Previous Owner's Problems Inherited
New to the forum and to Vulcans. Have had HD's in the past, enjoyed motocross when I was young and now also own a 1967 Triumph T-120 650 Bonneville Hardtail.
This is not really a question in so much as it is a request for specific detailed information since I am not a master electronics tech or electrician. Sure, I know some things but not all so that being said, I was given this current 98 VN800 Classic as "some" payment for work I performed on a home for some people.
When I took ownership of the bike it was stored with the negative battery cable connected for a period of what they said was at least approximately five months. Knowing that it is best to simply remove a battery I asked why they did not just remove the battery or at least disconnect the negative lead and was told they didn't expect it to sit so long but things happen and time goes by.
Well, living in Arizona there are violent thunderstorms during the Monsoon season. My question: Is it possible that the CDI, Starter Relay, Rec/Reg or Fuse Box could be destroyed if this was done and the bike had sat this way for this amount of time during this time of year? I suppose anything is possible but just wondering what damage could result. The bike was running the day it was stored albeit sputtering due to what I assumed was the CDI and carburetor based on what I already knew about the bike just by looking at it then.
I haven't had time to get back to the bike yet after towing it away recently so I haven't had more time to troubleshoot it. I am only going off of what a family member told me was still happening when I first tried to get it running again which is there is NO POWER coming OFF the left side of the bike. New battery with full charge, horn works, jumped radiator fan and it also works, tail lights work, brake light works but NO JOY from the Start Switch and all left side. Neutral switch and kickstand switch also check out OK. These people also had the disgusting habit of using copious amounts of Dielectric grease on all electrical connections so that has now been remedied.
I am not asking for troubleshooting. Yet that is. Haha! I just want to know from a professional point of view what the consequences are for storing a bike like this with the positive battery cable connected for such a long time.
I will post a new question when I get the chance to test continuity, resistance and current to the requisite components for a thorough troubleshooting. However, the manuals do not give a very good troubleshooting plan. Anyone out there with suggestions as to a detailed and good troubleshooting plan for this bike?
Last edited by Comanche; 11-06-2012 at 07:38 PM.