Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

scootwork front pully

5K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  evodog 
#1 · (Edited)
scootwork front pully or 200/70-15 rear tire

Hi guys, i have read many reviews and here on the forum about the scootwork front pully. everyday i ride on the street and always feel like once i pass 50mph i feel the need of a 6th gear.

does it really make it alot better ? I do city ride everyday. rarly go on freeway.

does anyone chaged pully themself ? or i should let professional do it ?
i dont know how to adjust the belt after install bigger pully, or i dont need to?

guess thats the cheapiest way to make it faster and lower RPM at higher speed.

please give me some of your input on this, thanks!!! :)

#2 ·
pully is not going to make the bike any faster... only way to do that is increase horsepower....pulley will decrease rpm at any true given speed, but it will still run the same rpm as it does now at indicated speed...

#3 ·
yes i know.....i mean when i go about 50 i feel like rpm start to go higher and i always thinking about 6th gear so rpm come down lower. thats what i mean, not really go faster, just want it to go smoother after 50.

or i have heard someone talk about 200/70-15 rear tire....

should i go with bigger rear tire or change pulley ?
saw many bad reviews about SW pulley wear out fast and all kind problem...
the bigger rear tire seem like the way to go and a lot less maintnance.

#4 ·
are you talking indicated speed or actual speed.... because the pulley will lower the rpm vs ACTUAL speed... but will not change rpm vs INDICATED speed .. that is if you are going by the bikes speedo !

#5 ·
they more you talk the more you confuse me......lol

what i mean what i want is when i cruise about 50 or 55 i want it to be less vibration.....i dont really care if it go faster.

everyday i go to work when i cruise about 50 i feel the need of a 6th gear so it gose smoother.

i dont need to go faster. a bigger tire will go faster with the same rpm.....
so if i put a bigger tire and i feel like i ride the same speed, the rpm will be lower and less vibration. correct ? i think so.

So i think i will just have to wait for the rear tire to wear out so i have excuse to buy a new tire or my wife is going to bit%@# at me.

#6 ·
evodog, On this bike the speedometer reads the transmission, not the wheel. Because of this, no matter what pulley or tire or combination you run, the engine rpm will always be the same when your speedometer reads 50mph. If you use a gps to check your speed instead of the speedo, you'll see a change in rpms when you change the pulley or tire size. So:
INDICATED SPEED = Speedometer reading
ACTUAL SPEED = GPS reading

#7 ·
Scootin

I put the Scootworks front pulley on at the same time I replaced my rear tire with a standard sized Metzler. The combination of a taller tire (the old one was worn out ) and the pulley has helped the top end "need" for 6th gear. You have to remember that the 900 is not a fast bike due to its engine size. For 60-65 ish cruising in a relaxed manner its just plain fun. You will need to have a shop tighten and check the belt unless you have a tensioner. The rear wheel needs to be checked for center tracking as well. You lose a little in acceleration but the top end for a given engine rpm is a little more. I drilled out my pipes and added a Fi2000 and K&N cobra intake all at the same time.

#8 ·
Replaced both Front & Rear pulleys 9-10 months ago. Made a huge difference on the highway cruising at 70+. I would think if you are city riding, just the front will help. The front pulley is the easiest to do (If you have basic skills). I have seen what you have done to your bike and you seem very comfortable working on it. If you want to see what the various changes will do, here is a good website that will calculate any changes in gearing. Speeds are all actual (versus indicated).

http://www.gearingcommander.com/

#10 ·
Thank!!!! that chart helps a lot. I changed tire to 200/70-15 and look at the chart. the MPH only go up like 2mph, so when i use to ride 50 mph is feel vibrate.
after i change the tire and i should ride at 48 and its low vibration but go about the same MPH.

200/70-15 on 2850 RPM = 50.9MPH
170/70-15 on 2850 RPM = 48.7MPH

so when i get the biger tire if i ride the same speed the vibration would lower down. just a bit.....not a lot.

will i really feel it ? or i will have to change two pulley and rear tire all at the same time to see a big difference.

hum.....what do you guys say ? SW pulley is like hit and miss to everyone.
this bike is my only trasportation and i ride to work everyday.
I can't have it mess-up from the pulley or I'm F-ed.

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
What vibration r u talking about? I don't get any until I am going 70 and up. For city riding this bike doesn't need anything. In was doing 90 on it and vibration was the last thing I felt. Just wait until u need new tires and get urself 200 on the back.
He maybe speaking about the 900s buzzy feel at 65-70mph. It's the nature of our high revving 900s. 4100rpm at 70. With my set up (both pulleys) it's 3600rpm at 70, but it's a completely different feel (don't feel any buzzing in my hands). Agree. replacing the tire (when required) will improve the rpms a bit, and for city riding, that maybe perfect.

#13 ·
Get the Scootworks front pully. You'll be glad that you did. Much more comfortable all through the range. Vibration, power, need for an extra gear, etc., is all personal feel and subjective. I had all the same complaints as you. I put the Scootworks front pully on and love it. Not just at 65 mph put all the way through the range. I think I'll put the back one on as well.

#14 ·
You'll like having the rear as well. My wife is riding with me (2 up) these days, and there is no issue with power, starting out, etc. Actually, I like what it does to the gearing through out all gears (stretchs them out), longer range between shifts. Cruising at 65, and I need to pass, I just drop down a gear, roll on the throttle and away we go.... :D

#18 ·
Just replaced my Dunlap 180/70-15 with a Shinko 230 Tour Master 170/80-15 hope it will give me a little more speed in fifth. Tire cost a little over $100.00.
So, the 170/80 has a 1 cm higher sidewall. That equates to 2 cm larger diameter than stock - about .8 inch. Can't wait till spring to try it out.

#20 ·
I found the baron's front pulley from phat and 149.99 is pretty reasonable deal. best thing is order tomorrow before 3Pm i will get it the next day. free shipping baby!!! they are close to me about 1.5hr away. I like their service.

now....what kind of material Baron's pulley made off ??? steel like kawi ? or aluminum like SW ?? also i have to call my mac to see how much they charge to put it on when i get it.
anyone have idea how much did you pay for installation ?

#24 ·
Ah...nice...good to hear this.
I saw other guy have it done for 36 dollar, but he also said 60 per hr labor....so i wonder how much he paid total. but i will ask around my local shop to see how much.....and i also did a reasrch to see hows baron's front pulley. every reviews i find are good.....so far.....and they made of steel instead of aluminum alloy somthing like that. and its cheapper....149.00 plus 5% off december special from phat :p freeshipping.

I'm ordering it on monday !!!! its set!!!

#26 ·
Good deal Evodog. Sounds like this will be a good path for you. If you are interested in doing more work on your bike, just look for sales at Harbor Freight for tools and a really good bike jack/lift.

BTW, did you get a chance to go to the Long Beach Motorcycle Show? It was packed, but lots of fun checking out all the 2013 models. Plus checking out all the bikes in the parking lot.

#27 ·
When was it? Damn it I was working all day today. And now I stock at my wife's company holiday party. She still drinking and I'm just here wondering when can I put my pulley on and take a span.......sigh so many thing I want to do to her....not her....lol

#29 ·
Evodog: Let us know how the front pulley from Baron's works out for you. I am interested in doing the same thing myself. I plan on starting with the front pulley and then maybe the rear. I have a mc jack and found out how to make a belt tension gauge so I will be set. Cheers.

#30 ·
nice , you have all the tools. well, there are lots people did their reviews here for baron's front pulley and all are good reviews compare to scootwork is like 50/50...if you are lucky...lol

so i went with baron's.

one tip for you!!! go to scootworks and get their installation instruction for the front pulley. baron's dont have it. its same thing just different name.
it tells you every little detail that you need to do.

good luck with installation :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.