Can you use an extension cord with a Battery Tender? [Archive] - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

: Can you use an extension cord with a Battery Tender?

at-home-daddy
11-05-2011, 07:50 PM
My Battery Tender says not to use an extension cord, which is understandable, I suppose, given the function of the device. But is it truly not a good idea, or are they just being unnecessarily cautious? I ask because since I'm not using an extension cord, the bike is in front of my wife's car in the garage...if I could use a cord, I could park it on the side of the garage, where it'd be more convenient and impossible for my wife to inadvertently smash into it when pulling in.

This is the tender I'm using:

http://www.americancycleandtire.com/Battery-Tender-Jr.jpg

MINI NSX
11-05-2011, 07:58 PM
I've got the bigger version, but mine's been plugged into an extension cord for years, I always use one. Just make sure you use one of the bigger gauge ones, don't use a lamp cord type.

WilburDink
11-05-2011, 07:59 PM
I have always used an extension cord without problem.

carguy50
11-05-2011, 08:54 PM
Me too. For years

BlAzE94
11-05-2011, 08:56 PM
Go buy or make a big orange cone put it in front of the bike a good distance tell your wife stop when she hits the cone...problem solved!

Sent by Lordz of Fire!

whiting57
11-05-2011, 09:15 PM
i have had two bikes for the past 3 plus years, both chargers are plugged into the same extention cord, i do use one of those heavy duty orange ones though. The garage is still standing and the house hasnt burnt down.

TX Wizard
11-05-2011, 09:35 PM
Sure thing as long as it's not a cheesy one. We had battery tenders on our fire engines and they were all hooked up with extension cords.

CRUISERDON
11-05-2011, 09:38 PM
The problem that they don't want is using an extension cord without a ground line. The amp draw is negligible, and the cord don't even have to be that heavy. I've used cords outside & in the shop with mine.

at-home-daddy
11-05-2011, 10:36 PM
Well, this is good news...I'm thrilled that it sounds like I can use an extension cord; I can't tell you what a positive difference this will make. As to this:

The problem that they don't want is using an extension cord without a ground line.

Can you dumb that down for me? Does that just mean that, as the others suggest, it just need to be a larger-type cord (not the skinny indoor lamp type)? I have a thick orange rubber outdoor-type one that I could easily put into service.

CRUISERDON
11-05-2011, 11:28 PM
GROUND LINE OR THREE PRONG !
For dummies only all others avert your eyes !
OOPs too late

Scorpo90
11-06-2011, 01:13 AM
A grounded cord is one that cannot be taken in an airplane.

sent from mobile device.

at-home-daddy
11-06-2011, 01:13 AM
Perfect -- thanks, everyone. Problem solved.

Sojourner
11-06-2011, 02:29 AM
Odd, I have the international version which runs on 220 VAC. It came with a two prong plug, no ground. I also use an extension cord of considerable length all the time. Just follow the instructions that tell you to plug in the charger after connecting to the battery and unplug before disconnecting from the battery.

Akgeezer
11-06-2011, 02:35 PM
2 years pluged into orange extension cord. No problems. Cord does not even get warm!

sealpt
11-07-2011, 09:23 AM
2 years pluged into orange extension cord. No problems. Cord does not even get warm!

Same with mine. At least 2 years and never a problem. I ride in the winter and the garage gets pretty cold. I found the tender necessary to keep the bike from having a hard start in the mornings.

bikeman2011
11-08-2011, 09:08 PM
I use my drop light cord(three pins) never had a problem.

whoaru99
11-08-2011, 09:29 PM

I should hope the cord doesn't get warm. The small battery tender probably draws maybe a couple tenths of an amp at max output, an typically much less just to maintain the battery. The typical el-cheapo orange 16ga extension cord is probably rated for 10 amps, maybe a bit more. A safety factor, for lack of better terms, of ~50X worst case maybe 100 - 200X best case.

CRUISERDON
11-11-2011, 02:26 PM
A battery tender or SMART CHARGER does not need a timer and will not harm battery if left on 24x7. Unlinke the older style trickle chargers, the tenders use a pulsing charge that breaks down sulphate and peaks the battery's charge. It won't cook the battery, and, with the low draw output needs the time element to do its majic with older batteries. If using the trickle charger a timer is needed to prevent over chargine and cooking of the plates.

mdsimon80
11-13-2011, 10:15 AM
I have that very same battery tender and it is constantly connected to the bike when it is not being ridden. It has always been powered by an outdoors type extension cord. Going on one year, no problems.

at-home-daddy
11-13-2011, 11:23 AM
A battery tender or SMART CHARGER does not need a timer and will not harm battery if left on 24x7. Unlinke the older style trickle chargers, the tenders use a pulsing charge that breaks down sulphate and peaks the battery's charge. It won't cook the battery, and, with the low draw output needs the time element to do its majic with older batteries. If using the trickle charger a timer is needed to prevent over chargine and cooking of the plates.

Oh, you bet -- that's exactly why I went with the Tender: the ability to plug it in and forget it.

Thanks again, everyone, for confirmation that the three-prong cord works just fine...I've set time aside today to get it set up (the bike's parking usual spot (the one not in front of my wife's car) and the outlet are unfortunately not very near each other, so I have to tape down the cord along the floor edge).