger physically than many much larger bikes (1500/1600 Vulcans, it's longer and a tad wider than anything Harley makes including touring bikes, etc.) But that's me. CC's don't always tell the whole story.

It's a great bike, but I wouldn't mind a Victory XC ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.