» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums (http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Vulcan Forums News (http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Our December 2012 BOTM Winner, pcarrell! (http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32196)

MN-Rider 12-30-2012 12:16 PM

Our December 2012 BOTM Winner, pcarrell!

After a run-off vote, we have a winner. Congrats pcarrell!

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...r/IMG_0759.jpg

OK, I was in last month's voting, but honestly, nobody stood a chance against smedlin's bike. That thing is stunning!

Anyways, I'll throw my hat in the ring one more time.

Year: 2001
Model: Drifter
Eng size: 1500
Pipes: Vance & Hines Longshots
Seat: Fire & Steel
Wheels: Stock Spokes
Accessories: The list is long, check out the story
And the story: OK, here goes.........

I wanted bike that the wife and I could enjoy before she could no longer ride. You see, she has Muscular Dystrophy, and it's degenerative, so one day she won't be able to ride anymore, but in the meantime, we ride!

I've added floorboards for my wife (on custom made brackets), and did a ton of my own custom leatherwork (a skill I picked up many years ago). All of the floorboard skirts, tour pack leatherwork, and fender skirts are my own work. The tank bra and rear fender bib are from Chilowee leathers. There's Iso grips under the fringed and laced covers for my comfort. The pipes are Vance & Hines Longshots that have a nice throaty sound with a bit of bark with a twist of the wrist. I've also added a Meanstreak clutch pack with the 2 piece holders that give the bike a more positive feel. I also fabricated my own license plate lay down bracket that is totally hidden for a nice clean look. The tank badges and air cleaner emblems are from Zambini Bros (I've stripped all the brand labels from the bike totally). The tour pack is an old '69 Harley shovelhead pack (custom made brackets) that I fitted with a current model Harley wraparound backrest pad (to keep the wife planted). I created a bracket to move the rectifier under the radiator and in it's place on the left side I've mounted a 50's era chrome Harley tool box on a custom made bracket. I've also added amber fog lamps and a custom bag behind the Nomad style windshield. The mirrors have been swapped out for some Emge mirrors that are a bit more curvaceous. On the 2up seat, I stripped it down and added gel pads to it for comfort (mostly for the wife).

The future calls for a little more leather work, a fender light I've had for a while now, and I'm working on some home made lowers. After that, maybe paint, if I can make up my mind on something.

Personally, I like the solo look best, but I ride with the 2up look most of the time.

Romans5.8 12-30-2012 05:24 PM

Well deserved. I'm a sucker for the old school look. I also love it when the BOTM winner is someone who did something unique, homemade or truly 'custom' to their bike, as opposed to just bolting on aftermarket parts!

Nothing wrong with bikes full of aftermarket parts, that happens to be what I ride! But I envy folks like pcarrel who have the skills and talents to create great looking things that, save for them building them for us, none of the rest of us have. So kudos for a truly unique ride!

pcarrell 12-30-2012 08:26 PM

Thanks Romans, and everyone else too!

Bear2123 12-30-2012 08:28 PM

Great lookin bike!

pcarrell 12-30-2012 09:13 PM

Thanks man

rusty_is_riding4life 12-31-2012 02:09 AM

Congrats PCarrell! I said it before and I'll say it again, thats the best looking drifter Ive ever seen!

Damo222 12-31-2012 02:59 AM

AWESOME bike mate.

bigsarge2012 12-31-2012 02:00 PM

congrats, nice looking bike

Toddyboy 01-17-2013 07:35 AM

Beauty of a machine man