Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Rear Brakes....how hard?

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  davemn 
#1 ·
Looks like I am at the end of the adjustment. How hard are the rear brakes to replace? I have a manual. Thanks for the help.

#4 ·
davemn,

Just curious - what model and how many miles?

At just over 33,000 miles, my '03 Classic is just about 30% into "Usable Range". At this rate (if the "guage" is close to accurate), I could get 85,000 to 100,000 miles on the OEM rear brakes.

We shall see.

#5 ·
I replaced my rear brakes at about 87,000 miles, but how you use it, and the type of riding you do will affect the life of them. The guage on the rear hub is just a guide, to know if they are really worn out, you need to remove the wheel and look at them. I say this because even them length of the chain can make the guage read different. The next time you have to tighten your change, pay attention to your rear brake peddle, if you dont adjust the brake, the pedal will have less travel before grabbing. When I bought my bike new, the adjuster was between 1/3 and 1/2 way used with everything new. The dealer told me I could remove the lever on the rear hub and move it back 1 or 2 splines and the indicator also moves further back to the usable range and you dont have so much rod sticking out of the adjuster. A smaller sprocket on the rear will also affect how it reads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.