Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

issues...

5K views 47 replies 8 participants last post by  sfair 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello. My97 Vulcan 800 has a 4 day old battery in it. started just fine up until yesterday and it won't start unless push started. Solenoid under the seat makes fast clicking noise and starter doesn't turn when attempting electric start.

Another thing. My headlight is out despite the new expensive bulb. Checked fuse box on the bike's left side under the seat and the fuses appeared to be fine. Checked connections and the endings on the inside of the connectors and they too appeared to be fine. Anywhere I could find a new headlight wiring harness specifically? I'd like to to be as plug and play as possible

#2 ·
Almost sounds like you have a bad battery. Have you tried jumping it from a known good battery? Your vehicle will be fine to jump it with as long as you do not have the vehicle running. Have you checked the charging system voltage?

#3 ·
I haven't checked the voltage on the charging system. I have yet to purchase a multimeter. What points would I be checking from?
Also that'll be the second battery it has gone through. I replaced the stator and regulator about 2 days ago. It sucked the life out of the battery I had literally just purchased for it on the 29th of December when I ran it that day. Got the new battery after I replaced the stator and regulator, ran it a few times and now it doesn't have enough juice to start.

#4 ·
If the bike can be started, a place to start when checking voltage is at the battery terminals. The voltage should be in the neighborhood of 13.8 - 14 volts with the engine running. Check voltage with the engine idling and also at above idle speed. You mentioned that you had a new bulb in the headlight - is that bulb one which has a higher lighting output than OEM? If when doing the elementary voltage check as above the voltage is OK, then if your headlamp is a high output type it may be that the bike's charging system doesn't deliver enough current to run the headlight and take care of the bike's other electrical requirements, which eventually will deplete the battery.

#5 ·
the bulb does have a higher output than OEM. i replaced the original because the headlight stopped working so i got a new one to rule out the possibility of it being the bulb. Another thing i'm wondering about is after a run, my gas cap lets out a soft tooooooooooooooot or a gentle whistle. Why is this? once i open the gas cap, a release of pressure follows as if there was a build up of vapors within the tank. Is this normal?

#8 ·
1) My experience tells me that any new car/motorcycle/whatever battery should always be fully charged prior using.
2) Not having a simple multi-meter is really a pain. Well, You can take a simple low wattage 12V bulb and make a simple wire tester to find out if there's a voltage on any electrical contact in wiring, but it will not help to test Your alternator for charging abilities :(
3) Go the easiest way. Get a multimeter or a simple voltmeter first.

#9 ·
Ah I see. With a new stator and regulator (replaced because the seller said it did need a new one), what could be the issue with the charging system?
My tail and brake lights work minus the signal lights since I took those off to replace them.

#10 ·
Another thing i'm wondering about is after a run, my gas cap lets out a soft tooooooooooooooot or a gentle whistle. Why is this?

that can happen when filling up the gas tank too full to the top and gas gets into the air vent tube which then creates a blockage of air to the tank which then creating a vacuum inside the tank, just blow out that vent hole somehow at the gas cap opening to expel any gas that's inside that air vent tube

#11 ·
You will need a meter to troubleshoot this issue.

We can help with the purchase and use if you want to do this yourself.

As to the whoosh, after a run, the engine heat rises up and heats the air and gas in the tank which causes a build up in tank pressure, but not enough to trip the pressure release valve. When you open the cap, the excess "pressure" vents causing the whoosh.

#13 ·
youtube is your friend, i would search around on it and find some vids that explain how to use one, i don't know how to use a multi-meter just thought i would put that in as a suggestion to help

Reactions: Damien
#17 ·
I'm not home, currently to check it but I'm quite sure that the battery is drained. it now needs a jump to get going. when I get home I will check the battery but once the reading shows up as well below the norm, what then? buying another battery wouldn't be very smart since I've already done that once, and then had THAT one replaced under warranty. Now this one is drained just the same as the last.

#19 ·
I think with motor running, and leads put on battery posts, should read over 13.5v at idle

#20 ·
oh, I just checked google, a good battery with bike not running battery should read 12.6v, and bike running should read 13.7v to 14.7v

#25 ·
Yep. Agreed

If you don't have these readings. Your stator is in all likely hood bad. Push starting your bike does nothing to make any lights work. If you had fuel injection you would be able to even do that. (push start). When you charge up you battery and run the bike it uses up the juice and does not replenish. Open the oil fill plug. Take a good wiff/sniff. If it smells terrible eggs sulfur or burnt electrical. It's a bad stator. It can still be bad if there is not bad smell. But if it reaks you will know. Good luck.

#23 ·
1. I do not recommend jump starting. You learn nothing and put certain systems and yourself at risk.
2. Get a small Battery Tender, or similar and charge the battery. One cannot troubleshoot an electrical with a battery that is of unknown condition.

Post back with final battery reading after charge.

#28 ·
Correct

That is why I said if it does not smell it could still be bad. But if it does smell it is bad. If you put a charged battery in. It will start. You need the meter to confirm there is not 14v when running. Right now with out loose connections or a bad wire. You have a bad battery or stator IMO. Does the 800 have a regulator? I have the manual will look it quick. Post back if I see anything. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.