Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

2001 VN800B electrical issues

3K views 31 replies 7 participants last post by  rick 
#1 ·
Howdy, y'all! This is my first bike ever and I'm having to do some work to her. I can't get it to start. While reading this just assume i overlooked all obvious answers.

When I got the bike, before replacing anything, I could get it to crank by jumping the relay across the posts and jumping the bike's battery off a spare truck battery.

The bike's battery tested good at autozone, so I kept it, but replaced the relay because the previous owner had rigged up some aftermarket busted one. After replacing that relay. I got to the "key on, warning lights light, hit starter button, relay clicks, lights die for a little" stage.

After a month of tinkering and finally buying a multimeter (analog. :p) and doing a lot of reading on this forum, I came to the conclusion that the battery was bad.

Now I replaced the battery with a cheaper "add the acid" battery. I installed it and checked/cleaned as many connections as i felt comfortable tracing to on my own. Now the damn lights don't even come on.. I double checked the connections I messed with and all is good far as I can tell! I'm getting lost. I don't know the electrical systems of a bike at all, even though I'm sure it's simple enough.

I apologize for the long post, but like I said it's my first bike and I really do appreciate any and all help. I'm determined not to take her to a shop as it'll save money and I can learn soooo much tinkering with it myself!

HELP??

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi, may be a silly question but have you checked the main 30a fuse on the starter relay?

Radar

#3 ·
Yessir, I sure have. Let me say that in the left-hand side compartment there is a gray cylinder deal that is attached to the frame with brass spacers and has one green and one red wire going to it. I took that off and cleaned it up. There is also a lot of other harnesses and connections in that compartment. I did not mess with those.

How do you know which side of the relay is supposed to be positive? Mine has a "B" on one side near the post and the other side has a "M".

#16 ·
Okay, remember that young and dumb thing... Had the leads on the relay reversed. Now I'm back to the relay giving me 1 click and then dash lights die. Head/brake light never dies. Is there a fuse box I can check? I'd also like to check the starter motor, but I'm thinking I should still get a "machine gun" effect, not just one and done.

#21 ·
OK, we have to recap because this wiring has obviously been tampered with. This makes it even tougher to troubleshoot on the internet.

1. Starter solenoid, battery have been replaced.
2. Headlight (it should not), tail light come on with key on.
3. Engine will not crank with switch on handlebar.
4. Engine will start by jumping start solenoid.

Is all of the above correct?

#23 ·
sounds like a rigged up system. my first thought would be to check the start switch. if you have a fully charged battery, you shouldn't be shorting and dying that quick... it screams short to me... either that, or the battery isnt strong enough in cranking amps... not likely the starter. im a new rider, but ive been playing with electrical systems on things for a while. also, see if you can dig up the starting requirements on your bike. my truck requires somewhere between 13 and 14 volts for normal operation. it will start with less, but it cranks slow.

#27 ·
I believe the battery ground goes straight to the motor at the base of the rear cylinder on the back side of cylinder. Its an 8mm bolt head you get to from the right side if I remember right. Make sure your connection here is clean and tight.

#32 ·
Think there should be positive cable from battery, a plug with smaller wires next to the main fuse and another cable like the positive cable that goes to the starter. Been awhile since I've looked at mine, but believe this is right. I could be wrong. It happened once when I married my 1st wife.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.