Paducah, Ky Destination - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Paducah, Ky Destination

My best friend wants to meet me there. This is half way between where we both live.

I've been riding almost 2 years and never had a road trip. This will be almost a 400 mile trip one way.

I am clueless about Paducah and the surrounding area and would like any ideas or suggestions about the city or anything to do with this being my first real ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 04:26 PM
Top Contributor

GO to the Old Downtown area and look at the old floodwalls (right along the river). Have been painted in murals with the history of Paducha. Extremely well done.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 04:30 PM
Lifetime Premium

You'll likely be tired of riding, but if not, it isn't far (toward Nashville) to Land Between the Lakes, better known as LBL around here. Beautiful in-the-country ride, stop by and say "Hi!" to the bison for me.

Jerry "Old Bear" Barker
Clarksville, TN
Americas Guardians PS MC
Tennessee 16-A Chapter
"Black Magic" 2011 Vaquero

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

I can ride a couple of hours around home and I'm worn out. So, I have two changes I need to make. I need a seat with backrest and I need to change my wife's mind.

I've always ridden this bike as a toy that gives me pleasure for a little while and then go home. Many times once I get home and stand up, I'm reminded of my age. My body is aching, ears ringing, and pressure in my head.

This has got to be figured out for me to make a 6 hr ride. Changing wifey's mind will happen because the guy I'm meeting is my best friend. She was friends with his wife before I knew her. Wife wants me to trailer the bike for the trip. I told her that was defeating the point of having a bike. Sheesh!

I know the 900 is not a glide or a gold wing but very capable of making these trips. I'm the older guy that wanted to have a bike and now I get to do something I've never done before and looking forward to it.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 04:23 PM

Rode down to Paducah about 3 weeks ago or so just to pick up some small parts. Nice ride on the state roads no matter which way you go to get there. Take your time and look around a bit. Hopefully it will be warmer when you take your trip. Was in the low 40s for me most of the ride but it was still enjoyable. Was about 6 hours round trip for me the way I went. Would be about 4 or so on bigger roads but that's no fun. Kinda like being the last dog on the dog sled team. The view just doesn't change that much.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 06:04 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daboo311 View Post
I can ride a couple of hours around home and I'm worn out. So, I have two changes I need to make. I need a seat with backrest and I need to change my wife's mind.
I can see half of that happening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daboo311 View Post
I've always ridden this bike as a toy that gives me pleasure for a little while and then go home. Many times once I get home and stand up, I'm reminded of my age. My body is aching, ears ringing, and pressure in my head.

This has got to be figured out for me to make a 6 hr ride. Changing wifey's mind will happen because the guy I'm meeting is my best friend. She was friends with his wife before I knew her. Wife wants me to trailer the bike for the trip. I told her that was defeating the point of having a bike. Sheesh!

I know the 900 is not a glide or a gold wing but very capable of making these trips. I'm the older guy that wanted to have a bike and now I get to do something I've never done before and looking forward to it.
First off, get some quality ear plugs. Reducing the noise will help a lot. The constant drone of the wind and road noise wears you down. Second, if you don't have a windshield, please get one. You will be amazed at what a difference blocking the wind will do. If you can afford it, get cordless headsets. If she is going to follow you in the car, Sena makes a cordless headset for "no-helmet" wear. And there is no shame in caging! I understand the desire for making the trip on two wheels, but if you are so exhausted when you get there that you don't enjoy time with your friend, you sort of shot the purpose of the trip. Bottom line, don't ride outside your limitations, and only you know what those are. Ride safe, so you can ride another day!
Greyhound95 likes this.

Jerry "Old Bear" Barker
Clarksville, TN
Americas Guardians PS MC
Tennessee 16-A Chapter
"Black Magic" 2011 Vaquero
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Quote:
Nice ride on the state roads no matter which way you go
This is good to know.

Quote:
quality ear plugs
use foam plugs... they are excellent!

Quote:
windshield, please get one
just got my replacement 19 inch

Quote:
get cordless headsets
just got some cordless plugs and listen to music... great at 60 not so around 70 with vibration.

Quote:
Bottom line, don't ride outside your limitations,
don't know what they are yet and sure this trip will show me.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

I rode a hundred miles today and stopped once for about 15 mins.

The last few minutes of my ride, I was ready to get off. I'm sure that on a longer trip, I could just take a break.

I plan to take a 10 minute break about every hour or so. Not gonna be in a hurry!

I put my saddle bags on the other day for the first time and did not tie them very well due to crappy straps. I can't figure out how to make them work which is a stupid design. Bags should be made with simple straps that a 4 year old could handle. I'm going to buy some and tie them boys down my way.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 12:45 PM

Don't let the anxiety get to you.
I remember back in High school when I took a Sr. trip to current river in Mo. from Paducah Ky. The worrying about it was much worse than the ride, which by the way, got me hooked. The more you ride the more riding positions you will find. I have been blessed to be able to ride on vacations for about the last 7 years. I started with the Deal's Gap run (about 400mi from home).
and have done as many as 1100 miles in a day. I can't get enough.
when riding try pushing up on you boards and lifting your rear off of the seat. stay that way for a minute or so. sometimes it's like starting over again with no pain or discomfort. other times it's simply time to stop and stretch out.

Good luck and see you in paducah??
JimmY D
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd1 View Post
Don't let the anxiety get to you.
I remember back in High school when I took a Sr. trip to current river in Mo. from Paducah Ky. The worrying about it was much worse than the ride, which by the way, got me hooked. The more you ride the more riding positions you will find. I have been blessed to be able to ride on vacations for about the last 7 years. I started with the Deal's Gap run (about 400mi from home).
and have done as many as 1100 miles in a day. I can't get enough.
when riding try pushing up on you boards and lifting your rear off of the seat. stay that way for a minute or so. sometimes it's like starting over again with no pain or discomfort. other times it's simply time to stop and stretch out.

Good luck and see you in paducah??
JimmY D
Good advice! How'd you know I was anxious...

I do not have boards only stock pegs. Will see if I can find some extras for stretching out some. I'm also thinking about adding a seat cushion. I expect I'll strap an extra bag directly behind me and figure this could be support for leaning back on.

I'm almost afraid I'll get addicted to the trip and get even more anxious later to do more of them. I've been a solo rider for almost 2 years now. No buddies or two-ups rides yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode