Coolant Type/Check level - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Question Coolant Type/Check level

Hi everyone, glad to be a part of the forums. 2 questions.

First, I have a 2004 Vulcan 800 Classic.

Should I use a coolant for an aluminum engine "Dexrone". Or do I use regular coolant?

I do not see a low and high mark where I should be checking the coolant level? I see a little clear hose right below where I add coolant, on the right side right below the top of the exhaust. Is this where the high and low marks are or am I looking in the wrong spot? I do not see any coolant in the hose, should I, does this mean it is low? Any ideas or advice would be helpful as this is my first Vulcan and I have little knowledge about cruisers.

Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 03:10 PM
coolant check

Good day , mate .

original color of the coolant is green , so it should be quite visible thru the tube you are looking at . And , yes , that's the right place to look at , just below filler neck . If you use a flash light , you will notice 2 marks - low&high on the black plastic box , and your coolant level should be in between , not less and not more . If you do not see it , you better fill it up . Distilled water is the best , you can get it on every gas station , and you probably need very small amount , so pour slowly . Do not use tap water as it is too hard and will create scale inside your cooling system . As for the brand of coolant , I will let someone from your own country answer that one , as I am not familiar with that brand , but most of them are to be mixed with water on 50-50% ratio , and yes , it has to be one for the aluminium engines .
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Thx for the reply vroc, just received my Clymer manual today and it stated the use of aluminum engine coolant with a water mix. So I will use a mixture as you talked about above. Even the Clymer does not point out the specifics on the area where I am suppose to check the coolant, thank you so much for clearing that up!

- 2004 Vulcan 800 Classic -

- Member of the SCRC -
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 04:30 PM
When the engine is cold, remove the speedometer,
Unscrew the speedocable and disconnect the 2 connectors.
There is the top of the coolant system, remove/unscrew the cap (cold engine)
and you should see coolant. It's also good to check the color of it.
Traces of oil etc.

When you do not see coolant:
Fill it as mentioned above.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 04:43 PM
Lifetime Premium
I don't use aluminum specific antifreeze in my water cooled bikes. I don't think it matters in a motorcycle so much as it does in a car. The main thing you have to make sure you do is used distilled water, not tap water.

You can also use a mixture of water wetter and water, or water wetter, anti freeze and water. Redline and Hiltons make water wetter, and they have the forumula on the bottle for different options. Water wetter allows you to get slightly better cooling and if you use it with antifreeze you can use less antifreeze. If the bike is not going to be exposed to freezing temperatures you can use the water + water wetter formulation. This gives you the best cooling.
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode