beginner rider, Vulcan 500 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

beginner rider, Vulcan 500

Hello everyone. really excited about learning how to ride a motorcycle and that there is a special forum strictly just for Vulcans. I'm a 23 yr old female, just bought a used 2008 Vulcan 500 as a birthday gift for myself (in exactly 7 days). Hope to do a lot of learning and riding. Any tips and advice about anything would be amazing. Thank you much, hope to hear from someone soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 08:31 PM
Lifetime Premium

Welcome! Enjoy your new to you 500! I encourage you to take a Motorcycle Safety Class. It is the best way to prepare yourself for the confidence and safety of riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 08:51 PM

Bzan,

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new ride. I agree with taking the MSF course first then some parking lot time to help build confidence as you get on the road.

Ron M
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I have taken the course but it was on a sports bike. the cruiser feels different but i chose it because its more comfortable to ride.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 09:37 PM

Garage
Howdy Bazan! Happy Birthday, welcome and hope you have a long and fun relationship with your new scoot.

It ain't about where you live; it's about how you live. So, ride to live, Bruh.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 09:38 PM

Welcome to the forums!
Parking lots and back roads! Build your confidence on these and never ride past your internal limits. There are several threads here written by folks who have a knack for writing about safety, what to look for and what to look out for. Read up! and have fun! Ride safe................

2003 Vulcan 1600 Classic.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Another vote for taking the MSF. I also recommending picking up a copy of 'Proficient Motorcycling'. You can get a cheap digital copy if you have an eReader. Definitely worth the read whether your a veteran or a brand new rider.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 04:16 AM
Top Contributor

Hello & Welcome! Enjoy the scoot and Ride Safe!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Garage
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 10:04 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazan View Post
Thanks for the replies. I have taken the course but it was on a sports bike. the cruiser feels different but i chose it because its more comfortable to ride.
Welcome aboard! I took the course this past Spring. Since it was the Harley Rider Edge version I learned on the Buell Blast, so going home and sitting on my 30 year old GS450 was certainly different, especially how it handled.

What I did was ride around my neighborhood in ever widening circles. I planned routes that wouldn't have much traffic. After a week or so I tried the highway, but only from one entrance to the next exit, a couple miles.

Once I got a little more comfortable I created little destination goals, like riding to a park or to visit my parents a couple towns over. After setting the goal I would then think about what skills I would need to be able to complete it, and worked on those.

The ride to my parents was a good one because it made me work on riding in traffic with lots of lights, because I needed to cross downtown Portland to get there. It also meant that I needed to think about taking off on inclines. Though there was no way to prepare for driving across a large bridge with open grates, thats an eerie feeling you feel entirely disconnected from the road surface.

Anyhow, like was mentioned, do what you feel comfortable with.

Also, where are you from?

2000 VN800B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode