Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

2001 Vulcan 800 Classic

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  btom 
#1 · (Edited)
Howdy all?

I have just bought a 2001 800 with a bit over 9000 miles on the clock. It is in pretty good shape overall. It has every extra I could have asked for: Windshield, crash bars, sissy bars, passenger backrest, saddle bags, and running lights.
This bike has not moved in over 2 years. I had to do a bit of carb surgery to bring her back to life. It still has a tendency to want to stall when I give it too much throttle. I think it just needs a bit of seafoam to clear up any clogged passageways and it should be fine.
I have no records of any maintenance that was done to this bike. I will start by draining the oil, removing the oil filter, flushing the coolant, flushing the rear brake oil, then I will replace the engine oil, put a new oil filter, replace the coolant and put in fresh brakes oil. This should make the bike a lot happier. However, I have read that I needed to check the valves clearance. I am not an expert on the Vulcan 800 engines, but my bike did run smoothly sounding like a sewing machine. So much for a cruiser that wants to look like a Harley. I doubt that there are any issues with the valves. How would one diagnose valve clearance issues without having to delve into the engine itself? I mean the engine is as smooth as butter and there are no ticking or rattling sounds of any kind. Just the comforting hum of a well designed Japanese bike.
I have checked a couple of videos on YouTube but they did not show the procedure to remove the heads of the cylinders to gain access to the valves.
Here are my questions now:
1. Do I have to check the valves clearance on a bike with 9000 miles
2. How easy of a job is this?
3. Where can I find valve affordable valve shims for the Vulcan 800?
I forgot to add that I bought this bike for $650 and it came with a Clymer service manual. The previous owner was moving and literally dumped it rather than sold it.
I forgot to add the the owner is a very successful salesperson for a large supermarket chain, Meijer to be precise, and I would think that he had some maintenance done to the bike by a Kawasaki dealer. However I was overjoyed when I got the bike for so little money that I did forget to ask him about it.
I will post some pictures later on today or tomorrow at the latest.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
The book says check shims at 600 miles (Most people dont) and then every 6000 miles so yes I would check them it is not that hard to do youtube has videos. ebay has shim kits for around 50 bucks ( hotcams HCSHIM02 ) I have a pdf of the Kawie service manual but it is to big to post here so PM me your email and I can send it to you.

#3 ·
for coolant I found Honda Type 2 50/50 blue premix at the Honda car dealer, wix 51358 oil filter,

and it came with a Clymer service manual

I find that Clymer's is not as good as the Kawasaki Service Manual for 98-05 vn800, have it printed off and put in a binder

#4 ·
I personally would NOT use any car coolant. Bikes use deionized water because tap water causes corrosion. They have motorcycle specific coolant that dont need to be mixed at any power sports store that is made for aluminum motors.

#5 ·
I thought all Honda cars have aluminum motors

Reactions: revrider
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.