Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Highway gears

7K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Bear2123 
#1 ·
I ordered a set of gears and a new chain for my bike. I went with the same 17 tooth front and went to a 38 tooth rear rather than the standard 42.

What a difference!!!!!!!!!!! Driving on the highway is so much nicer. I do not have a tach so I do not know the exact reduction of rpm's but I can say this. Going 90 now feels like 65 used to. Needless to say I am at the low end of 5th gear at 65 instead of the top end.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

#3 ·
I was wondering how that was gonna turn out for ya, keep us posted on any changes in mpg and any problems if any as far as installation or chain slack. I was thinking about doing the same with the scoot works highway kit but I want to see how the hypercharger does, might wait until just before spring to get some pulleys I just about have things where I want them for now

Sent from my Nexus S

#4 ·
I talked to the dealer about the chain stretch thing when I bought them. He said I would have about a 500 mile break in period which I will have to adjust the chain every 50-100 miles but after this I should be good. I will keep you all posted.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

#5 ·
Timb4302,

How much the RPM's changed is a matter of arithmatic.

Assuming your 800's transmission gearing is the same as an '03 Classic, the change you made from 17/42 [2.471:1 ratio] to 17/38 [2.235:1 ratio] is a 9.5% reduction of RPM's.

Stock 90 MPH at ~5,170 RPM, w/new 17/38's at 90 MPH, ~4,680 RPM
Stock 65 MPH at ~3,725 RPM, w/new 17/38's at 65 MPH, ~3,370 RPM

A world of difference - You do lose some low-end torque, but, for me, the comfort factor more than makes up for that.

My 18/40's [2.222:1 ratio - from Scootworks] are close to your 17/38's [2.235:1 ratio].

I'm very pleased with all my mods to date, but I consider the highway sprockets to be my best mod by far.

#14 · (Edited)
I had a 19 on the front of mine, and IIRC it was the same 2.11 ratio with the 42 rear. Starting in first gear wasn't an 'issue' per se, but it required either clutch modulation (no fear, we have wet clutches) or just being ready to go. But then again this is Florida. Stopping at some stop light or stop sign while facing up a serious hill, like those intersections in Pennsylvania, would have me not using 2.11 final ratios.

But I was fine with it, the five people I let test-ride my bike got used to it right away, and the guy I sold it to and basically re-taught how to ride a bike is doing fine with it even as a quasi-beginner. Again, though, this is really flat down here.

I ordered mine from jawzy's which is local too me. I wanted to do a 18/38 but he explained that it is hard to fit the larger 18 front so I just went with the 17/38, overall I love it!

Thank for all the math!
I had very little trouble putting a 19 tooth on. For the 19 I laid the chain on the sprocket, then slid the front sprocket on.

When the chain was tensioned up, the chain did not hit that block at all. The rubber block is the closest thing to the chain, so there is plenty of room.

For highway gears - IMHO go big, or go home. Going smaller in the rear brings the chain to a place that some have had chain-slap issues in the past on 800's, and it's just installing a smaller sprocket system that will incur more wear over the same amount of miles than a larger front and rear sprocket will. Who wants either of those issues?!

#9 ·
Even with the 17/40 I used to have on mine, starting out in 2nd wsnt really an issue for me as long as I know It was in 2nd and I didnt let the clutch out to fast. Dont know of anyone using the 18/38 setup, but think you should be ok as long as you dont ride much 2up or into the hills alot. Keep in mind te motors like to revved. If you do this, let us know how you like it. Should be great if you run at 80 or more alot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.