Vulcan 1500 Clutch Slip [Archive] - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

: Vulcan 1500 Clutch Slip

nevap
05-03-2010, 08:47 PM
I have a 1996 Vulcan 1500 that has sat up for a few years and now the clutch slips after warming up. I have replaced the clutch spring, discs and plates but it still slips. Does anyone know what else could cause this?

sfair
05-04-2010, 10:54 AM
What brand of oil are you using?
Have you tried switching brands?

nevap
05-04-2010, 05:12 PM
I am using Kawasaki premium motor oil 10w-40. I have only changed the oil once since I restarted it so I haven't changed brands. It seems that the clutch handle engages the clutch when I barely press on it. I have a hydralic clutch. It used to engage the clutch about half way, now it don't.

sfair
05-04-2010, 05:50 PM
[QUOTE=nevap;52883] It seems that the clutch handle engages the clutch when I barely press on it. /QUOTE]

I think you mean dis-engage, correct?

You may have a hydraulic problem. Remove the cover on the clutch master cylinder and peer in there. You will see two small holes in the bottom. Make sure that they are clear. It might be a good idea to change the fluid and bleed the system, if you haven't already. If you notice small black floaties in the fluid, the master and slave cylinders may need kits installed.

Hydraulic clutches do tend to have their dis-engagement points quite early in the handle pull.

As an add, can you describe how you test for slip and what happens?

Post back with your findings.

nevap
05-04-2010, 06:58 PM
Quote: I think you mean dis-engage, correct?
Yes, I do mean dis-engage. Sure glad one of us knows what I am talking about. Okay, so I take the cover off the master cylinder and no floatys and I have completely changed out my fluid already. I look closely at the holes in the bottom and one is obviously open because I can see the plunger going back and forth as I press on the handle. I get a wire and try to stick in the very small other hole and nothing. So, I get a straight pin out of my wifes sewing box and stick it in the hole and I know I have something because when I press the handle, it squirts fluid all over me. I put the cap back on and press the handle a couple of times and the clutch is looser so I jump on the bike and take it for a spin down the road a few miles and when it is nice and warm, I go up a steep hill and gun it real good and waalaa, no slip at all. Who would have thought such a small thing would cause such big problems. I know the parts I replaced were out of spec. but probably would have gone a while if the real problem was fixed in the first place. My undying graditude to you for a good finish to a great day.

ihsjepsen
05-04-2010, 07:28 PM
If I were you I would go ahead and replace the brake fluid with the recommended DOT4. Brake fluid (for the clutch) tends to pick up moisture and should be replaced every couple of years.

midwest_motorhead
05-04-2010, 09:20 PM
Reminds me i need to do this to my 96 when i cahnge the oil. thanks for the reminder fella.

ihsjepsen
05-04-2010, 09:30 PM
Midwest,

I just finished bringing a '94 Vulcan 88 1500 back to life after it was sitting in a garage for 15 years and the hydraulic fluid in the clutch and front brake were gelled in the reservoir. This was a new one on me I had never seen brake fluid gel. Flushed everything out with new DOT 4 and the clutch and brakes all work great. :)

Goosecreature
05-06-2010, 07:17 AM
Reminds me i need to do this to my 96 when i cahnge the oil. thanks for the reminder fella.

motorhead,

I need to get this done as well. I didn't even think of it when I changed the oil on the weekend. Do you know if I can do this without draining the oil. I guess the real question is, does the oil sit low enough that I can get the left side off without draining oil first? I suppose I can drain some and put it back in after.

I also have a 96. Vulcan 1500 D.

Any info would be great. Bike's only two weeks old to me. Still learning a lot about how things are done with it.

ihsjepsen
05-06-2010, 07:26 AM
I have a 1500A-8, but I think the procedure will be the same. You have to remove the left side engine cover (no oil under there, it's just a cover). You may also have to remove the left front foot peg to get the cover off. You will see the slave cylinder and the bleeder. Hook up your 1/4" tube to the bleeder. drop it in a bottle with a little fluid to prevent air from returning into the slave and folloow the procedures posted in the forums to bleed the line until you see clean fluid.
Have fun!

zonian67
10-10-2010, 06:55 PM
having trouble bleeding clutch of my 94 vulcan 88,cleaned out pasty master need to know next steps

dloup
04-17-2011, 03:07 PM
wow Im impressed :)

wise old sage
04-27-2011, 01:49 PM
Your problem is most likely caused by the clutch slave cylinder. There are cheap repair kits out there. Good luck.