Riser insstall question - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Location: Crescent City Fl formerly Key West Fl -Formerly Detroit - Formerly Canada
Year/Make/Model: 2012 Vulcan Classic
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Dark Burgundy metal flake
Riser insstall question

I bought these risers for my Vulcan 900 :
Custom Chrome 1" Handlebar 3.5" Risers For Kawasaki Vulcan Classic Custom 900 | eBay
And I knew when I bought it that they did not include the bolts that go thru the triple tree to the risers. No problem, or so I thought. The correct size bolt that will fit into the riser is to big to fit thru the hole in the triple tree. On the oem part the bolt goes thru the riser and comes out on the bottom of the triple tree bracket and is attached by a nut. On the new risers the bolt would have go up in reverse. Starting under the bracket feeding into the riser.
Out side of returning the risers any ideas on how to make these work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 08:46 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Voyager
I went thru a similar situation several years ago. And I ended up buying studs that were different sizes on each end. I don't recall specific part #'s but the 1/2" coarse thread used on your new risers is the same as what Harleys use. So I'd try searching for stud kits that allow HD risers to be used on your bike.
Hope that helps.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Location: Crescent City Fl formerly Key West Fl -Formerly Detroit - Formerly Canada
Thanks D-Dub I'll check into that. I'll probably have to go to a dealer and find out the measurements of the handlebar holder bolt. The service manual just gives the name and torque number. With that info and the riser in hand find a real store ( instead of on line) and get the correct stud
D-Dub likes this.

Last edited by reggae5; 11-12-2016 at 09:37 PM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Urrrgghh no luck so far tracking down what I need. Any chance someone here knows what the spec's are for that bolt that goes up thru the triple tree?
Just after I posted this I found this link
http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/sh...BP-B7101255PZ8
That might be what I am looking for hopefully

Last edited by reggae5; 11-17-2016 at 07:33 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 09:32 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: '05
Displacement/CC's: 800
Garage
does Crescent City there have an industrial parts store? if yes then go there with your riser in hand and 1st determine the inside bolt thread size, is the riser standard or metric?

Thunder Mfg teardrop 40's K&N 170MJ 48PJ 2.75turns DynoJet Needle DNO106 2nd notch V&H Cruzers Aeromach risers Michelin Commander IIs Shell Rotella 5w40 Wix 51358 17T/40 Sprockets
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 09:39 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
ok I clicked on that link you posted and that bolt is not really what you need, don't buy that kind, look for a Socket Head Cap Screw Metric Allen Bolt (if the riser thread is metric)

Thunder Mfg teardrop 40's K&N 170MJ 48PJ 2.75turns DynoJet Needle DNO106 2nd notch V&H Cruzers Aeromach risers Michelin Commander IIs Shell Rotella 5w40 Wix 51358 17T/40 Sprockets
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 09:43 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
by the way, watch those grades on bolts, in that link that bolt is a grade 8.8 which is a weak grade

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 09:52 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
what you will need to do is determine 1st the hole size thru your bikes triple tree, also the triple tree thickness, then the riser thread size, and thread depth, if its standard or metric threads, then the inside riser thread depth to bottom out, then add up that thread depth plus triple tree thickness less 1/8" and that's your allen socket head bolt length, but very 1st thing to determine is if you are working with standard sizes or metric sizes

Edit: on 2nd thought, less 1/8" might be too tight, better increase that a bit so when tightening down the bolt on your riser the bolt does not bottom out inside the riser too soon
reggae5 likes this.

Last edited by btom; 11-18-2016 at 09:56 AM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 02:19 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Those look like the same risers I put on my '09 VN900.

The risers link describes the thread as 1/2-13.
The "show chrome" studs you link to describe the threads as M10 & M12. I don't think these will work.

I used this Baron kit: Baron Custom Accessories Riser Mounting Kit - Kawasaki
The Baron kit has a 1/2-13 thread end to fit the risers and a shoulder and M10 thread that is sized to fit through the triple tree.

Scott
DeputyLoud and D-Dub like this.

2012 Voyager 1700 ---SOLD
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2014 FJR1300A
Deep Red Metallic

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 10:19 AM
Living The Dream

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_in_TX View Post
Those look like the same risers I put on my '09 VN900.

The risers link describes the thread as 1/2-13.
The "show chrome" studs you link to describe the threads as M10 & M12. I don't think these will work.

I used this Baron kit: Baron Custom Accessories Riser Mounting Kit - Kawasaki
The Baron kit has a 1/2-13 thread end to fit the risers and a shoulder and M10 thread that is sized to fit through the triple tree.

Scott
I used the same adapter stud. Like this: Harley Riser Handlebar Bolt Adapter Kawasaki Vulcan 800 900 1500 1600 Meanstreak | eBay OP: Please confirm this will work for you. Just an example. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Loving My Mid-Life Crisis!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
1991 Harley Electra Glide Classic FLHTC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode