Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Back after 13+ years

565 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  MN-Rider 
#1 ·
Hey guys, my name is Scott, and just bought a bike this past weekend. This is the 2nd bike I have ever owned. About 12-13 years ago I bought a 2003 Suzuki GSXR 600 sport bike and I had that for a year or so until it was stolen. Havent rode a bike since, but kept telling myself one day I'd get another one.

Well here i am 37 years old now, and too old for a crotch rocket. Wanted a cruiser I could build out and customize a little into a bobber style, and just cruise around town on pretty days.

So this past weekend I finally bit the bullet and bought a 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Custom. The previous owner had already started to do a little bobber conversation on it (removed front and rear fenders, single leather seat). It needs a little work, but in overall great shape for 17 years old. Other than paint and bolt ons and a standard tune up, I dont think it needs much of anything. It is missing things like turn signals, tail light and i have found a few things wobbly and missing a bolt here and there. But for the most part, its the perfect project for me. as I didnt really want something that would be a full build from the frame up.

Here is a pic of my bike and a pic of my motivation. With the help of a friend and hopefully some of you guys, I plan to build my bike to look very close to the green bike. (smaller front wheel, white wall tires, drag bars, front and rear fenders, lights, powder coat rims, paint green and black parts all around, leather bags, etc)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I only rode the bike for maybe 10-15 minutes yesterday, but these are the issues I noticed when riding it yesterday.

1. When I took the air filter cover off, it doesn’t seem as though everything lines up. Definitely not a sealed connection. But at first glance, I wasn’t able to make it line up. Will take a little playing around.

2. When I start it up from cold, it seems to take a few tries and I have to give it gas. It will eventually start after 3-4 tries. But after that, it starts up immediately. Not sure this is a big deal or not but would just be nice if it started up immediately even when cold.

3. Once it starts, it just seems to idle kind of high. I don’t have a tach, but it just sounds and feels like it idles high. Even when cruising and you give it no gas at all and let off the clutch, it seems to be going at a pretty good speed. If I truly want to cruise, I have to pull in clutch. I realize with a bike this is normal to an extent, just seems a little bit much.

4. I don’t have a temp gauge, but it seems like the engine may be running a little hot. But may just be normal? The only bike I ever had was brand new and also had fairings on the side covering up everything.

5. When driving, it seems to have a slight hesitation when I give it gas. Again, this just may be the bike and its lack of power? But doesn’t seem like it has any instant power, even when I downshift. It almost kind of feels like as if you are always a gear too high with little power.

6. There seems to be a clicking or clunking sound coming from the rear of the bike. I can hear it when in motion and the bike also seems to feel like it “scoots” a little while driving…. Not sure if this is a chain issue?

7. The brakes work fine, but definitely don’t feel like they are brand new.

#3 ·
Welcome aboard. Looks like a fun project, wish I could help with your questions, but not familiar with the 800 enough to say diddly. I can advise you post in the V800 section below with the same posts as above and you will be more likely to get the info your looking for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.