June 2016 Bike Of The Month entry thread! - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 12Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Honda Goldwing Level3
Displacement/CC's: 1800
Color: Pearl White
Garage
June 2016 Bike Of The Month entry thread!

Please post your bikes here to be entered in this month's Bike of the Month contest!

To enter your Vulcan, all you need to do is tell us a little about it, and post some photo(s). And don't forget the story behind the bike because that can often turn the trick!

The winner for each round will be chosen by our members' votes! A new voting thread will be created near the end of the month.

Year:
Model:
Eng size:
Pipes:
Seat:
Wheels:
Accessories:
And the story:

As long as you haven't won in the past year you can enter again.

Please post your entries in the active month's thread. That thread will be closed at the end of the month. We'll start a poll with that month's entries and the winner will be named and have their bike featured on the home page.

You must have accumulated 15 posts in order to enter a bike, or to discuss the bikes, or to vote. You will be able to view the bikes, but not discuss them, vote on them, or enter your own until you have accumulated 15 posts. This is the same number of posts that has been required in the past to vote for BOTM.

Please note; You may be disqualified if you 'rally votes' from other members. This can include sending private messages asking for votes, posting new threads asking for forum members to vote for you, etc.

Please be respectful when discussing other members bikes. You may also be disqualified for unsportsman-like comments about other bikes, which can include insults, demeaning comments, or demanding in open forums or PM's that others not vote for them or that they be disqualified. If you have a legitimate concern that someone is not competing fairly and should not be considered for voting, PM a moderator.
goatar likes this.

Jeff, Twin Cities, MN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please add your bike info to your profile (User CP>top right>edit your details. If mobile,exit enhanced mobile view)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 10:57 PM
Premium Member
BOTM Winner
June 2016

Year: 2015
Model: Kawasaki Vulcan S
Eng size: 650
Pipes: Delkevic
Seat: stock
Wheels: stock, de-striped
Accessories: see list below
And the story:

After many years of digging motorcycles (but being scared off of them by my dad at an early age), I finally married a Norwegian who had ridden for years and wanted to start again after a long hiatus. I was into working on hotrod trucks, but had always appreciated motorcycles for the relative ease of customizing them and the many available affordable options by comparison. We went to the Kawasaki dealership to look for her a bike and possibly me one at some point in the future and ended up getting a used 2010 Honda fury for her. I sat on a Vulcan S and they obviously saw my enthusiasm to start riding, so they threw in a free helmet for me. Ha, they new what they were doing! It weighed on me so heavily that I went back that weekend bought that motorcycle with 0.7 miles on the odometer. I never even test-drove it; she had to drive it home since she was the one that had her endorsement!

That was last October. I started with a stock photo and began to draw up a plan with everything I wanted to do. Every idea I had, I put down on that page. A few ideas ended up left off because it was a little overkill, but I stuck very closely to my ideas based on my own inspiration and what I had seen on other motorcycles that struck me as cool.

Since I'm former military (E7 Army MLRS in Desert Storm, 1991), I wanted to go with a military look because it's kind of universal, and I wanted to do as much as I could on my own with what I had or acquired on my own (military thinking). The only part I was a little hesitant on was paint seeing as how I'm not a painter, but I tackled it regardless, in the garage. The only work I had to farm out was welding the glass pack to the header....a job I didn't want to scrimp on and pay a big price on later when it fell off on the highway =). If the paint ended up wearing or flaking or scratching....well....military vehicles get beat up and it only enhances the look

In all, the list is:

*Nautilus air horn
*Yellowed tire lettering (NASACAR style)
*Relocated axle license plate with LED lights
*Harley Davidson style LED brake light
*Relocated or shortened smoked bullet turn signals, front and rear
*Delkevic header wrapped in black header wrap
*17" Jones Exhaust glass pack
*New relocated end mirrors, staggered (one has better vision, but the other shakes less)
*Ammo can saddle bags (Fat 50 cal) using Harley Davidson mounts, Locks installed
*OD military green painted fenders, tank, and accent pieces
*Military star emblem decal (the only decal because I couldn't paint a star that would come out that nice)
*Spitfire windshield with bar clamps
*Relocated reflectors
*Debadged bike of original striping and emblems (mostly done through paint)
*Radiator grill guard, trimmed and painted

The things I ended up leaving off was tiger shark WWII graphics on the tank and 'VULCAN S' lettering painted on the swingarm. I mocked up the lettering with military lettered decals and it was almost cheap looking. The tank graphics would have simply been overkill. If I get a second bike, maybe I'll go that direction. There are a couple other things I added and left off (like the headlight....ended up digging the way it looked after paint), but I pretty much tried to stick with the plan.

For it being my first bike, it is amazing. I scared myself a little when I ripped out of first into second and didn't expect such a strong pull! It's loud and rowdy but next to my wife's bike, it's par for noise (with her 1300 and Cobra pipes). It's a great lightweight bike that is excellent for learning. Nobody can tell what it is (unless they can identify the headlight) and with the pipes, they have no idea it's such a small engine'd motorcycle.

And now, start to finish. Roughly. I have a total of 470 miles on the bike and I'm finished with the modifying....just in time for summer riding =). This is my first bike and yes, I bought it new. They say don't buy new but hey, I wanted good reliability my first time out....not somebody else's headaches.

Last edited by badkelly; 06-05-2016 at 12:20 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 08:38 PM
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012

Garage
Very well written badkelly.

And very nice job on the bike. It turned out really nice.
Headstill and badkelly like this.

Yes, I'm a Chrome Whore.

2004 Vulcan 2000

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 11:42 AM
BOTM Winner
October 2015

Year/Make/Model: Classic
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red / Silver
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by badkelly View Post
Y....

After many years of digging motorcycles (but being scared off of them by my dad at an early age), I finally married a Norwegian who had ridden for years and wanted to start again after a long hiatus.

Great story. It looks fantastic.
badkelly likes this.

Go ride? NW Chicago suburbs

Vulcan VN1700 LT
"Metallic Imperial Red / Metallic Titanium"
VBA Member 2908
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 11:24 PM
BOTM Winner
March 2016

Year/Make/Model: 2015
Displacement/CC's: 650
Color: Blue
Best side cases ever! Really love your concept and execution! Awesome! Enjoy your special and unique Vulcan S!
badkelly likes this.

2015 Kawasaki Vulcan 650 S w/ABS
Custom Paint, Delkevic Exhaust, Extended Seat
Former MSF Rider Coach
1986 Ninja 250R, 1988 Hurricane 600, 1986 Concours 1000, 1986 VFR700, 1987 VFR700, 1991 VFR750, 1987 EX500, 2001 R1200C, 2000 K1200RS, 1996 Tiger 900, and 2004 R1100 S Boxer Cup Replica #3/300
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 02:42 PM

Year/Make/Model: 97 VN800
Displacement/CC's: 800
Color: Red w/ Flames
Garage
Year:1997
Model: VN800
Eng size: 800 cc
Pipes: Custom manifold, 2.5" downpipe
Seat: La Rosa leather solo
Wheels: Factory
Accessories: Boss Audio 350W USB/SD W/ 2 6.5" in custom Guantlet enclosure origionally by Memphis shades.
And the story: I acquired this bike early last year not running. Once the ignition troubles were fixed, I got to work on the appearance.
---Rear fender struts have been relocated onto the swingarm( stock fender moves with the tire)
--- Solo seat with stiched flames rigid mounted(it is a soft-tail anyways)
--- Side mount license plate and brake light, undermout LED's
--- 16" Chrome Ape hangers w/ stainless braid cables/hoses
--- Red paint with silver flames
--- Memphis Shades Gauntlet fairing, modified to hold 2-6.5" speakers @350w, custom brackets

Once the looks were up to par...
24MM turbo on a custom manifold, along with all the goodies needed to make it run(too long to list).

Thanks for your consideration
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	turbo 800-2.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	166306   Click image for larger version

Name:	turbo 800-3.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	166314  
Toddster and Oceana650 like this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 10:53 AM
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012

Garage
That's a nice looking bike ya built 800Turbo.

I really like it when people do "outside the box" things to their bike...anybody can bolt on/off.. it's stuff like this that is one-off that I like.

Yes, I'm a Chrome Whore.

2004 Vulcan 2000
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 12:59 PM

Garage
Vulcan Custom
900cc
Britt Exhaust
Stock Seat
Stock Wheels

Green flames removed from fenders
Black OE highway bars
Kustom Werkz 10" Mini Apes
Britt Exhaust
OPT 7 LED headlight upgrade
Color matched Green Headlight Tint
Custom side-mount plate bracket
Custom Tag
Scorpio RIDE security tech
Smoked Integrated Taillight
Bluetooth Speakers System( Took off to install apes)

I bought the 900 in April of this year as my first bike. My pops has been riding for 20+ years and i finally joined the club. I love riding and have taken my love for customizing my classic cars to customizing the fine machine you see here. Hope you guys like it its not quite done but i recently did the mini apes and feel it makes this vulcan all mine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_1208 copy medium.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	166770   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1234 copy medium.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	166778  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 01:25 PM

2010 VN1700 Classic LT
Freedom performance exhaust
PC V tuner
Cobra Fatty hwy bar with Kury pegs
Tsukayu jumbo Hard strong bags
Jafrum windshield bag
Bestem luggage rack
stock seat for now. Memphis Shades lowers on the way.

I just finished a flawless 6752 mile road trip to the west coast and surrounding areas.
there are fancier, faster,louder, quitter, lots of other bikes around but this baby took it's beating like a champ and is ready to go again!
I 've had her for 3 years now and 36,XXX miles later we are building a great relationship.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20150725_090721.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	167322   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160515_181530.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	167330   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150725_091249.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	167338  
Toddster and Chicago_Cheech like this.

Ride it like you rented it!
Jimmy D
1700 Classic
FP combat 2 into 1
PC V
Tsukayu jumbo hard strong
Cobra fatty hiway bars
Kury pegs
Grasshopper backrest
Bestem luggage rack
go cruise throttle lock
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 06:20 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2011 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Metallic blue/silver
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Biker Dash
Some outstanding machines so far! I can already tell I will have some difficulty choosing which Vulcan is best. (in my opinion lol )

2011 1700 Nomad -- "Princess Celestia"
2003 1500 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 5.9 "Nightmare Moon"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode