RACNRAY's THROTTLE MOD FOR THE 1700 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

RACNRAY's THROTTLE MOD FOR THE 1700

I bought my Vaquero in April 2011. In the first few hundred miles I came to believe there was a mismatch between the amount of throttle I was applying and the engine's response, or I should say the lack of. At that time I had over 35 1/2 years working on skoots for a living and this was the first in that time period that I was experiencing this "lag". At first I attributed it to a tight engine during the breakin period, but even after that first 1000 miles and really gettin onto the throttle my observation remained...too much throttle and not enough get-up-n-go!

During my first dyno session on my skoot it was on the agenda to address this problem. Inspection of throttle plate opening vs throttle grip rotation revealed not only a very slow rate of opening, but also the amount of opening did not match grip rotation.

These skoots being ride by wire I knew that Kawi had programmed a reduction in throttle plate opening. Not good and certainly not acceptable to me.

What followed was a modification I made to the throttle which alters the signal the ECU recieves thus altering the signal it sends to the throttle plate servo motor.

WALA...an instant improvement in throttle response with less grip rotation, this was noticed with the skoot stationary in neutral.

The real tests were to come. Before the mod was done I performed part throttle dyno runs to document the power and torque at a specific part throttle position. Follow up runs were done with the grip in the EXACT position
and this is where we see the advantage of increased throttle plate opening.

Here is the dyno graph showing stock vs my throttle mod...

The difference is simply due to the larger amount and quicker opening of the throttle plates. The real test was gettin on the skoot for a test ride. That is where this mod had me finally very glad I bought this Vulcan!

Now for the "if you want to know more" part!!

I have been performing this mod for 1700 owners since about September 2011and it has been recieved very well. The mod is applicable to all years and models of the 1700. The mod can be performed on your grip as long as you are going to be using that grip, as my mod is permanent. Modifying you grip that has an OEM equivalent inner throttle tube is $59.00 with same day service. If you send me a Avon throttle grip there is an extra $10.00 charge to clean up the throttle tube for proper installation of my mod.

I also keep in stock both KURYAKYN ISO GRIPS and AVON AIR CUSHION GRIPS already modified and ready to be shipped. Both grips are available in CHROME or BLACK.

Cost for modified KURYAKYN or AVON grips is $135.00

I can also special order heated Avon grips and other brands of grips of your choice and perform the mod before I ship them. Contact me for your specific needs and I will provide a quote at that time.

I ship via USPS and shipping/insurance charges are extra. I also ship out of the country wherever UPS delivers to, purchaser is responsible for all duty and whatever other charges that are incurred.

I also offer drive in/drive out while you wait service for anyone that comes to my shop. There is a small labor charge for this service, call to make an appointment.

Full instructions are included.

If you have any questions do not hesitate to respond here, send me a pm, an email or call me at the shop. You can also search in the 1700 forum under RACNRAY's throttle mod and similar headings to read what users of my mod has to say.

THANX

RACNRAY SOUCHET
PRESIDENT
CYCLE RACE TEK,INC
400 ANSIN BLVD
SUITE B
HALLANDALE BEACH FL
PH 954-455-9665
EMAIL...cycleracetekinc@bellsouth.net

"TRUE HAPPINESS IS IN THE HEART,NOT IN THE OUTSIDE FIXES!!"
WITH OVER 39 YEARS AS A MOTORCYCLE TECHNICIAN/HI-PO SHOP OWNER I AM A PURVEYOR OF FACT NOT FICTION!
"WE LIVE OUR LIVES IN CHAINS NEVER KNOWING WE HAD THE KEY"

Last edited by RACNRAY; 05-22-2015 at 09:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 12:43 PM

I know what you speak of. I recently added the cobra power tuner Fi2000R and cobra speedster exhaust. Besides the better, louder, deeper note of the speedster exhaust I also noticed the throttle response was improved thanks to the Fi2000R power tuner which is a CVT tuner.

I wanted to see a comparison of the before, so I watched one of my videos from last summer and could hear the lag which is a brief lag upon giving it throttle. With the Fi2000R installed this lag is no longer present. The difference in improvement is quite noticeable when I had the Vulcan on the lift and running. The engine feels and sounds much more responsive upon giving it throttle now. so much of a difference I can feel the power. I'm not 100% sure if the Fi2000R is allowing by pass of the ECU restrictive setting on the TB plates, or it is just the finely tuned air/fuel ratio that is now present, but I do know that there used to be this some what annoying brief lag in the throttle which is now gone.

So with your mod, I'm taking you have came across of some sort of fix/by pass which renders the ECU's somewhat restrictive factory setting to now be useless thus getting rid of the lag with this fix of yours?

And with this fix, does it have any adverse effects of any kind if you do not run some sort of programmer, whether it be the cobra power tuner, or a traditional type of tuner that requires dyno tune?

2011 VN1700 Classic.
Cobra Speedsters
Cobra Fi2000 PowrPro Tune
K&N Air Filter
Mustang Sport Touring Seat - Studded
Slipstreamer Stealth Windshield
Kawasaki Engine Cover Trim
Sissy Bar Studded Backrest & Luggage Rack
Kuryakyn ISO Deluxe Brake Pedal Pad
Kuryakyn Flamed Floorboard Cover
Kuryakyn Adjustable Cruise Peg
Kuryakyn ISO Large Male Mount Pegs
6,000K Xenon HID Kit
Carroll Leather Saddlebags
Wolo Bad Boy horn

Last edited by Kaz71; 03-02-2014 at 02:34 AM. Reason: typo.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 09:30 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz71 View Post
. . . . . . . I recently added the cobra power tuner Fi2000R and cobra speedster exhaust. . . . . . . . . . I also noticed the throttle response was improved thatnks to the Fi2000R power tuner which is a CVT tuner.

. . . . . . . . . . With the Fi2000R installed this lag is no longer present. . . . . . . . . . .

So with your mod, I'm taking you have came across of some sort of fix/by pass which renders the ECU's somewhat restrictive factory setting to now be useless thus getting rid of the lag with this fix of yours?

And with this fix, does it have any adverse effects of any kind if you do not run some sort of programmer, whether it be the cobra power tuner, or a traditional type of tuner that requires dyno tune?
Ray's fix is an aluminum band installed in the grip, that gives the throttle cable wrap a wider circumference. So the TBW receives more voltage with less twist. (The 1700s are a mutant TBW in that they still have a cable). And no it does not hamper any added tuner. I have Ray's grip and a PCV.

If your Cobra is eliminating the throttle plate open lag, it must be (somehow) raising the voltage advance ratio going to the TBW per twist of the throttle.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_W_B View Post
Ray's fix is an aluminum band installed in the grip, that gives the throttle cable wrap a wider circumference. So the TBW receives more voltage with less twist. (The 1700s are a mutant TBW in that they still have a cable). And no it does not hamper any added tuner. I have Ray's grip and a PCV.

If your Cobra is eliminating the throttle plate open lag, it must be (somehow) raising the voltage advance ratio going to the TBW per twist of the throttle.
Possibly, or it is either by passing the setting or correcting the setting. There is definately an improvement now for me which was noticeable. It seems his throttle fix is a mechanical "less expensive" fix, and mine is a digital "more expensive fix" when it comes to getting rid of that lag in the throttle.

Other thoughts were.. Since the Fi2000R is constantly monitoring the throttle response 80 times per second to give you the best air/fuel ratio mix, then this lag spot I have experienced since day one (brought home from the dealer brand new) perhaps it was some sort of nanny that has been over ridden or the ecu setting that was not quite set to an optimal type of setting is now running optimal now.

2011 VN1700 Classic.
Cobra Speedsters
K&N Air Filter
6,000K Xenon HID Kit
Wolo Bad Boy horn
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 08:28 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Possibly, or it is either by passing the setting or correcting the setting. There is definately an improvement now for me which was noticeable. It seems his throttle fix is a mechanical "less expensive" fix, and mine is a digital "more expensive fix" when it comes to getting rid of that lag in the throttle.

Other thoughts were.. Since the Fi2000R is constantly monitoring the throttle response 80 times per second to give you the best air/fuel ratio mix, then this lag spot I have experienced since day one (brought home from the dealer brand new) perhaps it was some sort of nanny that has been over ridden or the ecu setting that was not quite set to an optimal type of setting is now running optimal now.
I can override the air/fuel and ignition with my PCV, but it's only hooked to the TPS sensor wire so it can monitor the Throttle position. I can zero it (on the PCV) to match the voltage coming down the line at idle, but that's it. None of this can physically change the physical opening of the throttle plates to let more air in. While I can improve throttle response with Fuel and Ignition settings, the only way I can eliminate the physical plate lag is with Ray's ratio increased cable wrap.

Look at the wiring specs for your Cobra for clues, I suspect it would have to intercept the wiring going to the Throttle Solenoid, attached down on the throttle body. Otherwise I don't see how it could alter the plate position.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_W_B View Post
I can override the air/fuel and ignition with my PCV, but it's only hooked to the TPS sensor wire so it can monitor the Throttle position. I can zero it (on the PCV) to match the voltage coming down the line at idle, but that's it. None of this can physically change the physical opening of the throttle plates to let more air in. While I can improve throttle response with Fuel and Ignition settings, the only way I can eliminate the physical plate lag is with Ray's ratio increased cable wrap.

Look at the wiring specs for your Cobra for clues, I suspect it would have to intercept the wiring going to the Throttle Solenoid, attached down on the throttle body. Otherwise I don't see how it could alter the plate position.
Yes it does plug into the throttle solenoid on the TB. So it is either correcting or preventing the ECU setting (which is a good thing).

I can't find anything from Cobra going into detail about the TB. I believe the solenoid to the TB is just a sensor to monitor the TB's after hooking up the lead from the Cobra PowrPro Tune..the plug ending gave it away after seeing it after I took the unit out of the box. The info Cobra provides is about how it constantly monitors the air/fuel in every gear everytime the throttle is turned. The only other info I know is the Cobra PowrPro Tune is designed for specific brands and models. So in conclusion, I think it does everything a traditional tune does without the need to be tuned on a dyno (that's the plus of it) being an auto tune with CVT.

2011 VN1700 Classic.
Cobra Speedsters
K&N Air Filter
6,000K Xenon HID Kit
Wolo Bad Boy horn

Last edited by Kaz71; 03-02-2014 at 09:10 AM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 09:18 AM

Or is it Ray's mod now causes the plates to open up more, to allow more air in? I recall when having the cover off and cleaning the TB's, there was hesitance when using the throttle to open up the TB's. I assumed this might of been because the engine was off and no voltage was going to the TB when it is off.
I think I remember when I first gave it throttle, the TB's didn't start to open until after a certain amount of throttle was applied and then when full throttle was applied the TB's I think didn't exactly open fully were they were flat. I would have to take cover off again and try it to jog my memory about it.

So Rays mod then allows TB plates to open up more?

This short video I came across on youtube is an example of hearing the lag after the throttle is applied.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNGyRXwhq50

This is exactly what my VN1700 sounded like before the Cobra PowrPro Tuner install.
Is this also what Ray's mod does?

2011 VN1700 Classic.
Cobra Speedsters
K&N Air Filter
6,000K Xenon HID Kit
Wolo Bad Boy horn

Last edited by Kaz71; 03-02-2014 at 09:29 AM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 09:32 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Yes it does plug into the throttle solenoid on the TB. So it is either correcting or preventing the ECU setting (which is a good thing). . . . . . . ..
This is very promising and adds another good thing to what I've heard about the newer Cobra tuner. This would indeed be able to move the throttle plate. I will have to check this out if my PCV ever fails.

Quote:
Or is it Ray's mod now causes the plates to open up more, to allow more air in? I recall when having the cover off and cleaning the TB's, there was hesitance when using the throttle to open up the TB's. I assumed this might of been because the engine was off and no voltage was going to the TB when it is off.
I think I remember when I first gave it throttle, the TB's didn't start to open until after a certain amount of throttle was applied and then when full throttle was applied the TB's I think didn't exactly open fully were they were flat. I would have to take cover off again and try it to jog my memory about it.

So Rays mod then allows TB plates to open up more?
You kinda lost me on this post. Not sure exactly what you are saying. The throttle plates won't move with the power off since it's TBW. But yes Ray's grip mod causes the throttle plate cable cam to turn more aggressively (due to the cable winding up faster). This in turn tricks the ECU into thinking you have physically twisted the grip more than you actually did. Therefore the ECU finally gets it's head out of it's ass and sends more voltage to the throttle plate solenoid to open the plates.

Kawa calls this OEM engineered lag an improvement to "smooth" out acceleration. I call it the worst foo-bar Kawa has ever come out with.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Fully stocked!!!

I have Kuryakyn ISO grips in chrome or black and Avon Air Cushion AND Custom Contour grips in stock and ready to ship.

The Avon Custom Contour has started to become popular for those who like a straighter grip profile and one that looks more like the stock grips.

All these grips are $139.00 pair plus the shipping/insurance. If ordered before 12 noon they will ship that same day.

THANX
RACNRAY

"TRUE HAPPINESS IS IN THE HEART,NOT IN THE OUTSIDE FIXES!!"
WITH OVER 39 YEARS AS A MOTORCYCLE TECHNICIAN/HI-PO SHOP OWNER I AM A PURVEYOR OF FACT NOT FICTION!
"WE LIVE OUR LIVES IN CHAINS NEVER KNOWING WE HAD THE KEY"
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 06:46 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: white/grey
I have heard a lot about your mod I have tried getting it before but at the time you were not expediting to Canada. This time I hope that I will be able to get the mod. Did not feel the need on the 1700 Classic LT but there is something different on the voyager I almost dropped the bike twice because it won't response to the twice on the throttle when i expect it.

Kickstand
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode