1995 Vn800 classic Hoses - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 1997 Kawasaki Vulcan VN800 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 800
Color: Black
Garage
1995 Vn800 classic Hoses

so I accidentally pulled a hose a long time ago and I don't know where it goes. it came from under my tank, has no colored tape and smells of gas. Also there is another one with green tape on it and I don't know where that one leads either. please help. if a very simple, colored diagram could be drawn up for me, that would be appreciated. I've looked in manuals and they are inconclusive. Right now my bike is behaving as if it is running out of fuel every 5 to 7 minutes. when sitting and on, its idle slowly decreases. on the road, it just bogs down and will start back up when I turn it over. some tell me this is due to a dirt carb. Any other causes? Please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 03:20 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: '05
Garage
can you take pictures and post them here?

Thunder Mfg teardrop 40's K&N 170MJ 48PJ 2.75turns DynoJet Needle DNO106 2nd notch V&H Cruzers Aeromach risers Michelin Commander IIs Shell Rotella 5w40 Wix 51358 17T/40 Sprockets
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yes of course. Didn't have time today but i will tomorrow evening.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
so I accidentally pulled a hose a long time ago and I don't know where it goes. it came from under my tank, has no colored tape and smells of gas. Also there is another one with green tape on it and I don't know where that one leads either. please help. if a very simple, colored diagram could be drawn up for me, that would be appreciated. I've looked in manuals and they are inconclusive. Right now my bike is behaving as if it is running out of fuel every 5 to 7 minutes. when sitting and on, its idle slowly decreases. on the road, it just bogs down and will start back up when I turn it over. some tell me this is due to a dirt carb. Any other causes? Please help.
what size hose?
i've been all over mu carb/engine/exhaust.
attaching a pic. only "marked green" hose I've seen is a carb vent. off the top of the carb on the right side (throttle side).
this pic just shows placement - hose runs underneath the frame and past the left side of the battery, then down to under the frame. pretty sure its a "vent" tube.

what size is that unmarked hose? 1/4" inside? left side (clutch side) of the bike? maybe it's your vacuum to the fuel petcock.
these bikes dont flow fuel from the tank unless the engine is running, pulling vacuum to open the fuel valve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16602599_1450127448332191_7271609960410668822_n.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	182489  

1964 Yamaha 90cc - hacked up to loose weight and riden in the dirt
1981 Suzuki 450E - bought new
1983 Suzuki 1100ES - bought new
1983 Yamaha Maxim 750 - resurrected from the scrap pile
1999 Vulcan 800 - resurrected from the scrap pile

Last edited by Brewster_440; 02-14-2017 at 11:09 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 10:12 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
in that picture with hose with green tape on it, that's a air vent hose, it vents atmospheric air pressure to the inside of the carb bowl

Thunder Mfg teardrop 40's K&N 170MJ 48PJ 2.75turns DynoJet Needle DNO106 2nd notch V&H Cruzers Aeromach risers Michelin Commander IIs Shell Rotella 5w40 Wix 51358 17T/40 Sprockets
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 03:42 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Right now my bike is behaving as if it is running out of fuel every 5 to 7 minutes

i filled up once at a gas station, and rode for about 5 minutes and the bike died. I opened up the gas cap and heard a swish of air rush into the tank. then i started the bike and all was good for another 5 minutes. then i thought, there's a vacuum in the tank, so i blew out the vent line and all was good after that, that experience taught me not to over-fill the tank and plug up the gas tank vent hose that needs to breathe freely to the outside air

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by btom View Post
Right now my bike is behaving as if it is running out of fuel every 5 to 7 minutes

i filled up once at a gas station, and rode for about 5 minutes and the bike died. I opened up the gas cap and heard a swish of air rush into the tank. then i started the bike and all was good for another 5 minutes. then i thought, there's a vacuum in the tank, so i blew out the vent line and all was good after that, that experience taught me not to over-fill the tank and plug up the gas tank vent hose that needs to breathe freely to the outside air
you blew out the vent line? where is that?

today i seafoamed the carb. Much of it ended up on the ground because it leaked out of the air cleaner drain, where there should be a line running to i-don't-know-where. tomorrow i will do the fuel treatment version of seafoam. Should this be effective?

the green line was found running from the carb to an area under the battery. i'm assuming that end is open...? that other line i was talking about is completely removed from the bike and smells of fuel. it too was open ended. i just don't remember what side of the bike it was on. I'm going to post these photos for your assessment and examination but i'd like to reiterate that the previous owner let it sit for 8 months
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
i think there was a problem posting the pictures
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
yeah the posting methods offered by this site aren't working
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 08:28 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
you blew out the vent line? where is that?

that gas tank vent line needs more explanation, the line i blew out was the one going from the little hole at the gas cap, i just opened up the gas cap and used my mouth to blow out the gas in that vent line, the line goes from the gas cap to the outside air underneath the bike, it is for allowing outside air to enter the inside of the gas tank as the gas in the tank depletes down, if no air is replaced then it created a vacuum inside the gas tank and that will stop the gas flow to the carb. also underneath the gas tank are 2 hoses connected to the nipples under the tank, those 2 hoses are air vent lines and exit underneath the bike to the outside air.
the carb itself has 1 hose going to the petcock, that's a air vacuum hose that is used by the petcock to open up a small plunger in the petcock to let the gas flow to the carb bowl, another hose on the carb is a air vent hose at the top of the carb that vents to the outside air, that hose can exit anywhere and can end open ended near the battery or in one of the side covers, that hose is to let the air in the carb bowl to vent, that hose has a little green tape on it and it is open ended to the outside air. the other hose on the carb is your gas line hose, there's a cable also on the carb , that one is your choke cable

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode