Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Backfiring / Popping during shifting

5K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Pappyman 
#1 ·
Hey Guys - I just got an '07 1600 Classic and it already had V&H Big Shots it. They sound phenomenal, but if I roll off the throttle too quickly from first to second, I get what sounds like backfiring, but I think it's just popping. It doesn't happen in any other gears... up or downshifting. I think it happens from first to second because it's a BIG stretch from first to second. I don't think there are any changes to the air filter and their is no fuel management system installed.

Do I need a fuel management system? If so, what kind do you recommend? I know the PC is the easy / most popular choice, but there are others out there that I've heard some good reviews about. And if I do get the fuel mgmt system, should I just go the rest of the way and get the K&N air filter too?

#2 · (Edited)
The general opinion would be that you need a fuel management system. There are three choices. Dobeck, Cobra, Power Commander. If you go for the PC, don't get the EX model, as it's for California and cannot be dyno tuned.

Do a search, there is a real ton of great input on this subject.

As an example: http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30877

The popping might be cured by marbeling. Check gadjets site for details on that.

#4 ·
Check a couple of things first:

1) Check the nuts holding the header pipes for proper torque. If they're loose, there could be a small exhaust leak causing the problem. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN, again, proper torque!

2) When COOL, check the header pipes for small cracks. Same thing, exhaust leak could be the culprit.

If neither one of those is the issue, a TFI and/or marbling can help as well.

#5 ·
#6 · (Edited)
You don't have to do anything about it if you don't want to.

My V2K will pop when you reopen the throttle after roll off. I have found just changing the way you work the throttle when shifting you can pretty much control whether or not it pops. I'd describe what I do but I can't really remember...it's like muscle memory now, just something I automatically do.

#7 · (Edited)
I got rid of the baffles in the center pipe and drilled the rear outer baffle on my pipes. That modification allowed me to hear the popping on decel more readily. Note that it is always there but you just dont really hear it with stock pipes. I did the marble trick and it stopped 90% of it immediately. Easy to do. If you just have pipes and have not changed or modified the intake you shouldn't have to go the PC route. Save your money for Christmas!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.