vaquero miles, issues [Archive] - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

: vaquero miles, issues

scooter2
01-03-2012, 09:17 PM
ok so the vaquero has been out for awhile.has anybody got any serious miles on one yet? are there any problems too be aware of? i loved this bike the first time i saw it and want one bad just wondering how durable they are. might have to sell my vulcan and get one. i loved the black the best till i seen the new green man thats a bitchen bike.

Nines
01-03-2012, 11:38 PM
ok so the vaquero has been out for awhile.has anybody got any serious miles on one yet? are there any problems too be aware of? i loved this bike the first time i saw it and want one bad just wondering how durable they are. might have to sell my vulcan and get one. i loved the black the best till i seen the new green man thats a bitchen bike.

I hit 7K today. My love affair with the Vaquero has had it's rocky moments. I found it an absolute necessity to add a Power Commander to get the bike to run the way it should (Blame the EPA for most of this, Kawasaki has to adhere to a federal emission standard that has the manufacturers setting these bikes very lean from the factory) The heat issue when the fan kicks on is ridiculous. When the fan kicks on, the engine heat is blown directly back at the rider. Specifically the inner thighs and the twig and berries. It has been advertised that this is addressed and corrected in the 2012 models. Doesn't look like a 2011 retro fit is going to happen. There is a throttle response issue that a mod has been made to correct on this forum. And it seems more than one of us is experiencing intake leaks. The stock tires started to cup at 4800 miles. I have since put Metzler 880s on. The Vaquero is NOT a sit in traffic or frequent stop kind of bike. It's heavy and high.

Now the pro's. Once she gets going, the Vaquero handles like a dream. Especially for a heavy bike. It actually handles a lot better than some smaller bikes I have ridden. The Vaquero has A LOT of power and with a PC it would be a good argument that it's not the fastest stock bike in its class. I am averaging just around 40 MPG. I have taken the Vaquero on a few 500+ mile trips and have found it very comfortable to ride distances. You can literally forget that you are carrying a passenger. Whether riding solo or 2 up the Vaquero handles virtually the same. Plenty of room in the bags. Stereo sound is very good as is and the Ipod interface is really nice. (Kawasaki does charge you like $140 for the cable though. so get it included if you buy a Vaquero) And as you mentioned in not so many words, "it looks bad ass"

BrucerZX14
01-04-2012, 12:14 AM
It has been advertised that this is addressed and corrected in the 2012 models. Doesn't look like a 2011 retro fit is going to happen.

I've seen the 2012 Vaquero. Kawasaki did not install the heat mngt kit on them. It's only on the Voyager.

RACNRAY
01-04-2012, 09:02 AM
I have been enjoying my Vaquero to the tune of 15,607 miles since April 15th! The stock seat was poopoo after about 3000 miles, causing lots of butt pain. Kawi's gel seat was an improvement but was painful after about 5000 more miles. I had the stock seat re-done and it's much better. I installed Kawi's taller shield to help manage windblast from the stock "deflector" as it is called. Avon grips fit my hands better, allow better "feel" and don't get slippery when wet.

I've done LOTS of mods for performance, V&H 2-1 exhaust, my own free-flowing intake, PCV and custom mapping, my quick turn throttle. I have been using a larger than stock rear tire, lowers engine rpm at all speeds and increases cornering clearance. The latest tires are the Dunlops.

I discovered a pretty good intake leak on my Vaquero that may be plaguing other Vulcans, since the fix the skoot runs flawlessly.

The only problem now is my cruise control stopped working this past Sunday, so i gotta figure out what is wrong with that system.

I do like the new 2012 green paint scheme but i'll live with the red.

RACNRAY

Napom
01-04-2012, 09:11 AM
Ray - Try stomping on the brake (when stopped) to get the cruise to work . . . Someone on here said dirt gets in the sensor sometimes and makes the sensor think the brake is applied - hence no cruise . . . When my cruise "went out" on my Voyager, a couple of good stomps did the trick - No problems since - Now the brake stomp has become part of my pre ride ritual to prevent this from reoccuring . . .

RACNRAY
01-04-2012, 03:51 PM
Ray - Try stomping on the brake (when stopped) to get the cruise to work . . . Someone on here said dirt gets in the sensor sometimes and makes the sensor think the brake is applied - hence no cruise . . . When my cruise "went out" on my Voyager, a couple of good stomps did the trick - No problems since - Now the brake stomp has become part of my pre ride ritual to prevent this from reoccuring . . .

There are 2 switches responsible for cancelling out the cruise control, i checked both today with an ohm meter and they are operating properly.

When i have more time i'll delve into this further.

RACNRAY

BrucerZX14
01-04-2012, 06:51 PM
The only problem now is my cruise control stopped working this past Sunday, so i gotta figure out what is wrong with that system.

I do like the new 2012 green paint scheme but i'll live with the red.

RACNRAY

Takle some WD40 and clean the three switches. Clutch, rear brake, front brake. This should fix your problem with the cruise.

twowheeladdict
01-04-2012, 07:55 PM

The Vaquero is basically a Voyager without tour pack and other features. I know of one guy who has over 100,000 miles on his '09 Voyager. I know several folks with over 30,000 miles on their Voyagers. All trouble free.

Bubba in TX
01-04-2012, 09:04 PM
Although it will be really interesting to find out what is actually causing the cruise control problem. You are better off using electrical contact cleaner to clean the switches as WD40 is GREAT for a multitude of things, it does however become gummy and collects dirt. The switches are easy to remove, and thoroughly clean elsewhere. That way you can give them a good soaking.

Some people will soak it in alcohol which also worked well, but something better than that is Everclear. We got it in gallon jugs in the Air Force to use as a contact cleaner as it leave absolutely no residue on gold contacts. There is even a Federal stock number for it. (or was 25 years ago)

I always remove the switches and use "electrical" contact cleaner. There is no reason to put oil those switches, it collects crud. Squeaky clean and no residues works best.

DESERT ANGEL
01-04-2012, 09:14 PM
I hit 7K today. My love affair with the Vaquero has had it's rocky moments. I found it an absolute necessity to add a Power Commander to get the bike to run the way it should (Blame the EPA for most of this, Kawasaki has to adhere to a federal emission standard that has the manufacturers setting these bikes very lean from the factory) The heat issue when the fan kicks on is ridiculous. When the fan kicks on, the engine heat is blown directly back at the rider. Specifically the inner thighs and the twig and berries. It has been advertised that this is addressed and corrected in the 2012 models. Doesn't look like a 2011 retro fit is going to happen. There is a throttle response issue that a mod has been made to correct on this forum. And it seems more than one of us is experiencing intake leaks. The stock tires started to cup at 4800 miles. I have since put Metzler 880s on. The Vaquero is NOT a sit in traffic or frequent stop kind of bike. It's heavy and high.

Now the pro's. Once she gets going, the Vaquero handles like a dream. Especially for a heavy bike. It actually handles a lot better than some smaller bikes I have ridden. The Vaquero has A LOT of power and with a PC it would be a good argument that it's not the fastest stock bike in its class. I am averaging just around 40 MPG. I have taken the Vaquero on a few 500+ mile trips and have found it very comfortable to ride distances. You can literally forget that you are carrying a passenger. Whether riding solo or 2 up the Vaquero handles virtually the same. Plenty of room in the bags. Stereo sound is very good as is and the Ipod interface is really nice. (Kawasaki does charge you like $140 for the cable though. so get it included if you buy a Vaquero) And as you mentioned in not so many words, "it looks bad ass"

Thanks for your honest opinion, 40 mpg thats great I can not get more than 35 mpg on my vn2000 I must be doing something wrong :(

captj3
01-05-2012, 08:54 AM
Thanks for your honest opinion, 40 mpg thats great I can not get more than 35 mpg on my vn2000 I must be doing something wrong :(

Maybe 300+ cc's more has something to do with your mileage. :D Or a heavy hand...lol

RACNRAY
01-06-2012, 09:06 AM

Takle some WD40 and clean the three switches. Clutch, rear brake, front brake. This should fix your problem with the cruise.

THANX GUYS...all the switches were ok but i did find out the cause of the c/c failure.

I first checked the rear brake then the front brake switches a few days ago as per u'alls suggestions, they were ok. Last nite i checked the clutch switch. I noticed one of the spade connectors was loose on the switch. When i had the switch in my hand i noticed corrosion on the spade connector which i sanded off. i saw corrosion in the wire connector which i cleaned out, crimped down on the connector to tighten it onto the switch. Took the skoot down the road and set the c/c and was VERY HAPPY to see the green light come on.

It's funny how i have become accustomed to use the c/c ALOT, and when it did not work for that last 90 mile ride to get home i was not very happy.
I AM getting old and lazy!!

THANX AGAIN FOR THE HELP:highfive:

RACNRAY

king_arthur1953
01-06-2012, 07:34 PM
THANX GUYS...all the switches were ok but i did find out the cause of the c/c failure.

I first checked the rear brake then the front brake switches a few days ago as per u'alls suggestions, they were ok. Last nite i checked the clutch switch. I noticed one of the spade connectors was loose on the switch. When i had the switch in my hand i noticed corrosion on the spade connector which i sanded off. i saw corrosion in the wire connector which i cleaned out, crimped down on the connector to tighten it onto the switch. Took the skoot down the road and set the c/c and was VERY HAPPY to see the green light come on.

It's funny how i have become accustomed to use the c/c ALOT, and when it did not work for that last 90 mile ride to get home i was not very happy.
I AM getting old and lazy!!

THANX AGAIN FOR THE HELP:highfive:

RACNRAY

Old and Lazy is good. Much better than the alternative.

Roadie
01-09-2012, 12:49 AM
I've seen the 2012 Vaquero. Kawasaki did not install the heat mngt kit on them. It's only on the Voyager.

Was looking at the 2012 Vaquero yesterday and I also see no heat modification on the Vaquero for 2012, but it is there on the 2012 Voyager, they were sitting side by side in the show room and it was easy to see the comparison.

Roadie
01-09-2012, 12:53 AM
Never had any Cruise Control on any bike before my Vaquero, I now am spoiled by it and it would be hard to live without it since most of my rides are well over 100 miles or double that or even more.