Fuel tank shut off [Archive] - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

: Fuel tank shut off

Davo
03-23-2008, 10:51 AM
Yes, I'm a "newbie"! I bought a used "Vulcan Drifter" from the dealer here in Springfield,Ill. Rode some last year. they told me I didn't have to shut the fuel off, so I didn't. I have ordered a "manual" from them. In the mean time, I can't get the bike to start, seems flooded all the time. (soaked plugs) so I looked at the valve on the tank, and it says "res", "pri", and "on". Took the fuel line off and watched - NONE of them seem to shut the fuel off. it drips out when on res. and on, and runs out like crazy when on pri. Is there an off?
Thanks,
Davo

indianaroadracer
03-23-2008, 11:13 AM
Your fuel petcock should not run fuel when "on" or "reserve" and should only free flow when on "prime" or when there is vacuum applied to the petcock.

Be sure to address the root causes.

Problems
1. Your petcock is bad or stuck open, free flowing at all times
2. Your carbs are not stopping fuel flow via float/valve, overflowing flooding the engine, fouling the plugs.

My guess is you have some debris in your tank causing all these issues and a shut off valve may provide an instant improvement it may not be a permanent solution. If the carbs are flowing enough gas you may have it in your oil too. Check your oil level and do the sniff test. :)

Davo
03-23-2008, 05:19 PM
Thanks!
I'm off to the garage! My wife's aready complainin' about the " fuel smell"? Ha! Been a mechanic all my life, ya'd think she'd be used to it!!

Davo

Davo
03-23-2008, 08:03 PM
Ok,

Drained the tank, pulled the fuel petcock, looks like there is no "off" by the knob.
Found some little "white stringy" things in the valve. Seen them before in carbs - seem like since the introduction of alcohol in gasoline. Have to flush the tank yet, then replace the valve. My question is - when in run or reserve, can the valve allow any fuel? like drip? or not? I'm guessing not, but wonder.
Thanks,
Davo ps, can't wait for my manual!!!

indianaroadracer
03-23-2008, 08:31 PM
Ok,

Drained the tank, pulled the fuel petcock, looks like there is no "off" by the knob.
Found some little "white stringy" things in the valve. Seen them before in carbs - seem like since the introduction of alcohol in gasoline. Have to flush the tank yet, then replace the valve. My question is - when in run or reserve, can the valve allow any fuel? like drip? or not? I'm guessing not, but wonder.
Thanks,
Davo ps, can't wait for my manual!!!

You fuel petcock has two hoses connected to it, yes???

One is the fuel line to the carb/FI body (is your bike FI?)
Second is a vacuum line connected to the intake manifold

In normal operation, the vacuum petcock valve is held closed by the small spring. When the bike is running the vacuum pulls the valve open and allows fuel flow. In prime, the fuel flows around the valve. Typically a vacuum petcock will not allow fuel to seep or drip.
If you found debris in the petcock I would throw it back together and try it as new petcocks are EXPENSIVE. You can test it on your bench to see if it seals and by applying a small amount of vacuum to the petcock to see if it opens when vacuum is applied. I would use a clear hose and suck on it to check the vacuum. Note, it doesn't take much vacuum at all and too much will also cause damage, ie don't connect a mighty vac and start pumping. ;)

Davo
03-23-2008, 08:51 PM
Thanks!
I'll check it. Mine is not fuel injected, it has a carb.
Thanks again,
Davo

Davo
03-24-2008, 04:21 PM
Indianaroadracer,
THANKS! I got 'er runnin' Did what you said. No fuel dripping from the fuel valve now!. I'll let her sit over night and check again! I think it's a winner!
Thanks again!
Davo

indianaroadracer
03-24-2008, 06:29 PM
Indianaroadracer,
THANKS! I got 'er runnin' Did what you said. No fuel dripping from the fuel valve now!. I'll let her sit over night and check again! I think it's a winner!
Thanks again!
Davo

Excellent, as I would guess that fuel petcock around $70.00.

Davo
03-26-2008, 09:17 PM
I'm "smiley"!
The bike has been starting every time. Thanks again!
Davo

indianaroadracer
03-27-2008, 06:30 PM
No problem, you can repay me by posting some pics of your ride :)

canadianrider
04-09-2008, 01:22 PM
I have a 2003 Vulcan Classic 800. I also have a different sort of problem with the feul selector valve. When in the ON position it starves the engine for feul and the engine stalls. In the Prime and Reserve position it runs well. Problem started quickly just yesterday.

indianaroadracer
04-10-2008, 05:31 AM
Sounds like a petcock issue. Tank mounted petcocks have small filters inside the tank, its possible the filter has come off and got some gunk in there blocking fuel flow. Another possibility is if the petcock is not mounted directly to the tank you could have a pinched "on" fuel line.
I'm not sure the configuration on your bike. :)