Noise in Vulcan Classic 1600 [Archive] - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

: Noise in Vulcan Classic 1600

Zork007
04-21-2009, 07:57 AM
Have a 2008 Classic with 5K miles on it. Just changed the oil and cleaned the oil screen. Out for a ride and heard a noise coming from what appeared to be the transmission - front of the bike. As you idle up the engine, the noise correlates with the RPMs - gets louder. Sounds like bearings, or even not enough oil in the crankcase - kind of a sack of marbles type noise. Reviewed my oil change and check all exterior parts, nothing. Its not as loud when cold but as the engine gets warm, noise is louder. Don't remember hearing this in the past. Any ideas?

cruznut6
04-21-2009, 10:49 PM
What weight/grade oil did you use and how many quarts did you add?

dellwood33
04-22-2009, 04:11 AM
Just did the oil/filter change on my 1600 Classic & the noise engine is quieter if anything.
3.3 US quarts of 10/40 synthetic is what I used.

Zork007
04-22-2009, 06:56 AM
Cruznut6,

I used Castrol GTX 10W 40 petroleum based, 3.3 quarts w/filter change, per the book. I have used petroleum based oils in the past, with no problems. I did pull out the oil screen where perhaps a few oz. of oil came out as well.

However, the oil level is within range. The noise does sound like there is not enough oil in the machine, but the oil window says otherwise. I plan to take to the dealer this weekend and have them look at it.

Question, does the transmission use the same engine oil for lubrication as the engine itself? I was told that it does.

PS, the bike has run great with no problems, even with the noise. There is no oil light on or any other lights on the dash.

Zork007
04-22-2009, 06:59 AM
Dellwood33,

Did you have the same noise I am talking about? If so, what difference does synthetic oil make? I don't remember this noise with other petroleum based oils I've used. Maybe that's the problem. What if you go from synthetic to petroleum based? Does this make a difference? I bought the bike from a private owner and he may have used synthetic. I have been using petroleum based.

dellwood33
04-22-2009, 12:23 PM
Since changing from the original Dino Oil from the dealer, the bike does seem quieter, not that I found it incredibly noisy before. I have noticed that the gear changing is a bit less clunky with the synthetic. I ran my GL1800 on synthetic and my ST1300 is currently using it as well - both had improved gear changing IMHO.
All of these bikes run a wet clutch and I have had no problems with the clutch on any of them.

I gather you mean the gearbox - this uses the engine oil.
The Diff uses Hypoid 80 and is filled seperately.

Zork007
04-22-2009, 12:34 PM
Dellwood33

yeah, I meant the gear box. What type of synthetic do you use - brand?

dellwood33
04-22-2009, 12:41 PM
Engine oil takes care of the gearbox.
The oil I use is what I get from Hein Gerricke - its a German company and I doubt if you get it in the USA.
Some friends of mine in the US use Amsoil and they rave about it - I can't get it in the UK so I can't comment. Others use Mobil 1 - I do notice that Oil gets a lot od forum time and people tend to get really excited about it. I like to stay with what I know - If its not bust why try to fix it.:)

cruznut6
04-22-2009, 11:20 PM
The debate over dino vs. synthetic gets lot's of attention on most forums. I think the bottom line is to use the correct viscosity and keep it clean. Sythetic oil will maintain it's viscosity better over a large range of temperatures. I've read numerous posts where synthetic oil will "quiet" noisy tranny's and engine noises. Personally, I've used only dino oil in every bike I've owned ( over 40 years worth!) and never had an issue. Vulcan's can certainly be noisy, so it might be worth it to you to switch to the syn oils. BTW, you can check your oil level at the "sight glass" on the right side of the tranny, but it's a real pain to do without a mirror or someone to help keep the bike level.

Zork007
04-23-2009, 09:05 AM
Thanks to all who responded to my problem. I have the bike scheduled for the 5K checkup and then will use synthetic to measure the difference. Thanks again.

starlifter
05-07-2009, 11:44 AM
So, what was the upshot from your 5K checkup? Any info? Did you switch to synoil? Any difference?

Thanks

kawmagnum
05-10-2009, 10:28 AM
Just purchased a 2007 with 1200 mi. Sounds like marbles in the gear case. Runs fine, but noisy. Can you share the result of your inspection ? Thanks, Bill

kawmagnum
05-10-2009, 02:24 PM
Noise turned out be a bolt missing from one of the baffles- Would only make noise when motor revved or under load.

Missoula Mike
05-10-2009, 10:24 PM
Excellent timing on the synthetic oil discussion. I'm taking mine in tomorrow for its maintenance inspection/oil change and will see about switching over to synthetic oil, especially given the wide range of temperatures we go through here in Montana land. Thanks for the initial query and the various tips! M

T STOCK
05-11-2009, 08:27 AM
Thanks to all who responded to my problem. I have the bike scheduled for the 5K checkup and then will use synthetic to measure the difference. Thanks again.

Hey! Get used to it! These engines are just noisey...they rattle, shake alittle, "huff & puff" alittle, but if you change the oil & filter every 3/4k they'll run forever!! Synthetic seems to ease the condition somewhat..and smoother shifts are a benefit as is running "cooler" in the summer temps. Maintain the bike and you'll get 100k NO SWEAT!!!

cruznut6
05-11-2009, 09:32 AM
Hey! Get used to it! These engines are just noisey...they rattle, shake alittle, "huff & puff" alittle, but if you change the oil & filter every 3/4k they'll run forever!! Synthetic seems to ease the condition somewhat..and smoother shifts are a benefit as is running "cooler" in the summer temps. Maintain the bike and you'll get 100k NO SWEAT!!!

Yep, what T Stock said; if it's a Vulcan, it's gonna be noisy! Some are worse than others:rolleyes: The good news though, is that they're almost "bullet-proof" if you keep-up with the maintenence ;)

Crazy Dave
05-23-2009, 07:00 AM
Yep, what T Stock said; if it's a Vulcan, it's gonna be noisy! Some are worse than others:rolleyes: The good news though, is that they're almost "bullet-proof" if you keep-up with the maintenence ;)

I have the similar noise on my Nomad bike runs fine but the noise kind of freaks me out. I had a ZX1100 Ninja before this and that bike was smooth as silk not to mention crazy fast.This is the first V-Twin I`ve owned so I was`nt sure what to expect Love the bike,not the noise,but if she takes me to see the World and brings me back home time and time again we can deal with it...Oh by the way I had the dealer put synthetic in it still has the noise but not as noticeable, thinking of going to 20W50 next time instead of 10w40,What do you guys or gals think???:eek:

ROGER DODGER
08-16-2009, 04:00 PM
Have a 2008 Classic with 5K miles on it. Just changed the oil and cleaned the oil screen. Out for a ride and heard a noise coming from what appeared to be the transmission - front of the bike. As you idle up the engine, the noise correlates with the RPMs - gets louder. Sounds like bearings, or even not enough oil in the crankcase - kind of a sack of marbles type noise. Reviewed my oil change and check all exterior parts, nothing. Its not as loud when cold but as the engine gets warm, noise is louder. Don't remember hearing this in the past. Any ideas?

so there where missing a bolts on a baffle! wheere exactly does it locate ???

on my vn1600 nomad ,i had a similar noise with the same condition has yours,and .i think i located the origin of that ratle.with the parked motorcycle ,i leaned down at the front of the radiator grill and tap on it with my knuckle... the grill vibrates and makes an ugly ratling noise in planning to glue some thin rubber shims with silicone btwn the grill and radiator frame .....at first i thougth it was coming from the radiator cover but no.....radiator design problem kawa should be aware that we ,customer motorcycle buff, like motor noise, exhaust tunes and the like but we hate rattling noise...especially when the noise come from around our boots! the snake is dead now!

kawmagnum
08-16-2009, 08:54 PM
Should have added that the pipes are Hard Chrome. Bought the bike used with 1200 miles and pipes were on the bike and I don't have the stock pipes. The baffles are removable and bolt was missing from one of the baffles. Sounded like "marbles" in the engine; not from the exhaust. Put on about 2500 miles since and have no rattles or "strange" noises. By the way, I have not noticed anyone mention gear whine on throttle off. My bike sounds like an F-18 in the lower gears on decel. Assume this is normal as I have no other issues. Bill

Amsoil Dealer Group
08-17-2009, 07:58 PM
One thing I have noticed. Not just here, but in all Forums and just in general. People use the terms "Synthetic" as they are "All Alike" and the same with "Petroleum".

Base Stocks and Additives make all the difference in the world.. Even though some oils use a similar base stock by name, there are "Grades" within them and the same for additives. Take a good look at the G-2156 link in our Sig and see where some of these oils stack up and/or fall short.

Hydro-Cracked oils such as Castrol Syntec, Rotella T "Fully" Synthetic, and many others, tout the Synthetic badge only because they can by law.

Although basically, 10W-40 is the same as another 10W-40, there is a scale within the scale.. Oils are actually rated for viscosity using cSt's or Centistokes.. Just for numbers sake, as I am not going to look up the actual numbers, a 40 weight may range from 13 cSt to 17.9 cSt. If it falls at 13.2, it is still a 40 wgt but REAL close to a 30 wgt...

This could account for slight differences in noises. Going to a higher viscosity oil may quiet some noises, but does not necessarily mean you are getting any better protection and in fact causes a loss of fuel mileage, HP and increased oil temps..

pcmikey
09-07-2009, 05:00 AM
zork

I have a 2006 1600 classic and had issues with engine noise. I have done two things: I switched to a lighter grade of oil (castrol synthetic), and I put 8 oz of octane booster in every fillup (hi test). The only noise I get from the engine is the lifters, and this varies with the amount of fuel in the tank(acoustic damping). It is normal, and has become part of the engine music that I love to hear from my ride.

pcmikey

Amsoil Dealer Group
09-07-2009, 10:30 AM
zork

I have a 2006 1600 classic and had issues with engine noise. I have done two things: I switched to a lighter grade of oil (castrol synthetic), and I put 8 oz of octane booster in every fillup (hi test). The only noise I get from the engine is the lifters, and this varies with the amount of fuel in the tank(acoustic damping). It is normal, and has become part of the engine music that I love to hear from my ride.

pcmikey

A lighter viscosity oil will usually make a lifter tick louder. I get some from my cam tensioners but at 38K they are probably getting close to being due to replace.. Maybe next year.. Hope to squeek another 20 K or so out of them.

Bob

t0mays
09-10-2009, 12:19 PM
i use 10-40 royal purple syn. in my 1600classic [ 2003 vintage ] and it definately quieted it down. the tranny shifts both better and more quietly. also changed to royal purple in the diff, and it seems much smoother. the lifter noise has become much less noticeable also.

tweety
06-17-2010, 03:27 AM
I went to Austin, Tx. this weekend for the ROT Ralley bike fest. My bike did wonderful until it was time to come home. While riding on HWY 290 it started sputtering as if it had no fuel, it would not pick up speed, I pulled over to the sholder and the bike cut off. After starting the bike up I heard a tapping in the engine, as if I had thrown a rod. I am puzzeled, I don't know what happened, I checked the oil and anti-freeze before I left to come home. It sounds like I'm going to need a ned engine. I don't ride this bike a lot it is a 2006 with only 4500 miles. Any Ideas?

tweety
06-17-2010, 03:28 AM
Where can I find a new or refurbished engine.

Amsoil Dealer Group
06-17-2010, 07:04 AM
Without tearing it down you are looking for a new engine ?

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob