Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

radiator flush engine flush

10K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  Shores 
#1 ·
anyone have any info about flushing the cooling system?
have a 99 vulcan 800 and I'm sure its never been done.

two years ago i drained the coolant and put in fresh, but i'm sure it could use a good douche,
like with a caustic cleaner. radiator cap needs replaced, and there is crap in the upper hoses - so I'm
sure the block and radiator itself has to have crap in it. want that out.

last summer hot light came on more often. this is Florida so no surprise, but it's been lighting up a bit more often...

#2 ·
found the drain plug. 10mm right side, underneath, near the outer right of the engine.
pulled that out, no fluid flows, hmmmmm
pushed a small screwdriver up the thread holes and viola! water!! like a birth plug. dirty water, cant say its anti-freeze, just dirty rusty water,
ya, need some caustic chemicals inside this engine. maybe a new thermostat.

#3 ·
Kawasaki wants $50 for a thermostat and gasket.
pulled mine. cleaned it up with simple green.
looks OK, but would still have to boil it up and see if it opens.
not going to replace for 50 bucks.
anyone know a NAPA replacement for ten bucks?
I may just remove it altogether and run without. I dont ride if it's colder than 60 degrees, which these days in Florida is about never....

#4 ·
I did flush my cooling system last summer in a simple and classic way. Just drained the old coolant and flushed with a tap water from (and to) every hole I could find and open. Then I put everything together and filled it with clean distilled water, ran engine couple of times. Drained again, filled again (distilled water) and drained again. After some three or four such cycles I filled it with green (ready to use) aluminum compatible coolant. That's it.

P.S.
Filling up is a little tricky.
If someone needs, there's a video on YouTube how it's done by one of VN800A owners. (It's not me :D)

#5 ·
What Tehnis said.

Let the water flow out all openings.
These arent cars with heater cores and hard places to get to.
If your running hot AND you know the coolant section has crud, maybe it time for a new radiator?
That is the piece that can plug up with crud and make the engine hot.

#6 ·
Try filling and adding about a quart of distilled vinegar a couple times. Let run until fans comes on, drain and repeat. Do this until water comes out mostly, if not completely clear, then fill with 50/50 antifreeze.

#7 ·
I would not recommend to add any vinegar or any acid type fluid to any aluminum cooling system at all. It's Your decision, but it's mostly because of the way of green coolant works. The green one contains components which have "abilities to cure" microscopic aluminum damages and even repair micro leaks. If You apply vinegar to all system, You risk to rip off that protective layer, even together with some part of system's aluminum oxide, which been there for years! Well, if You still would take risks using vinegar, in worst case, You should wash only the most problematic parts. If it's, for example, radiator, take it off and wash it separately.

#8 ·
i go to the honda car dealership that sells auto parts and buy a jug of type 2 blue 50/50 pre-mix and change it every 2 years or less

#9 ·
Engine ice. Good stuff.

#11 ·
Made for bikes.

#14 ·
i use shell rotella t 5w40 diesel oil

#15 ·
and i still have not begun my 800 valve clearance check, i'm waiting to get motivated

#19 ·
wait, did someone say that shell rotella diesel 5w40 t6 is synthetic?
i thought t6 5w40 is a group III base stock oil, isn't synthetic from group IV base stock?

#23 · (Edited)
I also found it.
Yes, API SN will not fit. Sorry. :(
Damn! You have very expensive engine oils in US, compared to EU :surprise:

P.S.
When searching, remember, that You don't even need to go for a pure synthetics. (We don't have any catalytic systems, injectors and other new stuff.) Semi-synthetics and mineral oil also would be ok. Simply just to meet the needed requirements.

P.P.S.
Simple explanation of JASO
Choosing the right motorbike oil: What does JASO and JASO MA2 mean? - White Dog's Motorcycle Blog

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.