voyager running temp [Archive] - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

: voyager running temp

motodoc43
06-18-2009, 08:32 PM
I drove my voyager home today. I think it is running way too hot! It was, within a few minutes, at the second to the highest white line- two over the middle. On the highway, it was only about one half line lower- still more than one white line over the middle- and my legs were burning hot. The fan was on, and the coolant level is fine. At first I though that they might have forgotten to put coolant in. At any rate, Where are the other voyagers running? I cannot immagine it running this hot and burning my legs all the time!

22724_Voyager
06-20-2009, 06:42 AM
Mine does the same thing, I have been told that the cooling system is both air and liquid cooled given the size of the flanges on the engine. But my bike runs almost to the last white line on the temp gauge, and when I put my hands down near my legs it is damn hot around the engine. I was wondering if that was normal as well. I hope when I ride it during the scalding summer days the bike doesn't over heat on the highway

motodoc43
06-20-2009, 12:46 PM
Mine does the same thing, I have been told that the cooling system is both air and liquid cooled given the size of the flanges on the engine. But my bike runs almost to the last white line on the temp gauge, and when I put my hands down near my legs it is damn hot around the engine. I was wondering if that was normal as well. I hope when I ride it during the scalding summer days the bike doesn't over heat on the highway

We actually talked to the engineers at Kawi. They said that is normal and the way it is designed. The fan come on just above the second to the highest white line and keeps the temp there (check to see if the fan goes on there- it should). I have ridden 30 miles at 75mph on the freedway with an air-temp of almost 100- it stayed right there on the temp guage. I have taken the lower fairings off (the vents just weren't cutting it!), and it is now very pleasant to ride on the hot days. I think in winter those lower fairings will be just like having a heater!

Boulevardvette
06-20-2009, 10:33 PM
I just brought mine home today and noticed that it does run very hot I hope this is normal as everyone says, I would hate to damage this brand new bike.

motodoc43
06-22-2009, 11:51 AM
Any nomad owners here having issues with how hot their bike is running?

macbig
06-22-2009, 06:01 PM
Just got my voyager on 13 June and I to can't believe how hot it is! Throw in Florida and it's like riding a lava lamp! I can't believe that the engineers did not notice apon adding the lower fairings this happening and still letting it out the door! I'm going to try taking the lower fairings off, if I don't get relief, I might have to look into the return policy. The other thing that torqued me was the salesman didn't inform me of the RPM break-in deal (<2500 rpm 1st 500 miles, <3500 the 2nd 500), and since it had 40 miles on it as a demo (how many rider is that? 30 or so?), how many times did the rpm's get exceeded? I did it several time myself before I read the owners manual! How many people read the owners manual before riding their bike's home? Or before test rides for that matter. Am I over reacting on these things?

Boulevardvette
06-23-2009, 11:00 AM
I contacted Kawasaki about this today, waiting to here back from them. It has been over a 100 degrees here for the past few days which makes this bike unbearable to ride.:mad:

T-Rex
06-24-2009, 05:22 PM
Been riding my new bike for three days now, at temps in the high 90's and low 100's. Temp gauge remains at two clicks from "H", when riding today in overcast conditons the temp actually was a hair above the middle mark. The "Low Fuel" light came on at 158 miles, when I filled up the tank it took 4.563 gals. Est MPG was 35.4. Most of the drive was on I-95, on cruise control, at 70mph. I checked my coolant in the reserve tank and it was low, topped it off to the "F" line. Checked the oil and it barely showed on the dipstick. Took the bike back to the dealer and was told that oil was fine. When asked how the oil was checked he stated that he unscrewed the dipstick, stuck it in the filler hole and pulled it out. I told him the book calls for the oil to be checked with the bike "straight up", not on the kickstand and the dipstick is to be screwed down into the filler hole then removed and the dipstick checked. He thinks the book may be a missprint, he's checking with Kawasaki now. He rechecked the oil while I held the bike "straight up." The oil came about midway on the dipstick. (Bike is only 3 days old.) He said oil level is fine, it shouldn't be to the top (full) line but in the middle? (Perhaps my garage floor is not level and that caused the low oil level?

The bike handled well on the highway. Plenty of juice at 2500rpm, can't wait until I can go 3500rpm and beyond. Sure would like to see a trunk rack for the Voyager 1700 on the market soon. Also, to relieve the heat, especially on the right leg, I installed Kuryakyn road pegs. When crusing my legs are not in harms way :) That's it for now - will pass on what Kawasaki has to say about checking the oil - To screw or not to screw, that is the question!
Later You'all,
T-Rex

Old Bike Guy
06-25-2009, 07:10 PM
It sounds like Kawasaki has some issues to iron out with this model. I'm seeing a lot of these same things being brought up in othe venues.

Guardian
08-01-2009, 07:16 PM
It's nice to have a place to read all this good stuff.

We took our voyager out yesterday and put 100 miles on it and the temp guage stayed just about that white bar over center. The fan did not come on until we were stopped and idling for a minute.

wolverine
08-02-2009, 01:02 AM
It's been around a100 degrees here for the last week and it's made for some very uncomfortable riding. The right side of my Voyager tends to get a little warm but then which big incn V doesn't heat up the back cylinder like that. It's one of the compromises I was okay with. (My Goldwing always stayed nice and cool). The temperature gauge in this warm weather has been riding between just over half way and three quarters when sitting in traffic. It doesn't take much to have it drop back down though when I start moving. Coming up to first service and I must say I'm more in love with it everytime I ride it.

captbubba
04-10-2010, 01:32 PM
also having issues with oil i think i have added too much going to pull a quart out very confusing even the dealer cant answer my ?'s

ginobertoloti
04-12-2010, 12:56 PM
We actually talked to the engineers at Kawi. They said that is normal and the way it is designed. The fan come on just above the second to the highest white line and keeps the temp there (check to see if the fan goes on there- it should). I have ridden 30 miles at 75mph on the freedway with an air-temp of almost 100- it stayed right there on the temp guage. I have taken the lower fairings off (the vents just weren't cutting it!), and it is now very pleasant to ride on the hot days. I think in winter those lower fairings will be just like having a heater!

How does she look and perform with the lowers off? I tried some redline water wetter mixed with the cooling system. I think it helped. and have decided to go to either Amsoil or royal purple oil for the next oil change. I run royal purple in my vtx and that did make a diff. the fan hardly ever comes on and the performance is noticed all around.

DrNo
04-12-2010, 01:08 PM
also having issues with oil i think i have added too much going to pull a quart out very confusing even the dealer cant answer my ?'s

Owners manual quotes the capicity if in question. These engines are a bit of a pain in the rear to check and change oil on.

alquinn
04-12-2010, 08:41 PM
In the service manual for the voyager they say get this (4.1 l can)(4.3us qt) when filter is not removed.(4.3L can) (4.5 us qt ) when fiter is removed.(5.0L can ) (5.3 us qt ) when engine is completely dry. what do they mine by completely dry my dealer puts 5.0L when the filter is removed not sure on that last oil change. i put 5.0L but let it drain for 24hrs seems to be alright leave it to kawasaki to confuse us,The manual says to check the level after bike has been idling or running for three minutes.Hope that helps ha ha.

DrNo
04-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Not so confusing. Just follow what it says. This engine retains some of the oil when drained as you cant get it all out so thats why it says 4.3L with a new filter. If for some reason you change the oil with the filter still on, it retains even more oil (in the filter) and thats why it says only 4.1L. It says 5.0L because if it is completly dry like brand new or it has been dissassembled and reassembled it willl have zero measurable oil in it and will take the most oil. The oil that stays in the engine is pooled in areas that will not likely drain no matter how long you wait. Im not sure by the service book if an overfill is going to hit the crank throws and if so, you can get alot of oil foaming from that which wouldnt be that good. Also whats amazing to me is that this engine takes as much oil as alot of car engines. Lots of oil tells me that the engine needs it for additional cooling. Probably wouldnt hurt for somone to figure out an oil cooler for the 1700. Wouldnt have to be too much reduction as taking too much heat out can be negative as well. One would have to accuratly measure the oil temp and compare that to the oil specs and see where the oil is happiest at.

alquinn
04-12-2010, 09:48 PM
Thanks good right up i knew the dealer when he said it takes 5.0L i wasn't so sure i will check my oil again tomorrow to make sure going to bed now 4:15 am comes early talk some more tomorrow good night and take care of that nomad.