no spark and no fuel pump action [Archive] - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

: no spark and no fuel pump action

donduckhunter
07-12-2013, 01:12 PM
I have a 2005 vulcan 1500 classic fi, and the fuel pump wont turn on and I also have no spark. I have checked all the fuses and most of the wires. I tried to pull the codes of the ecu but nothing happens. Could the ecu be bad? Thanks in advance.:confused:I have also check the fuel pump and it work when I run power to it.

donduckhunter
07-22-2013, 08:26 AM
I figured out the problem it was my ignition switch. The plastic cylinder inside that holds the contacts had melted and one contact wasn't touching the other contacts. I also had to re-soldier a wire back on. So if any body needs a used ecu for a 2001-2008 vulcan classic 1500 let me know.

MAS Tequila
07-24-2013, 08:12 AM
I figured out the problem it was my ignition switch. The plastic cylinder inside that holds the contacts had melted and one contact wasn't touching the other contacts. I also had to re-soldier a wire back on. So if any body needs a used ecu for a 2001-2008 vulcan classic 1500 let me know.

That ECU will work on any 1500 FI bike.

MT

Chalover
08-12-2013, 11:37 AM
I am having the same problem with my 2011 Vaquero... Please help! I have checked every freaking thing...NEED ideas! How did you catch the switch issue? I get a crank but the fuel pump doesn't turn on when I set the bike to the on position.

car5car
08-12-2013, 12:01 PM
I bought dead 86 fuel injected GoldWing with dead fuel pump.
I hit pump by a hammer couple times and it begun working. In my case gas deposits clogged motor.
You should get a multitester and check if power gets to fuel pump.
If it does, remove it and connect directly to a battery.
If it is still dead, I would try hammer.
If pump doesn't get power, you need to check according to electrical diagram.

When crank sensor is dead, computer doesn't know that engine is turning and doesn't produce spark.
Fuel pump has to run for a few seconds after ign turned on.

sfair
08-12-2013, 01:44 PM
I am having the same problem with my 2011 Vaquero... Please help! I have checked every freaking thing...NEED ideas! How did you catch the switch issue? I get a crank but the fuel pump doesn't turn on when I set the bike to the on position.

Need some history:

1. How many miles on the bike?
2. How long have you owned?
3. Did the problem just show up one day?
4. Any work done before the condition appeared?
5. Any aftermarket add-ons...fuel processor, etc?

Post back.

Chalover
08-12-2013, 02:57 PM
I have made my first two mods to my 11 Vaquero and encounter my first problem.
I purchased the 13"Ape hangers kit from Roaring Toyz. I installed the brake lines, clutch line and extended the switch wires. I also modified the tail with the Kuryakyn license plate holder/Signals. I blew a fuse with the signal lights. Got a wire crossed found the issue changed the fuse and signals work fine.

My issue is the bike will not start! I turn the bike on, engine to on, bike is in neutral but the fuel pump does not turn on.

I hit the start switch and the bike cranks but not fuel for the bike to turnover! Please help!

1. 1800 miles
2. I make a year with it this month
3. Problem showed up after the mods
4. Installed Vance & Hines Slip ons last year
5. No aftermarket add-ons...

sfair
08-12-2013, 04:08 PM
There will be three fuses to check:

1. Ignition fuse.
2. ETV actuator fuse.
3. ECU fuse.

Are these three fuses OK?

Chalover
08-12-2013, 05:37 PM
Yes, i have checked those fuses.

sfair
08-13-2013, 08:52 AM
OK, check the wires to the kill switch, specifically the red/green.
When you installed the bars, you may have pulled, pinched or broken that wire which controls power to the fuel pump.
Since you were in there and now the fault is present, then there is a good chance this is where the problem is.
Did you do any wiring mods to install the bars?
If you cannot see anything, post back and we can get serious with the troubleshooting.

Chalover
08-16-2013, 11:00 AM
Ok, I have checked the wires to the kill switch. I have ran a continuity check on the wires from the kill switch all the way to the ECU. Power gets into the ECU but does not come out. Should I replace the ECU. Can anything stop the ECU from giving power to the fuel pump?

sfair
08-16-2013, 12:03 PM
1. Locate connector where kill switch connects to main harness. (inside headlight bucket?)
2. With battery negative reference, probe (with a meter) the red/green pin at that connector.
3. Key on, in run position, take voltage reading.

Post back with that reading.