clutch slipping [Archive] - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

: clutch slipping

goodbike cost money
06-23-2010, 02:15 PM
i have a00 kawasaki vn1500 classic 30,000 miles and this is what i have done to it the shop put new clutches in they told me this is what was causing it to slip i emptyed the resevoir i put another slave cylinder on bled through bleeder several time took bleeder completely off put slave cylinder back on and put bleeder in bled again and im still slipping away lever is soft to pull could it be now that i need to rebuild clutch master cylinder

fastpakr
06-23-2010, 02:44 PM
The clutch is slipping or it won't release? Those are two completely different problems.

goodbike cost money
06-23-2010, 09:46 PM
when i throttle down on it to pick up speed i have to back off because it seems like it is slipping

fastpakr
06-23-2010, 09:58 PM
Well, the only problem the reservoir/master cylinder could cause is an inability to release the clutch. Unless there's some adjustment at the point of clutch release at the trans (I've never actually looked at a bike with a hydraulic clutch, but I doubt there is), then there's something wrong with the work that the shop did.

mrvsfriend
06-23-2010, 10:09 PM
Could they have left one of the clutches out?

goodbike cost money
06-23-2010, 10:13 PM
could have dont know ran good for a couple days and i called him and he said the slave cylinder would probably need to be rebuilt so i took one off of my other motor that i knew was good and it still does the same thing so dont know whats going on with it

mrvsfriend
06-23-2010, 11:15 PM
fastpakr is right, if it's slave cylinder related it would just be harder to engage and the lever would sink, the clutch lever should be fairly stiff all the way to the top... if the clutches are new they shouldn't slip. I'm not sure why it would work for a few days then quit though. Sorry, I'm not of much help here.

Spock1
06-24-2010, 03:24 PM
Just for curiosity's sake,...are you running motorcycle oil in your scoot'..:cool:

I just thought I'd throw this in for good measure...:D

Hurricain
06-24-2010, 07:44 PM
Just for curiosity's sake,...are you running motorcycle oil in your scoot'..:cool:

I just thought I'd throw this in for good measure...:D

Excellent question,
but if the bike shop did the work surely they would have put the right oil back in or did they just lay it over on the side and not even drain the oil LOL
also maybe the clutch springs are weak.

Hurricain

Spock1
06-26-2010, 12:45 PM
Hurricain Excellent question,
but if the bike shop did the work surely they would have put the right oil back in or did they just lay it over on the side and not even drain the oil LOL
also maybe the clutch springs are weak.

Hurricain

:cool: Yea,..you're right.
Bike Shops would NEVER make a mistake like that,..even when training "noobs" in the service area. :rolleyes:
(It never hurts to point out the simple things sometimes though.) :D

sfair
06-26-2010, 01:53 PM
Did they replace "clutch release spring"?

mrvsfriend
06-26-2010, 02:10 PM
Hell, I've tipped a bike 45 degrees with a friend to change a stator, works well as long as it's a quick job, holding the bike up gets tiring though... :)

goodbike cost money
06-26-2010, 11:35 PM
the problem with the clutch slippin on my 00 kawasaki vn 1500 was caused by the clutch spring where the nut bolts the basket back in the basket had started grinding into the clutch spring so i replaced it with the upgraded clutch spring with a washer that sets on it and then the basket so now there is no way for it to rub on the clutch spring cost was 140.00 but is worth it now have full clutch and good release and more power thanks for everyones help and time

goodbike cost money
06-26-2010, 11:38 PM
also tore it down 3 times this week and found problem this morning thanks to roses kawasaki in rossville ga they had the parts in stock and no one in tn did and trust me it was well worth the 2 hr ride to be able to get on my bike again tear down and put back together 2 hours this morning

Hurricain
06-27-2010, 05:35 PM
Well you would think the shop that put the clutch in would have checked that and or replaced the spring while doing it. Oh well the main thing is you got it going now :)
Keep the front wheel down and ride safe ;)

Hurricain