: chain adjustment

jtaylor
04-01-2012, 09:25 PM
I have a 03 Vulcan 800 classic. What is the proper technique and chain slack for the chain adjustment? I have a repair manual on CD that I cant get to load on my computer and I cant really afford a hard copy right now so your advice on this subject is greatly appreciated.

kfolse107
04-01-2012, 10:04 PM
I have a 03 Vulcan 800 classic. What is the proper technique and chain slack for the chain adjustment? I have a repair manual on CD that I cant get to load on my computer and I cant really afford a hard copy right now so your advice on this subject is greatly appreciated.

I'm pretty sure that no matter what bike you have, it should be between 1" and 1.4" measured halfway between the sprockets.

t4kne
04-02-2012, 07:44 AM
I think kfolse is correct in the amount of slack. If you have done this on other bikes you can skip this rest of this email. If not, remember that it is just as important that you keep the chain running straight on the sprockets as it is to maintain the proper tension. Make equal adjustments on both sides of the rear axle, Eyeball the chain over the sprockets, it should be straight, running parallel with the sides of the sprocket.

davemn
04-02-2012, 01:47 PM
Yep....25mm - 35mm slack midway between the sprockets