01 vulcan nomad 1500FI front end wobble help. [Archive] - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

: 01 vulcan nomad 1500FI front end wobble help.

dyetube
06-13-2011, 02:20 PM
I have an 01 Nomad 1500FI and my front end wobbles (and dangerously so) at around 20-40 MPH if I don't keep a firm hold of the handlebars. I took it to the Kawasaki dealer (I needed a new back tire anyways) and after charging me $45 to look at it, they told me my tire was cupping and that was causing the extreme wobble so I needed a new tire. I didn't know what cupping was so I did some research and checked the tire and my tire is definitely not cupping! What things can I check for to figure out why it is wobbling. This is driving (or riding) me crazy! Anyone else have this problem?

winstoncup
06-13-2011, 06:16 PM
Well, no expert here, but if you just bought the bike and had to replace the back tire it is generally a good idea to also replace the front at the same time... this being said, I recall another thread about wobbling and it had to do with the front forks and possible seal or alignment issue... hth.

dyetube
06-13-2011, 06:21 PM
you can see that the front tire is brand new. There's no wear on the tread at all so i know it doesn't need to be replaced. I was thinking maybe the wheel needs to be balanced but it could be the triple tree, bearings, etc... I'll see about checking the forks and seals. Never done that before so I'll have to search on how this is done.

dyetube
06-14-2011, 10:25 AM
Anyone else got any ideas?

Skeeter
06-14-2011, 11:02 AM
Anyone else got any ideas?

Check the rotor, it might be warped. Also, if you can get the front wheel off of the ground check the front tire rotation side to side, up and down. Also check the front wheel bearings for play. Since you have the wheel elevated, check to see if the head bearing have any play and need adjustment.

Also, just because the front tire looks good it could still be a cause for a problem.

Skeeter

dyetube
06-14-2011, 11:31 AM
I'll see if I can get a motorcycle lift. Thanks for the ideas!

Skeeter
06-14-2011, 11:51 AM
I'll see if I can get a motorcycle lift. Thanks for the ideas!

The Nomad is a bit tricky to use on a lift without a adapter, though it can be done. The engine extends below the frame so you will need to shim the lift to get it to sit flat and level. There is a adapter called the Idaho Jack Adapter made by a member on a different forum if you decide to invest in one. The price shipped is $60. http://kawanow.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=forsalewanted&action=display&thread=22057

Also, if you haven't checked out Gadget's yet you should because there is a wealth on knowledge available there. http://www.gadgetjq.com/gadgetsfixitpage.htm#maintenance

There is another forum available beside this one, Kawanow and that is the Delphiforum. If you are not already a member you can sign up for a free membership! http://www.delphiforums.com/
That forum is: Kawasaki Vulcan Riders Forum

Skeeter

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z181/skeeter_X/DSCF0182.jpg?t=1296060305

cjlam
06-14-2011, 01:13 PM
I have the same bike with the same issue. Between 30-34 have a shake. Not as bad as you are describing. I changed both tires, had them balanced and still have the same thing. The only time I notice it is when both hands are off the bars. I am really interested in what you find so please share. I did check the triple tree and wheel bearings and they were good. I am thinking of changing bearings in the steering hub, I was told that there are loose bearings are in there, Mechanic said changing to tapered bearings will improve handeling too. for 250 it is worth a try.

dyetube
06-14-2011, 01:21 PM
I have the same bike with the same issue. Between 30-34 have a shake. Not as bad as you are describing. I changed both tires, had them balanced and still have the same thing. The only time I notice it is when both hands are off the bars. I am really interested in what you find so please share. I did check the triple tree and wheel bearings and they were good. I am thinking of changing bearings in the steering hub, I was told that there are loose bearings are in there, Mechanic said changing to tapered bearings will improve handeling too. for 250 it is worth a try.

have you heard that this is common with this year model nomad? I'll let you know what I find out. A friend also mentioned about the bearings in the steering hub so I am going to check that as well.

Major_Problem
06-14-2011, 04:55 PM
Is the wobble making the wheel go up and down, or is the steer going left and right?

If you have the feeling that the wheel is going up and down, could be the oil in the fork which is to low (no damping capacity) if the steer is going left and right, you can damp it with an auxiliary damper connected between fork and frame. Perhaps extra weights in the steeringbar-ends will lower the frequency.

Just some thoughts which could help to find the problem I hope.

dyetube
06-14-2011, 05:01 PM
Is the wobble making the wheel go up and down, or is the steer going left and right?

If you have the feeling that the wheel is going up and down, could be the oil in the fork which is to low (no damping capacity) if the steer is going left and right, you can damp it with an auxiliary damper connected between fork and frame. Perhaps extra weights in the steeringbar-ends will lower the frequency.

Just some thoughts which could help to find the problem I hope.

It's left to right and is quite annoying!

Hexlobular
06-14-2011, 06:40 PM
There is obviously something wrong with the setup, and adding weight is only masking the root cause. Have the tire and wheel checked out. Check your fork seals and fluid levels. Check out the steering head bearings for wear and make sure everything is at the proper torque. If you've got head shake with stock components, something has worn out.

rnnr420
06-20-2011, 07:06 PM
I have an 01 Nomad 1500FI and my front end wobbles (and dangerously so) at around 20-40 MPH if I don't keep a firm hold of the handlebars.

I had this problem on my Suzuki Vee Strom (duel sport). On decel with out my hands on bars would wobble, at 20-40mph.
Mine ended up being my brand new front tire. I changed my tires back to stock dunlops and good to go.
I do know that sometime if the head bearing on your steering is loose you can get a decel wobble. When I talked to the suzuki guys they said, "don't take your hands off the handle bars". Nice answer right.

dyetube
06-25-2011, 12:40 PM
I had this problem on my Suzuki Vee Strom (duel sport). On decel with out my hands on bars would wobble, at 20-40mph.
Mine ended up being my brand new front tire. I changed my tires back to stock dunlops and good to go.
I do know that sometime if the head bearing on your steering is loose you can get a decel wobble. When I talked to the suzuki guys they said, "don't take your hands off the handle bars". Nice answer right.

Turned out, my wobble WAS caused by the front tire. I just had a new one put on yesterday and the wobble is completely gone. It rides so much better now.

cjlam
06-28-2011, 02:13 PM
Hey guys, and girls if applicable. I raised the tire Pressure from 28 (MOM recommendation) to 35. Wobble seems to be ALOT better... Just saying it worked for me...

PatC
06-28-2011, 06:27 PM
Hey guys, and girls if applicable. I raised the tire Pressure from 28 (MOM recommendation) to 35. Wobble seems to be ALOT better... Just saying it worked for me...

Most guys here (including me) seem to run their tires at 38-40 psi front and 40 rear.