Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

For those who have changed gear ratio

5K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Wild_Bill 
#1 ·
I see several of you have changed to Euro Gears, or changed a pulley or 2.

Of those that have, did you notice any change in MPG?
Positive or Negative.

I would think it would have a positive effect on at least highway MPG.

Thanks.

#2 ·
Dad, I know this does not answer your question, but I recently put on a 33 tooth front pulley, then weather became unfriendly, so no test on mileage. Though I did notice that 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears were all held longer.

And by the way, how are the Exedra Max 's holding up for you?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#5 ·
Thanks guys, but I wasn't really asking about the driveability.
I've read about that numerous times.

Just the MPG.

The Excedra Max's seem to be so so.

I've got about 4K on them and they look rough. I don't expect to get any more than any other. Maybe less. We'll see in the spring.
Don't ride much for the next 3 months.

I'll probably get another rear to match the front when it goes, but after that, I may go back to the Cobra's. They are more expensive, but I like the way they feel better and they did last the longest.

#10 ·
I have been curious about the "Euro Gears". I like the idea of letting this beast stretch its legs out. 1st gear is suited for pulling stumps.

#7 ·
I did both, in stages. Couple months ago, I put a 33 tooth pulley on Belle. The performance is as you read, the MPG was roughly the same. Then a couple weeks ago, I installed the euro gears. Again, performance you have read about. MPG? Unknown yet. The tank came off, so I lost the trip numbers, and then the Rostra went on, again losing the trip numbers. I think it may be *slightly* better, but that is mathematically induced. Before the changes, I would ride 100 miles, the odo would read 110, so MPG would be high. Now 100=100, so it would fall off some. This is balanced by the engine working less, and being more efficient.

Agree on Excedra's. I have about 1k miles on mine and already see the wear on the rear. Darkside is next.

The rostra is on and working. Not smooth at all, surges real bad at low speed, with magnets. It may need a longer actuator arm, I am not sure. Posted for "wiring help", but it apparently isn't common enough for much to be out there.

Rubber side down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.