Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Just a quickie

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Sarah93003 
#1 ·
My sister and I rode up north to visit a friend on Sunday who is recovering from a double mastectomy. The day was perfect. 78 degrees a light breeze and sunny skies. As we rode up the coast, with the Pacific Ocean just to our left I got lost in my thoughts, and in the moment. The sun shone down to warm my hands as I was taking in the salt air and a hint of eucalyptus in the wind. Surfers were catching a wave, sailboats were catching a breeze, and I was catching a taste....freedom.

We got to Lucy's house. She had a tri-tip in the oven and Fleetwood Mac, Rumors playing on the stereo. "Go Your Own Way" was playing as we walked in. We sat at the kitchen table and talked about good times, news, world events, and butterflies....friendship.

Lucy lives near Ellwood Grove where tens of thousands of Monarch butterflies migrate each year to mate and wait out the winter months. When they are ready they deposit their eggs on the milkweed plant and continue their journey. They hang from the limbs in huge clusters. It's quite the sight to see....rebirth.

After a while we walked toward the ocean and stopped at the cliffs perched at least 100' above the beach. I took it all in as the sun was beginning to set and families played in the sand and water, some holding hands and walking along. Santa Rosa and Santa Cruz Islands were on the horizon, a beautiful sight but for the large oil platform between me and the islands....possibility.

About sundown we began our ride north and home. Traffic was light as darkness came upon us. I don't wear my chaps and gloves until it gets pretty cold. As we made our way back along the coast you could feel the temperature drop 10-15 degrees when the road dipped down. Brrr. I kinda like it though. It makes you feel alive when you are just a little uncomfortable....bliss.

Later, the TV is on. Not much to watch really. I wouldn't pay attention to it anyway as I am still lost in my thoughts and still on my ride....satisfied.

My sister doesn't like to post in forums. So, I'll pop in from time to time to stay up on Vulcan 900 business on her behalf. Why? Because I believe Black Bikes Matter.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nothing like a good quickie !

All the best to your friend, my wife went through the same thing last year... 36 years old!

Take care
EG

#3 ·
My sister doesn't like to post in forums. So, I'll pop in from time to time to stay up on Vulcan 900 business on her behalf. Why? Because I believe Black Bikes Matter.
s93,, this is not very PC but All Bikes Matter.. well except maybe not those little ones:\ poncho

#10 ·
I'm not much on the Harley bandwagon, but I do like their style at times. And I must say, I LOVE that blue Harley. That is a sexy ride.

I'm sorry to read about your friend going through that. My aunt was a breast cancer survivor then ultimately succumbed to cervical cancer. Miss her terribly.

Does your friend ride too? Other than surviving cancer, not much else makes you feel as alive as riding does!

Reactions: Sarah93003
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.