Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Dallas to Seattle at the end of the Month

918 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  rangemaster728 
#1 ·
Hi All-
I will be picking up a 2008 Classic LT 900 in Dallas at the end of the month (26K on the clock). It looks to be in good condition with UTD maintenance but I have no first hand knowledge. Anything I should be looking for or concerned about for this trip or this bike?
This will sound stupid but I have not rode a Vulcan yet. I do have a Honda CB300F and a Scooter I ride in and around Seattle. The 2005 Yamaha Majesty Scooter is for sale. Have not ridden a bike I was not comfortable on yet and will be taking it around Dallas for a few days while on business.
In any case, the Classic is supposed to be built for this type of trip so any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
agoodtoy (Kiel)
PS: Picture of the beast attached.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Tires are going to be a concern for the trip to OR. Listen for a pronounced whine that will indicate a failing stator.
Also, you may consider an air hawk or other type of seat pad. The 900 stock seat is pretty uncomfortable after a few hours.

Other than that, the VN900lt is great for that kind of task. Enjoy!

#4 ·
I rode my ZX9R Ninja from Auburn, WA to Daytona Beach, FL in October a few years back for Biketoberfest. 4000 miles in 6 days. (I used a gel seat pad and a Corbin saddle) Rode through TX including Dallas.

Take Interstate 40 to Barstow, CA and then take 58 to 395 and ride that up through the Sierras. It is a very beautiful ride with lots of curves and elevation changes. If you have a shortage of time, you can cut off west at Alturas on 299 to 139 and up to where 140 connects to 97 (this is a nice ride as well), then take that north until you decide to cross over to I-5 or go all the way up into WA and cut over on State Route 12 in Yakima and go over Mt. Ranier on SR 410 (my favorite route between Yakima and Auburn). The ride down 395 in CA is probably my favorite ride for overall scenery, elevation changes and curves. It is not a fast route, but it has plenty of towns to stop in along the way.

#9 ·
My brother used to live in Alturas. We took 139 to 299 on a trip to the coast once.
299 is a beautiful road. Would love to take it on a bike.
There were a couple of curves so sharp that I saw my own taillights.

#5 ·
That's an ambitious ride! The saddle on my 900 LT is comfortable, but it may be a bit hard for that sort of ride. Possible issues for the 900 LT have been mentioned, but apart from the stator problem (so far that is more problematic for '06 and '07 years than for later ones) they are rare. Have a great ride, enjoy the scenery and consider the route suggestions which have been noted on this thread, and enjoy the 900 LT!

#6 ·
Heater Holly Cow. That is a hell of a ride on a Ninja.

I have 5 days and thought I would basically go as the crow flies.

.Dallas>
Santa Fe>
Provo>
Boise>
Seattle.

I have never been through New Mexico, Want to see Arches and have an Uncle and Aunt in Boise plus my time is relatively tight. Anything one should pointedly skip on the route or make sure I see?

Attachments

#8 ·
If you only have five days and you have family to visit, I wouldn't recommend any detours. Only place sort of on your way is Dinosaur, Colorado. You'd be passing into UT through Vernal, SE corner of the state. It would add time to your return trip.

Too bad you can't do 395 up California, it is awesome, and this time of year it won't be unreasonably hot. And Flagstaff is a terrific stopover on that route. College town with some nice bars and restaurants.

#11 ·
Kiel:

Have a fun trip!
You might consider picking up a Crampbuster - it may help your wrist if you have that long a ride:

Plus - with a new-to-you bike I hope the first couple of days will be daylight-only operation while you get used to it.

Ride safe and let us know how the trip went...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.