Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Vulcan S second service

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  blackcow0212 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello!

I have 2015 Vulcan S and I put slightly over 3K on it since last June when I got it new. I serviced it the first time @ 600 miles and the book says it needs to be serviced the second time @ 3800. However I was told a different number at the dealership. They said 3200. Please advice out of your own experience

#2 ·
i would go with the 3200 mile service if it were me

#3 ·
if you have metric tools then we can probably walk you thru doing the service yourself, or you might consider investing in some metric sockets and racket which I recommend, when I first started out on an 800 i was nervous and lacked confidence in doing anything mechanical to my bike, but some guy years back gave me the self confidence I needed to do my own work, would you also like to learn how to do your own maintenance on your vulcan S ?

Reactions: IR1776
#11 ·
Hi btom, what exactly is the 3200/3800 miles service? is it just an oil change? I'm buying a 2015 Vulcan S (my very first motorcycle) tomorrow that has 3300 miles, pretty sure the seller didn't do the 3200 service yet (hopefully he did the 600 miles one)

Thanks!

#4 ·
With all due respect I see it like this .... leave the sky for the birds. I mean like I develop computer systems in the bank, so would you like your money to be handled by a professional or a motorcycle technician who was walked thru? )))

#5 ·
Lots of people don't have an interest in doing their own maintenance, and as long as their bike is kept in a manner that doesn't create a safety hazard; more power to them.

But, the idea that a person should avoid doing maintenance because a techs work is more trustworthy is ill-informed.
A little bit of research or spending some time asking about shop recommendations will provide a unending list of shop/technicians that not only perform substandard work but actually cause serious damage to vital components.

And as for the development of financial computer systems.
There are plenty of mistakes make during the coding and plenty more caught during the EXTENSIVE testing phase.
I'll put my faith in a technician when they put a tenth of effort in testing their work that system developers do.

Scott

#6 ·
i prefer not to leave oil in my bike too long, that's why I said 3200 miles for a service versus 3800

#8 ·
I personally prefer to change out my oil when the oil use mileage reaches 3,200. my book says longer but I prefer sooner

#10 ·
My '05 Vulcan 2000 arrives late next week (she was picked up in NC by the shipper yesterday!), and I know that she had just had a full service (and a new battery) before she was put on the truck. Once she's here, since I am somewhere around 40 miles from a dealer, I am eager to learn basic servicing myself. I'm all for being walked through stuff by the folks here. I have found them to be knowledgeable and outgoing and helpful. And I've already bought a metric set! So, learn what you want/need to. These folks are here to help. YouTube is also a good source (a shout-out to BrockGrimes!) for service vids.

Victor

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.