lowering the 1700 voyager [Archive] - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

: lowering the 1700 voyager

rocky
04-19-2010, 06:22 AM
My 1700 voyager has a 28.5" seat height. I have a 29.5" inseam. The bike weighs 900 lb.. I have my right leg missing below the knee. Stopping is sometime scary on uneven roads. As yet there is nolowering kit offered.
Is there anything I can do to solve my problem?

MN-Rider
04-19-2010, 12:05 PM
If there is no lowering kit available maybe an aftermarket seat would be lower or you could have your stock seat shaved by an upholstery shop?

lifecast
04-19-2010, 09:21 PM
All we have to do is find someone to be the Cavia porcellus (guinea pig) to find out if shorter progressive shocks will work.. If they do then I will definitely lower my classic with them.

new vulcan rider
04-19-2010, 09:56 PM
i know progressive has a 1 inch lowering kit for the 900's but i dont know about the 1700's

raw6464
04-21-2010, 03:59 PM
Scootworks has lowering rear shocks 1-3/4" and 2-1/2".

http://www.scootworks.com/shop.cgi/page=partskawlower.htm/SID=PUT_SID_HERE

1700 Classic / Voyager / Nomad - Custom Rear Shock pack & hardware to lower approximately 1-3/4" - $299.95

1700 Classic/Voyager/Nomad - Custom Rear Shock pack & hardware to lower approximately 2-1/2" - $299.95

eabjr3444
01-16-2011, 02:15 PM
I hear that the Corbin seat will lower it a bit

dolitsky
01-16-2011, 05:46 PM
Rocky-

I can tell you this...
I bought my '09 Voyager in Aug 2010, it was less than a year old when I bought it. The guy I bought it from sold it for the very reasons you are inquiring about.

He had the seat shaved and put progressive shocks on it to lower it a few inches. I would NOT recommend shaving the seat as its quite uncomfortable.

When I bought the bike I immediately put the original shocks back on and the progressives back in their box. After a trip I put a Mustang seat on, you probably want a Russell or a Corbin as they can be made to suit your need.

As for the progressive shocks, mine are for sale as I will never use them, these have about 1k miles on them. I think they were 300 I'd be happy w/ say 200 or so.

If that does not work for you, I can go out to may garage and at least get the P/N so you can hunt them down on your own.

ginobertoloti
01-17-2011, 10:24 AM
I did the lower kit from scootworks as well. They send out a 12'' shock 412 series that I have since replaced with a progressive 12.5 " 430 series shock. I am very happy with this set up. After my long and time consuminig research I find this to be what I was looking for. Many are happy with the scootworks set up and I also have a complete kit available including spacers for the Voyager/Nomad if interested. Not even 100 miles on the shocks.

The bike will be easier to get off the side stand and the center of gravity for me felt right. I am now sitting in the bike rather than on top. Just be aware of 2-up riding. Set the shocks accordingly depending on weight and always include cargo as weight. This kit will drop the bike about 2''

I am 5'8'' 190 lbs 30'' inseam. I have a Mustang seat that changed my placement on the bike. About 2'' back which for me made a difference when putting my feet down. Idont take alot of stuff with me and my wife aprox 140lbs is only on the back a third of the time

My VV gets compliments on it's new stance and the ride to me is an improvement.

tkerrigan
01-17-2011, 11:22 AM
I did the 412's and raised the forks an inch, I reach the ground now and do be very cautious entering gas stations with sharp dips with high loads as I read about a guy that smeared his mufflers. No problems cornering.

Banjo
01-19-2011, 07:46 PM
Does anyone know the stock shock length of the voyager?

tkerrigan
01-19-2011, 09:24 PM
If they are the same as the nomad, 14" center of eye to center of eye.

Eric
01-20-2011, 07:06 AM
If there is no lowering kit available maybe an aftermarket seat would be lower or you could have your stock seat shaved by an upholstery shop?

Shaving the seat works,I couldnt stand the stock design seat because it always wanted to slide me back and support myself with the handlebars so I went to one of those places were they install gel pads in your seat and to do this they have to shave the seat so I told him I could I just pay him to shave the seat and he did,and shaved it and put it on the bike till I liked the fit and only charged me 25.00 and it was worth every penny.It lowerd me about a 1''and I had him dish out the back part of the seat like the older nomad seats and now it is awsome and gives more back support. No more pulling on the bars and the seat cover is great to with no signs of surgery!I highly suggest this to all VV owners who think there seats suck its worth it! It a great cheap fix that works im 5'11'' at 230lbs now Im flat footed on the bike when stopping and just over all feel like I have more control over the bike it does that much good!:love: :skeleton:Hope this helps Eric

ginobertoloti
01-20-2011, 09:37 AM
Does anyone know the stock shock length of the voyager?

mine were 14.25". I could barely touch the ground. Hard riding with the wifey on back. Seemed to make the bike very top heavy. New set up is worth every penny and the stance looks great.:cool:

eabjr3444
02-23-2011, 05:29 PM
Do they make a corbin seat for the voyager that is plain?

MackX
03-20-2011, 05:19 PM
How do the 412 and 430 compare to the stock ride? I'm interested in going to a shorter shock but do not want to sacrifice ride quality.

JArthur
03-20-2011, 10:06 PM
I'm not looking to lower mine but to help with weight, I need to get stiffer shocks for it so if anyone knows which ones to get let me know.

raw6464
03-21-2011, 06:38 AM
How do the 412 and 430 compare to the stock ride? I'm interested in going to a shorter shock but do not want to sacrifice ride quality.

The rating of Progressive shocks according to their literature is:
412 Good
430 Better
440 Best
Here's their web site: http://www.progressivesuspension.com/?gclid=CL6O9-rB36cCFYLc4Aod4CP_9A

No matter which shock you choose you will be sacrificing ride quality. The Voyager has a very low wheel travel (3.1") to begin with, lowering the bike will only exacerbate that. If you need to adjust the shocks you have to remove the saddle bags. Also changing the oil also became a problem, I had to buy an extra large paint tray to catch the oil as my old one would not fit under the bike. So it comes down to what is most important. For me it was being able to plant my feet down. Installing shocks with the a high spring rate (300/35 or better) is pretty much mandatory. Here's the Progressive shock specs: http://www.progressivesuspension.com/pdfs/7100-105.pdf Good luck.

raw6464
03-21-2011, 06:40 AM
I'm not looking to lower mine but to help with weight, I need to get stiffer shocks for it so if anyone knows which ones to get let me know.

Progressive makes some shocks (465 series) with very high spring rates: http://www.progressivesuspension.com/pdfs/7100-105.pdf

But I'd call Progressive and get their recommendation first.

lifecast
04-06-2011, 08:49 PM
are all these shocks have standard bolt holes? Or is there something special about them to make them fit our Vulcans ? If so cant I just look for the length and spring rate I want and just buy any Progressive Shock that I want? or even any other brand of shock?

raw6464
04-07-2011, 05:55 AM
are all these shocks have standard bolt holes? Or is there something special about them to make them fit our Vulcans ? If so cant I just look for the length and spring rate I want and just buy any Progressive Shock that I want? or even any other brand of shock?

No the mounting studs on the bikes are not standard per se. Progressive supplies their shocks with a bag of spacers and washers to accommodate the different sizes. I don't know about any other manufacturer. If your concerned about a particular shock I'd call the manufacturer and get their opinion. Spring rate and shock length are critical in shock replacement.

ginobertoloti
04-07-2011, 08:52 PM
All we have to do is find someone to be the Cavia porcellus (guinea pig) to find out if shorter progressive shocks will work.. If they do then I will definitely lower my classic with them.

They do and I have a brand new set with correct spacers for the VV 1700.s
Just contact me on this site leave your info and I will get with you

ginobertoloti
04-07-2011, 09:22 PM
I am now running the 430 series shocks part # 430-4219B. They are an excellent choice for the Voyager. I feel the bike has better handling and a much better ride. The stock air shocks sit the bike to high for my 5' 8" frame.
The 430's are a 12.5 " shock with a spring rate of 210/250. The lower the shock the heavier the spring rate. There are only a handful of progressive shocks that fit these bikes and none have been tested on the VV by progressive as of yet so they cannot recommend to you a shock.
Scootworks got the ball rolling and tested some part #s and came up with 2 sets. Both 412 series and I have a set of them in a 12 " length that was alittle too low for the voyager because of the dual mufflers. The 12" that I have include the correct spacer kit for the 1700 Kawasaki's. These I would more than likely sell to someone with a Classic with the side exhaust and who would want to lower the bike.
One tip that I got from Progressive was to check and see what they had available for the Honda Vtx 1800 and the Goldwings as they have the same bolt pattern. By doing this I found the perfect set up for my bike using the 430 12.5 " and have many miles with no problems. I sometimes ride 2 up with a combined weight of 330 lbs (me and Mrs) and about a good 40lbs of stuff if we travel and no issues.
Phat performance parts gace me the best deal on these shocks . You adjust the pre-load by turning the head of the shock.

Wet
04-08-2011, 05:24 PM
I hear that the Corbin seat will lower it a bit

Yes, the corbin makes lowers your seat.

underdog
08-04-2011, 12:16 PM
I assume you used the same shocks on front and rear? I am definitely looking to lower the bike as it becomes somewhat difficult to handle due to my 5'8" frame too. Did Phat Performance have them as a kit for the Voyager or do you need other parts?

I am now running the 430 series shocks part # 430-4219B. They are an excellent choice for the Voyager. I feel the bike has better handling and a much better ride. The stock air shocks sit the bike to high for my 5' 8" frame.
The 430's are a 12.5 " shock with a spring rate of 210/250. The lower the shock the heavier the spring rate. There are only a handful of progressive shocks that fit these bikes and none have been tested on the VV by progressive as of yet so they cannot recommend to you a shock.
Scootworks got the ball rolling and tested some part #s and came up with 2 sets. Both 412 series and I have a set of them in a 12 " length that was alittle too low for the voyager because of the dual mufflers. The 12" that I have include the correct spacer kit for the 1700 Kawasaki's. These I would more than likely sell to someone with a Classic with the side exhaust and who would want to lower the bike.
One tip that I got from Progressive was to check and see what they had available for the Honda Vtx 1800 and the Goldwings as they have the same bolt pattern. By doing this I found the perfect set up for my bike using the 430 12.5 " and have many miles with no problems. I sometimes ride 2 up with a combined weight of 330 lbs (me and Mrs) and about a good 40lbs of stuff if we travel and no issues.
Phat performance parts gace me the best deal on these shocks . You adjust the pre-load by turning the head of the shock.

tkerrigan
08-04-2011, 12:26 PM
On the front you just raise the fork tubes 1" in the triple clamps. To do it right, jack up the bike and remove the front wheel and fender. Then remove the tubes. There is a small circular clamp on each tube that locates the chrome covers that point down. Move it a measured 1" up and reassemble. Be careful with the fender, ask me how easily it scratches. Would help to have extra hands for reattaching the fender.

underdog
08-04-2011, 12:32 PM
On the front you just raise the fork tubes 1" in the triple clamps. To do it right, jack up the bike and remove the front wheel and fender. Then remove the tubes. There is a small circular clamp on each tube that locates the chrome covers that point down. Move it a measured 1" up and reassemble. Be careful with the fender, ask me how easily it scratches. Would help to have extra hands for reattaching the fender.

So you put the new shocks on the rear and just move the front forks up an inch?

GimpyLeg
08-04-2011, 01:26 PM
So you put the new shocks on the rear and just move the front forks up an inch?

Or leave the front alone. Mine is just fine with only the rear change.

tkerrigan
08-04-2011, 02:02 PM
I don't know what happens to the steering geometry if the front isn't lowered also. Probably OK. I wanted to keep mine as close as possible to the way it came. Be aware if you lower that your bike will be pretty close to vertical when on the kickstand, so either be very cautious or modify your kickstand. Also remember that mufflers can drag on gas station approaches easier. Especially with two up. Good luck whatever you do, Tom

GimpyLeg
08-04-2011, 02:55 PM
Hey, Tom.

I have only changed the rear shocks with the Scootworks kit. It drives/handles just fine and I have no issues with the kickstand. Have only put 1000 miles on the scoot since lowered, but a lot of those miles have been on some pretty good hills and twisties. I have touched both pipes lightly hanging some hard curves and this past weekend made some rackett exiting a parking lot down to the road. 99% of my riding is 2up (Sweetie loves to ride as much as me). Upon examination, the light scrapes just touched a weld in the underside of the pipes. Decided then I ain't worried about it. We bought the bike to ride and it HAD to be lowered (got the "short-leg" disease). Besides, you can't see the scrapes without a flashlight and mirror.

underdog
08-10-2011, 12:29 PM
Progressive recommends 430-4258 B/C for the Vaquero and the voyager is the same bike I believe but dressed up.

ginobertoloti
08-11-2011, 09:47 AM
I assume you used the same shocks on front and rear? I am definitely looking to lower the bike as it becomes somewhat difficult to handle due to my 5'8" frame too. Did Phat Performance have them as a kit for the Voyager or do you need other parts?

Yes they sell the kit which includes the spacers and the 412 shocks. I have that same kit up for grabs . Shocks are like new and were on the bike only 3 weeks. Boxed and ready to go with the spacers. These are very easy to install as well. Feel free to contact me at 561 512 0355.

underdog
08-11-2011, 02:03 PM
I appreciate it. I ordered the same kit but with the 430 progressives.

underdog
08-30-2011, 11:09 AM
For those of you with the Progressive 430 series shocks. What setting did you put your on? I have adjusted mine to show 3 rings remaining.

Bubba in TX
09-04-2011, 11:13 AM
Not that I am trying to be a smart rear here, but the Venture I traded in on this VV, I raised it 3 inches to suit me. It was simple and I made the riser kit from 2 pieces of flat stock about 1 1/2 inches shorter than the original mono shock lift brackets. Thats the cool thing about mono shocks, its normally easy to make lowering/lift kits yourself. I wouldn't mind lifting this VV at least 3 inches too or more... feel like I am dragging my knees some.

mrjava
08-23-2012, 01:14 PM
Im also starting to look at the 430 shock as well as the front springs.
Has anyone used this combination?
Any issues with 2-up? or general ride-ability?

gcsteve
08-23-2012, 08:59 PM
Im also starting to look at the 430 shock as well as the front springs.
Has anyone used this combination?
Any issues with 2-up? or general ride-ability?

Just put the 430 on my Nomad. The ride and handling is better. I have the heavy duty and two up is great. But it is an inch lower and there will be tail pipe scraping. Still it is nice to be flat foot at stops and not such a heavy lift off kick stand. Im very happy with these shocks so far. I may do fork springs in winter.

Jackag
08-27-2012, 12:02 AM
Don't see too many posts on lowering the1700 classic, but I found a guy that was able to lower my original air shocks an inch. So far they work great, and they are orginal.

sacarriker
09-16-2012, 07:52 PM
Great info guys. Have read the whole thread. Great info. Will be making a purchase to lower my voyager. Going with the progressive 430. Has anyone put the 21 inch wheel on the front of the voyager. Have seen it on vaquero. Dealer says will go on voyager. Love the way bike sits with it. Wonder if it would be the same on voyager.

Scott_in_TX
09-16-2012, 08:08 PM
Great info guys. Have read the whole thread. Great info. Will be making a purchase to lower my voyager. Going with the progressive 430. Has anyone put the 21 inch wheel on the front of the voyager. Have seen it on vaquero. Dealer says will go on voyager. Love the way bike sits with it. Wonder if it would be the same on voyager.

Won't lowering the rear and rasing the front make a "perfect storm" scenerio for scraping up your pipes??

Scott

1700 Nomad
09-16-2012, 08:41 PM
I have a new 2011 Nomad and am only 5'6", so I can balance ok, but would like to lower the bike about 1-1.5". What would you suggest?
I am not flat footed , but with the extra inch I think that would be all I need.

Scott_in_TX
09-16-2012, 09:02 PM
I have a new 2011 Nomad and am only 5'6", so I can balance ok, but would like to lower the bike about 1-1.5". What would you suggest?
I am not flat footed , but with the extra inch I think that would be all I need.

What kind of boots/shoes do you wear?
A lot of riding boots have higher heels for shorter riders.
I am thinking of finding a pair myself.

Scott

sacarriker
09-17-2012, 05:13 PM

Read the whole thread. There is good info here. I would also check with the dealer and see if they have done it on the vaquero. I have been to two dealers lately that had vaqueros that were lowered and had 21 " rims on the front. Tat could be a hands on resource for you. The Vulcan baggers site also has a thread with some riders who have already done the nomad. Lots of good info.

sacarriker
09-17-2012, 05:18 PM
Won't lowering the rear and rasing the front make a "perfect storm" scenerio for scraping up your pipes??

Scott

Good question. I am going off a bike at the dealer that is already done. Will look at it a little closer before making a move. I run the 180/70/16 which is a little taller than the 170. Everything I have seen and read Leads me to believe this is a doable deal. Will be deliberate when I do it and target a specific distance when I lower the rear.

maxtech1
09-17-2012, 05:46 PM
I am 5'9" with 29 inch inseam. I installed a Corbin seat and it was all I needed to flat foot it at a stop sign. Some people need new risers to use the Corbin seat, I did not require them. Hope this helps some.

Raising the front forks in the triple trees does not change the stearing geometry of the bike, it does effect center of gravity if you don't lower the rear of bike.

SoCalCruiser
09-17-2012, 07:39 PM
I put the 430-4259 on my 2011 Nomad and had my seat modified (including a gel pad). Very happy with the results. :D

There is another good thread about Progressive Shocks on this forum here:
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29399